Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Words of advice

AirForceNUT's picture
August 1, 2014 at 2:31pm
32 Comments

Hey fellow buckeyes! I'm getting married tomorrow (because all my Saturdays will be booked watching you know who) if it's not to much to ask I'd like to ask all the fellow married people for some kind words of advice.  I don't know if ill be able to send many replies since I'll be at my rehearsal soon but I will when I get the chance. I will definitely sit down and read everything. Thanks everyone!

This site is amazing and I love 99% of all you guys!

Go Bucks!!

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Run...run now

UFM_Renewal

+11 HS
BierStube's picture

Love her as much as this site and you will be fine ..

Also.. watch out for these guys!

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+3 HS
sharks's picture

At my reception, we had a small wedding cake for the ceremonial cutting. We had two huge Giant Eagle sheet cakes in the back that we served. They tasted great, and we saved at least $500. No one knew it was grocery store sheet cake until we told them later.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
Bluke221's picture

Wow, wish I had read this two months ago. Would have saved some cash.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

Sebastian's picture

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
WezBuck28's picture

A few years down the road, you will look back and think " why didn't we just have a small wedding, we could have saved so much money!", at least that's how I felt lol

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Not married but I hear Prozac is a good thing to have.

BierStube's picture

Here are some things not to do ..

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

No advice...but congrats and best of luck.

(Damn wise of you to get the wedding and honeymoon out of the way, just in time for kickoff)

Buckeye Knight's picture

Don't go to sleep angry at each other.

Don't let the word "divorce" slip out unless you absolutely, 100% mean it.  Don't use it in a heated argument.  Once the word and idea are out there, it's a much tougher road to happiness and becomes easier to say in the future.

+9 HS
mh277907's picture

I got a wife. Kids. Do I sound like a happy guy to you, Frankie? Yea, there's my wife. Yea, see that. Always smiling. Hi honey. Judging. Watching. Look at the baby. Look at the baby.

Alright, let me be the first to say congratulations to you, then. You get one vagina for the rest of your life. Real smart, Frank. Way to work it through.

buckeyebobcat

+6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I got married a little over a year ago.... 

First off, congrats. It really is a big deal whether you think it is or not...

Secondly, if you're looking for advice for the actual wedding, try to soak in as much as you can. It will go fast. Pick out an important moment (when she walks down the isle, first dance, etc.) and try to remember it. There's a lot of little moments that you can overlook during the whole thing. Also, don't worry too much about other people... I spent a lot of my wedding walking around making sure people were having a good time... but looking back at it, who the hell cares? It's you and your wife's day so as long as you guys have a good time that's all that matters.

If you want advice on marriage in general, I might not be the best person since I've only been married for a little over a year. But I will say that things DO change. Me and my wife were together for 3 years and already had a house, 2 dogs and 2 cats before we got married. I thought things would just go on being the same as they were but they did change. People continuously change and it's important to know that and accept it and be understanding of it. That's my best advice....

Oh! And remember to do WHATEVER she says.... No matter what it is. Just do it. And always apologize for whatever you did wrong... even if you didn't do anything wrong. Just apologize and try to never do it again.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+4 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Coming up on 10 years myself, and I'll humbly offer you only this much advice.  Everyone's relationship is different, but the one thing I guarantee is that your relationship will change over the years.  Note the changes and enjoy them, both in yourself and in your wife.  Good luck!

+1 HS
Findog5's picture

Negotiate game day Saturday is sacred. For you and football. Get it out of the way now. Get up every Saturday and start a tradition such as go to grocery store, buy ingredients for Chili and serve to the family. Seems to allow me to sack out all day and watch without getting the big guilt trip!

NCFinn

Nappy's picture

Don't stop dating each other just because you're married.

Fan of bacon since 1981

+9 HS
allinosu's picture

Hope you found someone who feels about the buckeyes as you so you can change it from nut to nuts.

BucksfanXC's picture

I'll agree with most of what the others said. Communicate always. Don't hide shit, don't bottle shit up inside, just talk it all out and if you are marrying her that shouldn't be an issue to talk to her about even the most difficult stuff. Marry is a verb, always keep working on it.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

My best advice is about the bad times because the good times are easy:

Don't ever consider divorce as an option.  You married each other because you love each other and always will.  This is the promise you make to each other.  When bad times hit, and they will, you both need to remember this promise.  Sometimes the bad times are so overwhelming and unbelievable that its way easier to consider a divorce and get out.  You're part of a team now and the whole is greater than the sum of its part.  Work together and compromise, and together you can defeat anything. Best wishes. 

Read my entire screen name....

+5 HS
Earle's picture

Learn how to lose an argument without conceding (or appearing to concede). There are a lot of things that are not worth fighting over, even if you know you are right.  Let her win some, let her think she wins some more, but never let her know that you are letting her win.  And a surprising amount of the time you'll come to realize that she was right after all.  Unless she's an idiot, in which case you really shouldn't  marry her, anyway.  Unless you're an idiot too, in which case you'll get along fine, and can forget everything else I said.

Italics are for emphasis.

+8 HS
Oyster's picture

This site is amazing and I love 99% of all you guys!

I wouldn't take it personally... 

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

hodge's picture

Congrats man.  I'll be joining you in a touch over two months from meow.

+1 HS
rosycheeks's picture

"Meow." Start the clock!

osu07asu10's picture

All sound advice from above.

A pastor I grew up with and a good family friend told me that marriage isn't about you, it's about your wife. And for her, it's about you and not her.

Keep that in mind and you'll be just fine!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

1. Enjoy time with each other for a few years at least, before having kids. 

2.  Learn to forgive and forget.

3. Forget about trying to be right or win an argument. Learn how to stand down. It'll make all the difference. Believe me. 

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

Mookie331's picture

I just got married last month and one of my regular bar guests gave me some words. He told me that you can do whatever you want in a relationship, as long as you tell your significant other that you didn't enjoy yourself without her. Women get jealous. If she asks you if you had fun doing an activity, play it down a little. Happy wife, happy life. Can any married men tell me if this sounds like it would make sense? I don't know if it's stupid or brilliant. 

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Not too far off Mookie - 24 years of being married to my best friend - it doesn't get any better than this.

Word of advice - Never disrespect your wife especially in front of other people and especially to get a laugh. If you do you're on your own digging your own grave.

+1 HS
Mookie331's picture

Seattle your on point! Never humiliate your spouse in public. Wise words my man. I would up vote that but I haven't lost my black stripe. 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

There I upvoted you - that will help you by one - I liked your Cleveland via Cleveland - on your profile - classic. 

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

I would like to congratulate you on the marriage.  I would also like to compliment you for choosing a wedding date before the season started.  Wise man

Go Bucks!

villagebuckeye's picture

Best words of advice I can give you are take your time before having kids.  I love my kids more than anything but your life will never be the same.