Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Hornet

Buckeye1996's picture
July 13, 2014 at 8:48pm
44 Comments

Got nailed right below the eye by a hornet while staining my fence first freak'n thing this morning. Now I look like I took a left hook from Bosa.

He was straddling my eye while I was screaming like a little girl. Man I hate that feeling when they grip you right before they nail you. And it was my freaking eye!

Had to share this as it was frightening. My life literally flashed before my one eye.

Sharing it is my therapy. :)

mtrotb's picture

Got a picture?

mtrotb

-1 HS
Buckeye1996's picture

No. But I guess I could take a selfie. I'm a little old for those...lol.

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

dude wtf is that real

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Of course it's real. The animated electricity is the clincher.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And you cried like a little sissy girl. 

+3 HS
Buckeye1996's picture

The hornet that hit me was way bigger. Like the size of a B52.

+7 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I was at Joyce park earlier this year and seen a hornet that had to of been close to 4 inches long,and it sounded like a miniature Apache helicopter as it was clearing this flower patch looking for bees to eat. I was so intrigued I started googling looking for exactly what this thing actually was. Closest thing I could find was a giant Asian hornet but they still seemed small compared to this thing and wtf would a Asian hornet be doing in Fairfield,Ohio? Anyways I guess the point of my story is hopefully you didnt have a run in with one of these beast creatures because they were vicious as hell. Get well quickly football is right around the corner.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Buckeye1996's picture

We get nests of these things (not the kind you are talking about) and it seems they attack in droves. Luckily I only ran into one. He must of been out all night partying and lost his way.

My wife quit mowing the yard when she was attacked by whole platoon...lol. She was unusually lumpy for a few days.

Boxley's picture

That's most likely exactly what it was. We have had them start in growing numbers here in Ohio over the past two years. Another bonus of all those cargo containers coming here  from Asia. The one thing that is nice about them is that they really do not go after people. But those big suckers are intimidating as hell when the swoop in like a Chinook, thrumming very loudly.

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

+1 HS
rider1's picture

Benadryl and ice! Had a hornet get stuck between my forehead and helmet on a recent motorcycle ride. Almost set my bike down.

+1 HS
rider1's picture

Benadryl and ice! Had a hornet get stuck between my forehead and helmet on a recent motorcycle ride. Almost set my bike down.

Knarcisi's picture

Those fuckers hurt. Got hit one time cutting the grass. They were in the ground. Felt like rocks hitting my legs from the lawnmower. Went up my shorts, stung my ass and all. I ran up to my garage, peeled all my damn clothes off. Any neighbors saw me, they'd a thought I was crazy. 

-1 HS
Buckeye1996's picture

How about the cherries? Now that would hurt!!!

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

That would have definitely provoked a chemical warfare attack from me. 

+2 HS
Buckeye1996's picture

Yep, and if you promise not to tell. A pint or two of gasoline in strategic locations work wonders.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Last time I got nailed I ran inside, waited for the swarm to subside, then I came back out with a can of Raid in each hand and began shooting as if I were doing a remake of the Boondock Saints!

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

An appropriate response IMO. 

whiskeyjuice's picture

Hope this helps........

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+11 HS
Buckeye1996's picture

That's why I love my fellow Buckeyes. Always there to help those in need.

whiskeyjuice's picture

That looks extremely uncomfortable and terribly painful

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

Chiggers dug under all of my toe nails once. J/k. But these stories are horrible. Making me cringe.

+1 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Which Bosa would you say you took the left hook from?

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

does it matter?

Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates. Football is no different, the guys down in the trenches win the games, not the coach.            

+2 HS
MackRM408's picture

Picture or it didnt happen

-2 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

I've never had any problems.....

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

toad1204's picture
You gotta take the fight to them... This thing uses D batteries.  

http://t.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-40122.html?utm_referre...

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+3 HS

Probably shouldnt let these things act like house pets.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS

allinosu's picture

I was bush hogging around my hayfield about 15 years ago and caught a tree with my front end loader and bag that looked like an old deflated leather basketball fell right into my lap full of hornets. I have never seen anything so angry and defensive in my life.

+2 HS
buckskin's picture

Feel your pain man. I once got stung by a hornet on my leg. That little *ucker looked like a pissed off Dewalt drill. He was a tad ANGRY!

+1 HS
1MechEng's picture

I was biking and got a yellow jacket in the mouth. Before I could get it spit out, it stung the inside of my bottom lip. I ended up looking like one of the tribesman from Africa that expands their lips using plates ...

As for big hornets/wasps, we have the cicada killer wasps here in NW Ohio. Large insects! Only the females can sting, I think.

Cicada Killer Wasp
+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Typically Cicada killers won't attack humans...unless you get ahold of it and ball it up in your hand

UFM_Renewal

OSUStu's picture

I would also advise people not to poke a rabid dog with a stick.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Really? I do that all the time.

No, I was just saying they won't seek you out, you have to go piss them off...also they don't "nest" in the traditional sense of the word. Typically you'll see mound of dirt in the yard,there will be 1 entrance/exit hole that will extend 6-8 inches. Cicada killers are solitary insects, using the sting to paralyze cicadas for the offspring.

They do, however, look like they could take down an elephant  

UFM_Renewal

BierStube's picture

If Bosa had given you a left hook:

1. it would be a lot worse than the hornet

2. you would be in no condition to post

Seriously.. hope you are feeling better!

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+2 HS
RubixTube's picture

I remember volunteering to help an elderly lady that my mom knew by working on her riding more then using it to mow her 3 acre lot.  Once I got the mower running & out to the far back end of the lot, the hornets who had decided to nest in the deck of the mower decided that the loud noise & fanning blades were not for them.  First sting was on the back of my hand (gearshift), the next 20 were a combo of legs, torso & back.  43 stings and the last time I volunteered to help anyone.

2 most important rules of successful businessmen:
1. Never share everything you know....

+1 HS

That probably taught you to not help  the elderly learn how to ride more. =)

+1 HS
RubixTube's picture

amazing how work can influence even the most mundane aspects of an interweb post.  Riding mower* makes more sense....and helps to reduce the creepiness factor of the story.  TY for the catch, Gport.

2 most important rules of successful businessmen:
1. Never share everything you know....

+1 HS

Ah I was just yanking your chain here is a couple UV's to help you through the morning.

js2378's picture

Japanese Giant Hornet. Grows up to 2 inches long, is attracted to human sweat and alcohol, and has venom that destroys red blood cells. You can't even run from them as they are known to chase people. 

It's sometimes ok to scream like a little girl. Some bugs are terrifying.

+1 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

We found a sizable hornet's nest outside of our front door this past weekend. After spraying it with hornet and wasp killer from the furthest possible distance, I waited a few days for it to take effect. 

When the time came to take the nest down, I went outside armed with a broom and shovel and laced up P.F. Flyers just in case I needed to run. 

I hope none of the neighbors saw me because it was impossible for me to look cool while hoping I didn't get stung by a hornet from Hell who returned to the nest to find his entire family slaughtered. I saw Gladiator and The Patriot. Vengeance is scary.