Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

703Buckeye: The Soccer/Futbol Fan

703Buckeye's picture
June 29, 2014 at 2:58pm
19 Comments

On today's (6/29) World Cup Open Thread, an upset Mexican fan started a rant about his fanhood and how "90 percent" of fans, like me, will be gone after this month. I was going to write a response in that thread but it would have gone too far off-topic. I will just share the response here...

bucknutfern4, I'll be completely up front with you. I was the kid who was too slow/big to be any good at soccer and therefore did not follow it with the same attention and passion as you may have. I made my career playing football in high school and college; it's what I'm truly knowledgeable and passionate about.

However, I do enjoy following soccer during major tournaments like the World Cup and Olympics; I enjoy cheering for my country, I don't think that's such a bad thing. To keep things relevant to this site, there are many OSU football fans who don't show themselves outside of bowl season or the M!chigan game. I may know more about OSU football than them because I follow the team year-round, but that does not make me any more of a "fan" than they are. As a matter of fact, I welcome those fans whenever they do come around. The only time fans annoy me is when they switch allegiances on a whim to whoever is winning at the time.

Feel free to share your thoughts, feelings, criticisms, etc.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

My feelings are the same as always on this topic...

Americans don't follow soccer as religiously as they do other sports.

So what?

Wrestling is the sport dearest to my heart yet even fewer people follow it. Somehow I've managed to survive.

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I've never derided the casual football fan who goes nuts over the Super Bowl or a college bowl game, not sure what the backlash is over "part-time" soccer fans like myself who just want to support their national team.

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather focus my energy supporting the team and enjoying it all, rather than lashing out at those fans who just aren't as "fanatic".

EDIT: I'm catching up on all this. Please stay on topic without any further singling out and/or unnecessary back and forth.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Soccer and college football are my two favorite sports. I have room in my life and brain to follow both passionately and year round.  I don't understand why people act like is one or the other...football vs soccer. Or act as if you can't be in to only the big events? If folks are only into for the World Cup every four years, great, welcome aboard. What's wrong with that?  Support your country. 

i love my country and the men's national team but I do not care about the MLS at all. The only time I keep an eye on it is if a USMNT player is doing something. I've been to Europe a number of times, South America, Central Ameica and all over this great country and love talking soccer with other fans...college football as well. I've played soccer in Europe and I've been to pro and national team matches there. I watch tons of EPL and follow it daily, La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga, and especially Champions League.  Does that mean I too can't cheer for the USMNT?

I welcome any folks who are into it and/or just simply here to support the US every 4 years. I also don't give a shit if you don't like soccer, or college football for that matter. But what I don't want to hear is people put it down or say its stupid or sucks.  There are plenty of sports I literally could not care any less about but I respect there's history, pageantry and people are entertained. Soccer is a great game with great passion, if you don't like it, cool don't watch and don't come to comment negitive shit. I LOVE soccer and I too don't like the diving, never did, but I love the game...your snarky comments won't change my opinions. 

I have never watched swimming (for example) in my life other than the Olympics but will support the USA in all it's endeavors. 

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

This whole conversation about Americans and Soccer needs to end. Its incredibly redundant and it always comes around during the WC. After the WC, the soccer bandwagon fans who choose to enjoy the sport now but never any other time will go back to bashing it, emphasising the diving and rolling around instead of the play that makes up 99.9% of a match. Ive seen posts about gauging athleticism of soccer players, some even doing the standard/ridiculous thing of trying to compare Soccer and American Football as sports when they are entirely different. Europeans are tired of hearing the "America has REAL Football", mainly because the term 'football' more accurately describes soccer rather than American football and it comes off as stupid. I think anti-soccer Americans are tired of people trying to convince them to like it. If you like it, great, if you don't, great. Just stop talking about it.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
rosenbuck's picture

Who doesn't love this sport?

Edit: full version is even better.

+5 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

I wish I could UV this more than once ... it's freakin' awesome Rosenbuck!

Seattle Linga's picture

This always makes me laugh 

bucknutfern4's picture

Bro you dont even have to worry about being to big or too slow to not have excelled at futbol at a young age. I was never in any sort of physical condition to play it either but I grew up watching soccer and I saw why it is the most popular sport in the world. And it wasnt much your lack of a fanhood it was more the backlash I got for stating my love for my heritage and my second home. Getting downvoted for loving my country I was dissappointed that even something like that would get a negative reception. That irked me and it got under my skin. I Love my bucks every day of the year and i know you all feel the same way so i thought if a fellow buckeye would show his love for his team maybe you guys would undestand it. Plus it wasnt like I was bashing anyone in my original post. I realize i was out of hand in my response to your post(sorry) but seeing how others responded to my first post was a bit to much for me and i might have taken it out on you.

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I admit I have some dislike when it comes to the fairweather, and/or bandwagon fan.

I have family members that came out of the woodwork after 2002, but were nowhere to be seen during the dark (the late 80's...about all of the 90's) days.

I would never presume to call myself an uber-futbol fan. But I look at the World Cup much like the Olympics...I'm showing my support for the home team.

It's all good BNF4, no worries.

bucknutfern4's picture

Ugly little episode hopefully put behind us all thanks guys and you hovenaut 

OH!

+7 HS
Hovenaut's picture

IO!

+2 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

I'd rather watch field hockey than soccer.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

cajunbuckeye's picture

2 billion fans can't be wrong.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Admit it, you like the skirts.

Oldschoolbuck's picture

I can understand why a fan of "Los Tris" would be upset after the way they went out to the Netherlands today. Guy was probably just blowing off steam - I'd probably have to buy a new TV if the USMNT lost like that... talk about heartbreak and disappointment!

Still, it seem a bit strange to call out people who are getting into the whole zeitgeist of TMNT's march onward in the WC. Perhaps some of those "fair weather" fans will stick around afterward and check out the C'bus Crew or other MLS teams near where they live.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I completely understand how people have their own opinion but to be haters of a professional sport that happens to be the most watched/played sport in the world is beyond me. I played soccer before - during and after college. Just stopped playing year round 3 years ago. If you don't like something - keep your opinions to yourself or make your point without the hatred and the outrageously wrong statements. 

+2 HS