Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Worst Hoods in Ohio

cinserious's picture
May 24, 2014 at 3:31am
58 Comments

Avondale in Cincinnati is one of the hoodiest of hoods, one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. I'm not just blowing smoke from the suburbs either. I grew up in an adjacent rough neighborhood and know Avondale pretty well.

I went to the public h.s. 'Woodward' that also drew from Avondale and all the surrounding ghettos and it was more like a juvenile detention than a school. 'students' rolling up blunts in the FRONT of the class, teachers scared to take action, assaults, robberies, even rapes at that school. And that was just the kids who actually showed up. I don't know if you remember Damon Flint the b-ball player, he went there. Antwaan Peek, who played for the Texans was in one of my classes. I dropped out within months of attending that hellhole.

Here's some pics of some crappy-ass apt complexes to be avoided in Avondale, venture at your own risk:

hood

hood

hood

hood
There are some worse areas in Cincy, but with the regentrification efforts of OTR and the West End projects, I feel Avondale will get worse and continue to be among the city's most dangerous/ hopeless neighborhoods. Anybody else got some Ohio 'hoods to share?

Buck Commander's picture

Worst hood I've seen was on a '69 Buick......It was all rusty and dented!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+23 HS
BlockO's picture

Ummmmmmmm.........?????

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+2 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Ok.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+4 HS
Damonbuckeye's picture

I lived in the short North in the 80's it was like New jack city..

+5 HS
sharks's picture

There is a neighborhood in Cleveland called Kamm's Corners, and it is pretty OK. All the safety forces personnel who historically had to maintain a city residence still live there, and a couple neighborhood Catholic schools allow parents to avoid the CMSD.

The rest of the city is Beirut.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
daveyt11's picture

Agreed kamms corner is pretty nice...LOL. I'm a big fan of Gene's restaurant breakfast over there.

+1 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

I live in a non West Park part of Cleveland. I teach at a Diocesan High School, and my roommate teaches at a CMSD grade school. Other than agreeing that Kamms Corner is a nice place, I cannot disagree more vehemently with the content and tone of the rest of the post.

+3 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

The rest of the city is Beirut.

Actually, Beirut was named a top travel destination a couple years ago and is still a pretty decent place.

http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/102483

Unless you meant Beirut in the 80s.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+2 HS
Clevelander's picture

I disagree. There are many great neighborhoods in Cleveland.

+2 HS
WezBuck28's picture

I'm not a big city goer at all, I love my 335 acres of quietness..but as far as the most "gangster" area I've been in was on Livingston ave after midnight..I was told by one officer to not even stop completely at the red lights or stop signs..my daughter was in children's hospital at the time..

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

No doubt about the Children's Hospital area being rough.  It is the most dangerous in Columbus.

RBuck's picture

Livingston and Lilley is the deadliest in Columbus. 5 shot and killed at that intersection in the past year.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

BassDropper's picture

agree with you on Livingston, which is what makes this youtube prank that much funnier.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Dress up like a zombie and all of a sudden people aren't as tough. This one is funny as hell.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
cinserious's picture

That Roman Atwood shit is funny as hell (if its real, you never know these days) reminds me of some Ali-G/ Inappropriate Comedy type stuff.

Brings me back to the days when I worked at a drive through on E. Livingston in the late 90's, crackheads and prostitutes used to get high in our bathroom. One time this dude accidentally dropped his bag of crack on my side of the counter and begged me to get it for him. Being already street smart, I made him back off before I picked it up off the floor for fear of possibly getting stabbed in the back of the head with a screwdriver. I know it sounds like an irrational fear but I actually encountered a situation like that while bending over to scoop ice cream at a Cincinnati UDF.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I enjoyed watching this guy get smacked around. The vehicle owners could have done a better job though.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Buckeye Knight's picture

Worst places I've been are not in Ohio. South Chicago, Newark,NJ, and Detroit take the cake.

+7 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Familiar with the same.

Throwing in Baltimore (no Ellwood Park after dark), Camden, NJ and Hampton Roads/Norfolk, VA. 

Hate Week runneth over

+1 HS
Ohio1St81's picture

I second Baltimore and Norfolk. Richmond and Milwaukee have some scary parts too. 

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Keep forgetting about Richmond - you're right.

Despite never visiting there, I wouldn't have thought of Milwaukee.

Hate Week runneth over

ITWASME's picture

I used to live really close to Camden and that place is a complete shithole

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

Same. No one in PA crosses the Delaware River to go to Camden. 

I season my simple food with hunger

BROSEPH's picture

West side of Baltimore.  Saw this dude walking around in a trenchcoat with a sawed-off shotgun whistling "Farmer in the dell".  Stuff was crazy yo.  

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

It's Charm City, but not everywhere there.

Hate Week runneth over

MotownBuck's picture

sheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiittt!!!!!!!!!!

Trotwood-Madison. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.

+2 HS
cinserious's picture
omar

If you run into this guy on the mean streetz of Baltimore, this is likely how you will see him.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+5 HS
edr4225's picture

lets go bucks!!

+3 HS

Told you not to waste your money on those red tops,Marlos Spider bags was what was up.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Chicago's Southwest Side to be more specific. Englewood, Back of the Yards, etc. Every. Single. Weekend.

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

Yea, I lived in Forest Park for a while but knew people who lived in Avondale & OTR when I was in Cincy for school. It was always going down over there.

The east side of Columbus along Livingston within that subsection just south of the Children's Hospital to Brice, James, & Hamilton is a mofo.

I just recently started working on the west side of Columbus and I wasn't really familiar with it, but I'm learning about the vast mix of people down here and certain areas like The Bottoms where apparently all this gang territory stuff is going on. I knew about the robberies and shootings, but it's kinda weird to be just outside of it especially given I live in Dublin.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

I work on the Westside of Columbus and live in Hilliard, the difference is like night and day. I lived on the Westside for about ten years but got fed up with all the dopefiends, gangs, and home invasions. Shootings and robberies were typical. And that was on the FAR Westside! I had to get my daughter out of that environment and it put me much more at ease.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Upper Arlington

(got sprayed during a drive-by once, kids with super soakers)

+10 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Grew up on Dayton. You learn to have the ability to just know when you're in a bad spot. Some places just look bad...some places are straight out of a war zone. It's a gift. Thanks Dayton.

WIth that said I know better than to walk around the Central Parkway and Central Ave area of Cincinnati while counting money and asking for directions. 

... and knowing is half the battle

Trotwood-Madison. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.

+3 HS
cinserious's picture

Cincinnati is so 'hood, even some of the SUBURBS are straight ghetto. Take Lincoln Hts for example, I always called it little Compton all the elementary and middle schools there are on lockdown for the last 3 weeks of school this year because of all the shootings and violence going on in the area.

valley homes
projex
Police cruiser shot at

+3 HS
mobboss1984's picture

I'm from Lincoln heights. In those exact apartments before they tore them down. It's no hood. Just a bunch of posers. Chi town is a hood

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

sivaDavis's picture

North Toledo

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

b_pbucksfans's picture

Canton is rough for a small town. Lock your doors...

+1 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

Surprised no one has said Urbancrest.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

live here in Urbancrest...not that bad, but I've been told by the cops that I live on the right side of the tracks.

DIRECTIONER

seafus26's picture

And they wanna take our guns away. Best defense is every one (like in Texas) is carrying concealed. If you have doubts   KNOW the other is carrying you won't be so quick to pull. And ya need a law enforcement to back you in your legal defense, when you're just fighting aggression with aggression. Not like some of the other states where it might as well be an offense for discharging weapon to defend yourself.

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Lived in Chicago and was visiting a friend in Philly. You would think I would pick a part of one of those?  Nope. Being young and trying to save a few bucks, I decided to save money by taking a grey hound bus. Until you try it, you will never know the horrors. It was like taking a city bus on a LONG trip. Took over 24 hours!

My point is the WORST city I've ever seen, and it was only during a couple hour layover at what they claimed was a bus stop, was without a doubt Gary, Indiana.   Drove through a couple years later and it was confirmed. Total shit hole!

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Yup, I have a friend from around Gary and he's said that it's terrifying.

Also, former commit Lonnie Johnson is from Gary and I remember reading that he lost three friends to gang violence during his senior year. Rough place to grow up.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Winton Terrace-Cincy

Green Briar early 90's-Columbus

Front street projects late 80's-Hamilton

Moosewood/Bowling green area Current-Cincy

Just a few places I was unlucky enough to reside and can vouch as pretty rough.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

@groveport, good call on Winton terrace.
Where is this moosewood/ bowling green you speak of in cincy?

+2 HS

Its right off of Beekman st . police have cameras put on the corners of the the apartments that are monitored 24/7 but does little to stop broad daylight violence and murders.If you like the sounds of ak-47's and choppers then this is the place. During the warmer months it gets extremely bad but I guess that could be said for anywhere.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Also English woods and Fay apts neighborhoods are rough too and Glencoe.

Here's a pic of the Glencoe section of Cincy, reminds me of the HampsterDamn section in West Baltimore that the police in 'The Wire' used to let addicts and dealers do their thing with complete amnesty.

Hampsterdamned

English Woods projects:

jex

+1 HS

Yea the Fay is a pretty wild place.Its been recently remodeled and renamed in a attempt to "clean"   up its image but it didn't work. There is a road in the back of the Fay that will lead you out to Beekman st. pretty close to Moosewood.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Haha, when I was a teen, me and some friends used to get wasted at a building the Fay. Its funny how you feel invincible at that age.

+1 HS
Cavluv23's picture

Well I'm from Dayton but now I'm stationed in Biloxi MS and I can tell you for a fact being a black guy married to a woman from India who every time we go to walmart she's asked if she is a Arab ...or Muslim... Is a double whammy down here and I know this for fact because I've been told so by the locals and have been advised that Traveling outside of the Biloxi city lines is absolute suicide lol ...I ask god everyday why am I stationed here ...I love Ohio I realize this now more then ever before so I won't complain about it or it's neighborhoods 

World travel is my passion spreading the word and grace of Ohio in every corner of the world . 

+3 HS
cinserious's picture

Amen brother!

+2 HS
dmurder's picture

I used to do some work for the government in Gary/East Chicago area. Pretty rough area's.

Certain parts of the east side of columbus are bad.

I now live in the bay area in florida. Trust me there are some area on the south side of Saint Petersburg that you don't wanna just walk around at night.

"We have always had the best damn band in the land, now we have the best damn team in the land"- Jim Tressel 1-03-03

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

My aunt got raped in ebor city.

The Rill Dill's picture

I was just getting ready to mention Ybor City/Temple Terrace.

+1 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

Chateau Ridge, Marion

cinserious's picture

On a national scale, its quite possible the most terrifying hood might be under the bridge in Miami where a guy got half his face eaten off by a flesh-eating homeless zombie high on bath salts!

Topic over.

+1 HS