Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

LaRosa's Finally in Columbus!

cinserious's picture
April 25, 2014 at 2:04am
30 Comments
pizza!

I'm so excited to finally have a LaRosa's pizza in the Columbus area! I moved here from Cincinnati over 15 years ago and I thought it would never happen. Like many Cincinnatians, LaRosa's was one and only premier pizza chain to dine in or pick up. I used to be a delivery boy at the St. Bernard location and I tell you what, I never got tired of that food! Columbus already had Skyline, Greater's, and even Montgomery Inn. Its been a long time coming. Look for the grand opening late Summer '14 in Dublin (where the BW3's is).

I know a lot of people on this site like to bash the city of Cincinnati for whatever reasons/ cultural differences, but I really think your going to love this restaurant. I personally guarantee the quality ingredients and superior taste. Enjoy!

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

LaRosas has really started taking a dive down here in the Cincy area. Ingredients have been going to hell,their tuna is like 50% crushed carrots now.Illegals and other under qualified basically running some of their locations. Ive been enjoying their food for 25+ years but me and my wife have decided recently that they are no longer worth the extra money. Im sure our problems haven't reached every location but the last 2places were pretty bad and terrible customer service to go along with a huge downgrade in ingredients. I hope the newer locations do not suffer from these problems.Their salads,pizza,and other food use to be legendary for delivery.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

William's picture

Those damn illegals, ruining muh pizza. 

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Whenever I'm back in Cincy, I pick up from the Hyde Park location on Madison Rd. or I take my family to dine in there. Its every bit as good as it always was. I've picked up from St. Bernard lately, ALL GOOD. Whenever I visit my brother in Trotwood-Hoke Rd, its ALWAYS GOOD. Any restaurant chain can deliver poor service or poorly made food. Just have to know where to go!

Gone ham, be back soon...

hit_the_couch's picture

If illegals are running it, they probably do a better job than they pill/ crack heads that worked/ attempted to run the Papa John's I used to work at some years ago.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+2 HS
Jdadams01's picture

Larosa's is the most overrated pizza in the world. A lot of people in Cincy have loyalty built up from 20 years of dining there, but their quality took a dive years ago. The only time I eat Larosa's is when it's free.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I lived in Cincy from junior high through high school, and I agree that it's incredibly overrated. I mean, I'd love going there with friends after swim meets, and they actually have really good salads. My family used to order a few pizzas, plus wings and salad, and it was great for that.

But both of my parents grew up in New Jersey, and we lived in Chicago for a bit when I was a kid, so I'll always be a pizza snob. LaRosa's is nothing to write home about.

As far as I'm concerned, the best pizza is actually from New Haven, Connecticut, but the NY/NJ pizza and Chicago deep dish (which is more of a casserole to me) are infinitely better than LaRosa's.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Bugsyk's picture

It's good if you grew up in Cinci and pine for a taste of home.  It's good for Columbus to add to the diverse food culture that exists here.  Is it good pizza?  To each his own...gimme Adriatico's any day over anything thin crust.  Skyline?  more polarizing than Hillary Clinton - love it or hate, no in between.  Regional tastes don't typically do well outside of their base region due to the je ne sais quoi ambiance to that region. 

Have you heard about Nada coming north?  Bakersfield is here, in the short north.

toad1204's picture

Pepperoni Rondos are a thing of beauty on a "long" Sunday morning if youre picking up what I'm putting down.

Bakersfield is a chain in the sense there are at least three of them (Indy, Cincy, Cbus.)  Nada hits for happy hour, otherwise I'm not sure its worth the extra $, especially with Bakersfield down the road.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Bugsyk's picture

Pizza is like sex: even when it's bad, it's pretty good - though there are sometimes regrets later in the day.

Gauchos on Godown is also very tasty if you're a fan of "further" southern cuisine.

+4 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I'm from Cleveland but when I was in Miami for the Orange Bowl I saw a Skyline and immediately (and somewhat dangerously) cut into the parking lot. Found out there are 3 Skylines in South Florida, so regional tastes can do well far from home. I asked the owner if he wanted to give me some seed money to open a Skyline in Northern VA, where I live now... he actually almost did it.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

TheBadOwl's picture

It is with the deepest regret that I am here to inform you that Michigan is adding an In-N-Out to their dining hall. My blood is boiling with rage and jealousy just thinking about it.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

It was probably part of Hokes contract.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
edr4225's picture

first location is gonna be in Avery Square Dublin replacing CiCi's pizza by BWs, im gonna have to try this place out !!

lets go bucks!!

+1 HS
alust2013's picture

It's decent, but I've never understood the hype. I'd rather have pizza from Flyer's, Tommy's, Hounddog's or Harvest Pizzeria, all of which, I believe, are native to the Columbus area.

I don't have any problem with Cincy. In fact there is a lot of cool stuff there; I especially like the zoo and aquarium. Plus Tom+Chee started there, and that's pretty fantastic.

...and Michigan still sucks.

+4 HS
MacG91's picture

All they need is an Izzys and for Jeff Ruby to build a place and Columbus is set! 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Columbus already has its own Jeff Ruby. Cameron Mitchell.

Gone ham, be back soon...

MackRM408's picture

As a born and raised Cincinnatian, LaRosa's is way overrated 

+4 HS
jedkat's picture

While I was not born there, I did live there for quite some time and I must apologize to Columbus for what is about to happen. Their tomato sauce is the worst.

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+2 HS
Urbanmania's picture

Lived in Cincy my whole life and if I'm looking to get a pizza, LaRosa's is probably the last place I would go to. Most people that go there do so because of Cincy tradition.

CincyBuckeye04's picture

I definitely do think it's funny to see people's reaction to LaRosa's that are born and raised in Cincy. I was born and raised here and still live here and still get a hankering for it every once in a while. It's probably more nostalgic than anything but their pizza is very unique tasting(the sauce mainly). By no means is it garbage or anything. It's a little pricey but they have a deal for 11.99 for a two topping large that is reasonable. Also get Slices for Strikes (free small 4 topping pizza) at the Reds games when the Reds strike out 11 batters so that's pretty bad ass. To each their own, but I'll continue to eat it. Pro tip: put some salt on it. Sounds weird but for whatever reason, it makes it so much better. I don't do that to any other pizza I have ever had.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Think I was more excited when Graeters became available in Ralph's in California....

+2 HS
logamaniac's picture

what? no graeters buckeye?  are you a commie?

-1 HS
KBonay's picture

LOL....wasn't an option on the variety pack shipment (used to get on my birthday each year, packed in dry ice).  And the Ralph's out here does not carry that.  But I would if I could!

TheBadOwl's picture

As someone who grew up in Cincy, I definitely love Graeter's, but as a Columbusite(?), this stuff can't be beat.

I've had Jeni's like three times in the last week. It's the best ice cream in the world and there is nothing that could ever convince me otherwise.

+2 HS
BuckToAsT's picture

I agree, though I don't think the Jeni's/Graeter's comparison works.

Jeni's is its own category of ice cream.  If I'm craving a giant scoop of chocolate (or any other traditional flavor) ice cream though, Graeter's is hard to beat.

+1 HS
alust2013's picture

I like some of the flavors, and it's quality stuff, but it's not worth what they charge for it. Either that, or I apparently don't like ice cream enough.

...and Michigan still sucks.

logamaniac's picture

graeters is a higher quality ice cream, where as jenis has the higher quality (exotic) flavor.

but yeah to pay 10 bucks for a pint of jenis is just silly in comparison to alternatives i mean i have no idea what kind of overhead they have

-1 HS
BuckToAsT's picture

LaRosa's is alright, but the pizza shop that truly represents that nasty nati is Dewey's! Much better quality.

+1 HS