Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

A question about the evolution of television

OSU_ALUM_05's picture
April 4, 2014 at 7:44am
7 Comments

I LOVE Amazon .... really ... I do.  I do the Prime subscriptions and everything.  If I can buy it on Amazon I buy it on Amazon.  My wife uses the Kindle Fire HDX all the time (I don't only because I need something that can get more "work" done too).  In any event, I saw yesterday that Amazon is releasing their new TV product that allows for internet streaming of various show libraries, etc.

My question:  is this something worth buying?  Does it do enough to supplant my ridiculously expensive Time Warner Cable package?  Right now I stream Amazon Prime shows from a Blue Ray player in addition to using cable, but I wondered if I could just scrap cable altogether and go with Amazon or if this new product isn't much different than a BlueRay player with WiFi?

Thoughts anyone?  Thanks in advance.

Bugsyk's picture

As with all things, it depends mostly on what content you watch.  If you want live sports, you're sorta stuck with cable.  There are avenues to stream live sports, but none in a High Quality resolution.  If live sports aren't a deal breaker, then check out the infographic here.  The chart on that page may help you decide which media device to go with.  Having tried just about all of them, the best imho is the Roku 3.  It has a wifi remote with a headphone port - awesome if you're watching content while rocking a kid to sleep.  It also is controllable by App; and can throw up your pictures, etc from phone, tablet, etc.  It has it's own channels, including Amazon, hudu plus, etc.  Additionally, it has a plex channel thru which you can access even more things, including your personal videos, music, ripped DVDs.  It also has a USB port, so you can attach a hard drive and play personal content without streaming.  The device quickly wakes up from sleeping, so you never have to power down.  It even has a time warner channel, so if you're a subscriber you can use it to replace a cable box.

Is it different than your bluray?  Yes in that it's smarter, much quicker, and can do much more.  Controlling the Roku 3 with the app (or the AmTV for that matter) is much nicer as you can type what you're searching for vs the one at a time scroll and click. 

Between a netflix, hulu plus, and amazon prime subscriptions, you'll have access to nearly any movie or tv show for roughly 24 bucks a month in subscription fees.  The only sticking point for ditching cable is live sports.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Thanks for the reply.  The live sports thing has really been holding me back in years past.  However, what I'm finding now is that I don't have time to watch live sports all that often anymore with one big, overwhelming, exception:  Buckeye football.  I also watch other sports, but not nearly as much as I did a few years ago - just too busy with life. 

So ....my follow up question is this......can you get network TV through a HD digital antenna thing that would get me CBS, ABC, etc. for free so I could still get some of the Buckeye games and then just plan to watch the ESPN/BTN games off site?

Bugsyk's picture

Yes, the major broadcast channels: CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX and a few others are available with an HD antenna if your TV has a digital tuner - which most all do. 

vitaminB's picture

You can stream for free, pretty much every single live sporting event.  So that's not a big deal either.

Cable companies realize their time is short and are looking for other ways to make money.

NCBuckeye1's picture

I have actually been doing this for the past two or three years. My wife and I got rid of our digital cable, and have Time Warner broadcast cable (Four networks and a few local channels; but I have an HD antenna that can pick up TBS, FoodTV, and a handful of other cable channels), Wi-Fi and an AppleTV. I think we pay $70.00/month for it (I have RR Turbo). We also have a monthly subscription to Hulu AND Netflix. Hulu allows us to watch shows we may otherwise miss during the season, Netflix allows us to play catch up. I have sources for a few other streaming options on the AppleTV, HBO and ESPN, so I can watch most live sports and the HBO content (GoT starts Sunday, so excited). I also can stream BTN2GO and NBCSports from my phone to my TV over my network.

All told I pay about $85/month for everything, and there is not much that I cannot watch. We usually watch the CBS shows live since they are not available on Hulu, and catch up on all the rest when we have time. Works great.

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be civilization." -- Woody

hit_the_couch's picture

If it's an Apple TV or Roku type device you speak of, then everything i've read up to this point says Roku is the best.

It might be worth checking out. I use Prime/ Amazon for most things as well. Got rid of cable, as I don't have a choice in companies since Time Warner keeps buying up the little guy.

I would probably have an HDX (the screen is awesome on that thing) as well if the productivity and app store were better. Ultimately went with ipad (I don't use much of the Apple ecosystem though) due to school, better productivity and a definite need to stay organized due to my ADD.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

NCBuckeye1's picture

When comparing the two devices, for me it was an easy choice. The Roku has better available apps, thanks to the availability of Amazon Prime, but with my wife demanding we buy an iMac for our desktop when all I really wanted was a good PC, it made the most sense to go with AppleTV for the user-friendly interfacing between our phones, the iMac, the iPad and the AppleTV all on the same network.

Whatever you do, do not waste the money on Chromecast. I got one as a Christmas present and am currently using it in my bedroom for my smaller TV, but you have to either stream everything from your computer using Google Chrome, or from your phone which ends your ability to do other things with your phone. I would not recommend that to anyone.

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be civilization." -- Woody

+1 HS