Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Crossfit Affiliate's lawsuit against Dr. Steven Devor of tOSU and the NSCA.

smithwessonBuckeye's picture
March 28, 2014 at 4:22pm
14 Comments

Here is an article from December of 2013 that partially describes a study conducted by Dr. Devor of tOSU, an Exercise Physiology professor. 

Here is the lawsuit filed on 3/26/14 in Franklin County Common Please court against Dr. Devor and the NSCA in regards to this study.

I do not have permission to attach the study in this forum, but if anyone has access through their schools library or through the NSCA's Journal, it should be easy to find.

This cross-fit forum has typical responses from people who believe in the program. I am assuming that most of these people have not actually read the study.

The only personal statement I will add to this is that I am finishing my undergraduate degree in Exercise Science. This lawsuit is going to get interesting and also end badly. The Ohio State University will not allow a well respected professor to be sabotaged with a lawsuit of this nature. He neither said nor implied anything of any nature that would put Cross-Fit in to bad light.

Edit: The Journal is " The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research".

SWB

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Litigiousness is a serious red flag of a potentially shady company.

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

In todays world everybody sues everybody else. They likely have lawyers who work for them who thought this was what they should do. But then again lawyers always think this is what you do.

BuckeyeChief's picture

Whatever happened to "everybody love everybody"?

"Clutch has no boundaries"

+1 HS

Heaven wants you to buy a CrossFit franchise...I'LL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

WOW SL that was really out there................

Jackie Moon wasn't known for his subtlety. ;)

osu07asu10's picture

By no means at all is this CrossFit suing Ohio State.

This is a "local box" suing the university to try and make a name for themselves. Their resources are limited and will be smashed by defense.

CrossFit now has seven lawyers on staff and at any given time is engaging 12 to 20 outside legal firms to pursue trademark-infringement cases. CrossFit has a database of more than 5,000 possible infringements and is litigating a dozen lawsuits in the U.S. and several more internationally.

This right here says it all. CrossFit doesn't care about fitness, it cares about money. If CrossFit the company, the one man show run by Greg Glassman wanted to sue tOSU, they would have in 2012 when the study came out. They don't care as long as this one guy, continues to line his pockets. The local box filing litigation is worth no more than $3,000 a year to Greg Glassman, which means they don't give a shit about their plight.

This won't get interesting.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+4 HS

You are correct, that is why I used the term affiliate. 

The reason why I believe this will get interesting is the possible counter suit by tOSU which could possibly shut this gym down, depending upon how far they take it.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

It would get interesting if CrossFit, the company, actually cared about fitness which they don't. They care about making money. There are 6,000 some affiliates in the US if 1 goes under 5 more will spring up.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

And this is important why?

-2 HS

On an OSU website, talking about an OSU professor being sued by a local gym while we have had workout forums and plenty members of CF who visit this site. 

+2 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

How dare he post something related about Ohio State in the other stuff forums of 11w. Maybe there are a few of us who sat in his class and know the guy like myself.  I'm glad he post it. Move on if you don't like it. 

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

Ericgobucks's picture

Interesting. I was a member of NSCA and got my CSCS back in 2001/2002 time frame. I changed careers and haven't followed it closely, but I am curious about Crossfit. Now I want to know more about this. Exercise Physiology is very interesting and I miss working with athletes. 

The general rule is that if someone is making a lot of money off something exercise/fitness related, it's usually not backed up by scientific data. I am skeptical of Crossfit, and any other company, until I know they are using sound scientific principles in an ethical manner.