Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Best 80's Show You Watched ...... Be Honest

Seattle Linga's picture
February 23, 2014 at 3:43pm
123 Comments

I grew up in the 80's and loved the music, fashion and TV shows from that decade. Place in order your top five TV show list and be honest. If you were a closet Love Boat watcher - jot it down there is no wrong answer. The show had to be shown in the 80's at some point, Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Seinfeld

2. Cheers

3. Coach

4. Miami Vice

5. Happy Days

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Seinfeld has many memorable catch-phrases and moments, but Cheers was the better show.

+5 HS
CC's picture

I don't think of Seinfeld as an 80's show I would consider it a 90's show.  It started in May 1989 and ran until 1998.

My list:
Cheers

Magnum PI

Cosby

Dukes

Knight Rider

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I was young but remeber:
1) Alf
2) Knight Rider
3) Perfect Stangers
4) Cosby Show
5) Wonder Years

I was pretty young though, so my real 80s jams were:
1) GI Joe
2) HeMan
3) ThunderCats
4) ShirtTales
5) Wuzzles

+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Your list lacks Voltron, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. :/

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Dude, totally forgot Voltron and SilverHawks. Forgot about Voltron, I was way into those guys.
I skipped Ninja Turtles because I couldnt remeber if they were 80s or early 90s...but I was heavily invested in them as well.
Good calls on both.

+2 HS
UFest57's picture

Add in The Centurions and Thunder Cats and your list is looking better 

+1 HS
BammBammRiley's picture

On top of Voltron on and turtles, man transformers was really up there for me. Fresh prince don't forget. Otherwise great list. Didn't do shirt tales and wuzzles, but Smurfs for sure. Oh and who's the boss!
Melissa Milano oh my!!! And the blond on Charles in charge. Yeah there were two, but we know which one. And bay watch, because of the blonds and brunettes. (Sorry should of made my own list)

BammBamm is my dog, Riley is my 4 yr old daughter, and THE Ohio state Buckeyes complete the three most sacred loves I cherish

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nicole Eggert was in Charles in Charge and Baywatch - Daily Double Dose 

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

Very big fan of Eggert..she went through some weight issues, but seems to have bounced back nicely.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Great list here.  I loved ShirTales.  That started things off for me on Saturday morning.  I followed that one with the Smurfs.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Earle's picture

M*A*S*H ran until 1983. Hard to leave that off the list. I also loved Cheers.

Italics are for emphasis.

+4 HS
osu07asu10's picture

There can only be one...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+8 HS

I think she was the first crush I ever had.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Would you expect anything less from Winnie Cooper?

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+4 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Punky Brewster ended up hot, though second to Winnie.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

Go1Bucks's picture

For my birthday, I asked for Winnie Cooper... 

I got a tiny car.

:-P

Go Bucks!

+4 HS
bedheadjc's picture

Not the best but I loved it:

Tales of the Gold Monkey

Watched religiously:

MASH, Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazard, Magnum P.I.

+4 HS
Urbanabuck's picture

Yes, loved that show! Bora Gora was my bucket list destination as a preteen. 

+1 HS
Bailey458's picture

The original Transformers for sure, the animated version.  The TV show was great but the original Transformers the Movie (animated version is in my top five movies of all time.  Optimus Prime and Megatron fight to the death and both die, Megatron is reincarnated by a giant planet, Unicron, that eats other planets voiced by Orson Welles.  The end of the movie is a giant battle where Unicron is destroyed and Hot Rod, played by Judd Nelson, rips open the matrix and becomes Rodimus Prime.  Great soundtrack too.  Sorry got off topic but if you haven't seen that movie (which is pivotal to the animated series) you need to its way better than any Michael Bay movie.

+4 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I'm sure if I saw them now, most would be crap, but as a kid in the 80's:

1. Voltron

2. Transformers cartoon

3. Dukes of Hazzard

4. Knight Rider

5. Airwolf

6. Cosby Show

7. GI Joe

8. Cheers

9. Silverhawks

10. Thundercats

The usual 80's stuff.

+2 HS
  1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  2. Voltron
  3. COPS(animated series)
  4. Thundercats
  5. MacGyver
  6. Magnum P.I.
  7. Cosby show
  8. Coach
  9. Wonder Years
  10. Transformers

+2 HS
weimerad's picture

TV shows: The A-Team, Different Strokes, Magnum PI

Cartoons: Transformers, He-Man, Looney Tunes

+3 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Can't believe i had to scroll this far down in the thread to finally see the A-Team.  BA BARAKUS!!!

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Wonder Years

M*A*S*H*

Miami Vice

Cheers

A Team

Coach     I loved Craig T Nelson and Jerry Van Dyke

Murphy Brown

Night Court

30 Something

Quantum Leap

+3 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Hill Street Blues. 

Magnum PI

Fantasy Island

+3 HS
buckeye_heart's picture

Don't forget about these guys! 

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Spot on Buckeye Heart

+3 HS
allinosu's picture
  1. Hill street
  2. china beach
  3.  30 something
  4. alf
  5. magnum p.i.
  6. coach
  7. cheers
+3 HS
Kid Gloves's picture

I never watched China Beach - wasn't it about Vietnam? I don't think it was on TV very long was it?

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Yeah, it only lasted about 3 years. It was a pretty good show from what I remember; I was young then. There was another show called 'Tour of Duty' that was pretty damn good also.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

9Route's picture

1.) The A-Team

2.) Magnum, P.I.

honorable mention:

Airwolf, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, Sledgehammer, Hulk Hogan Rock 'n' Wrestling

I'm just happy to be here

+2 HS
JeffCoBuck's picture

Wow, Sledge Hammer.  Can't believe anyone else remembers that show.  My dad LOVED it.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Married with Children started in the late 1980's.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

Even though Seinfeld premiered in July of 89', it is considered a 90's program.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+4 HS
Crimson's picture
  1. Married with Children
  2. Golden Girls
  3. That 80's Show (you know it was better than That 70's Show!)
+2 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

brandonbauer87's picture

Some good ones on these lists. Get ahold of me when we discuss the 90's. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for posting your favorites - there are so many other good shows on my list that I had to leave off. Bosom Buddies, Family Ties, Charlies Angles (for obvious reasons) Growing Pains, Taxi and Moonlighting.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Wasn't created in the 80's but it was the only show I watched consistently.

+2 HS
Sportpaco's picture

When they actually played music videos.

+5 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Remote Control was great... the first coming of Jenny McCarthy.  I remember they also had a category called "Dead or Canadian".

+1 HS
KingKosar's picture
One of my absolute favorite shows growing up was You Can't Do That on Television.  From the ad lib skits to the crazy characters, it was hilarious.  One of the actors who really made the show was Les Lye.  He played over half-dozen adult characters and was a staple of the show (RIP):

+9 HS
BammBammRiley's picture

Wow...good one. Great one I should say. Think we all might of got green slimed if that got left out!!!

BammBamm is my dog, Riley is my 4 yr old daughter, and THE Ohio state Buckeyes complete the three most sacred loves I cherish

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Totally forgot about that one...

cinserious's picture

D'yyyeeeee heard that!

I remember UCDTOTV being only on cable so if the rigged-up free cable cube was workin' we got it. If not, it was whatever else.

Anybody remember Degrassi Junior High?

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+2 HS
JeffCoBuck's picture

1.  Miami Vice.  I am watching it again on Netflix, and while some episodes are admittedly trending to the side of cheesiness, more than a few hold up very well today.  Listening to Jan Hammer's music is a plus, and his choices of contemporary pop from the time, listening now as an adult, were inspired.  Another thing about this series - it was popular enough to air on Friday night.  A lot of networks today won't put their strongest series on that night, but Miami Vice was so popular that people stayed home to watch it.

2.  The Dukes of Hazzard

3.  Knight Rider

4.  The A-Team

5.  Family Ties (loved that they were from Columbus!)

5A: Growing Pains

Honorable Mention: Airwolf, The Facts of Life (Blair Warner, be still my heart)

+7 HS
ScarletNGrey01's picture

Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. -- Woody Hayes

+3 HS
jchristo's picture

1. Cheers

2. Married With Children

3. A-Team

4. Dukes of Hazard

5. Max Headroom

+2 HS
Buck Commander's picture

1. Dukes of Hazzard

2. The Incredible Hulk

3.  A-Team

4.  HEAD BANGERS BALL. on MTV

5. YO   MTV RAPS

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Moonlighting is my favorite.  Next is Cheers.  Yup, color me "female viewer".  MASH had become stale by then and did need to end the war; which was 70% shorter than the series with the actors serving more time in the army than most who enlisted.  

A close one to Cheers is Coach.  Cheers was cool because it kept evolving, characters changed.  I loved both shows.  Ah, memories!

+3 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

Actually M*A*S*H was 3 times longer than the war (war 3yrs., show 11yrs.) but had lost early characters Henry Blake (McClain Stevenson), Trapper John (Wayne Rogers), Frank Burns (Larry Linville) and Radar O'Reilly (Gary Burghoff). But like you said it got pretty bad by the 80's...although it is one of my favorite shows ever. Also Happy Days was pathetic by 1980, it started in '74 and by '80 Ron Howard (Richie Cunningham), Pat Morita (Arnold), and Donny Most (Ralph Malph) were gone. Although they made a couple of guest appearances later .

From seeing most of these list only one thing comes to my mind....DAMN I'm getting old :)

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

Actually M*A*S*H was 3 times longer than the war (war 3yrs., show 11yrs.) but had lost early characters Henry Blake (McClain Stevenson), Trapper John (Wayne Rogers), Frank Burns (Larry Linville) and Radar O'Reilly (Gary Burghoff). But like you said it got pretty bad by the 80's...although it is one of my favorite shows ever. Also Happy Days was pathetic by 1980, it started in '74 and by '80 Ron Howard (Richie Cunningham), Pat Morita (Arnold), and Donny Most (Ralph Malph) were gone. Although they made a couple of guest appearances later .

From seeing most of these list only one thing comes to my mind....DAMN I'm getting old :)

Go Bucks!

hetuck's picture

Surprised no one has mentioned Taxi. The scene of Reverend Jim taking the driving test is the funniest in TV history.

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+4 HS
thirtytrap's picture

What does a yellow light mean????

Urbanabuck's picture

Lot of good ones already listed...

BJ and the Bear and the Fall Guy  for the early 80s

The Equalizer for underrated. Spenser for Hire in same genre

Also liked Silver Spoons, the Cosby Show and Night Court in comedy.

That's Incredible was a good show that brought a lot of odd/interesting topics up. 

Thundarr the Barbarian

+3 HS
Urbanabuck's picture

And I forgot Remote Control from the MTV

+1 HS

Spenser for Hire

Forgot about this.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I was just about to say that it is a crime <pun intended> that no one had mentioned Night Court.

+1 HS

Bigbadbuck mentioned Night Court in his post.

Buckeyeneer's picture

Sigh . . . reading's hard <smh>

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I'll give credit for a great Post, if not the pun.

BammBammRiley's picture

Loved the fall guy, I'll add The Bionic Man ( 6 Million Dollar Man I believe), and King Fu

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't everyone want Lee Majors (6 million dollar man) and Lindsay Wagner (Bionic Women) to hook up on TV. Can you imagine what their kids could do?

+3 HS
Earle's picture

Crash into things, I would guess.

No one mentioned Roseanne? Surprising.

Buckeyeneer's picture

How could a show with Roseanne and regular appearances from Tom Arnold and Sara Bernhard not be everyone's favorite.

One thing I'll say for the show, they succeeded in making George Clooney look like a goof.

MordenoftheSith's picture

One thing I'll say for the show, they succeeded in making George Clooney look like a goof.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes 2 did it better!

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

BammBammRiley's picture

Anyone remember The greatest American Hero? Great theme song

+4 HS

Great choice. I thought it came out in the 70s.

+1 HS
BammBammRiley's picture

Speaking of 70's, I remember watching the incredible hulk on a black and white tv sitting in a high chair. It was a couple more years before we had a color set and got got to see that incredible green, but I guess that show made an incredible impression since you don't usually remember a ton from the age of 1 or 2

BammBammRiley's picture

Oh crap, how about Mork and Mindy? Please tell me that was mentioned already. I thought Perfect Strangers was pretty funny too. So many

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

How about Hart to Hart - College crush on Stephanie Powers

+1 HS

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I was a fan of all the really big hits:
Mr. Merlin
Automan
The Wizard
Voyagers
Misfits of Science
The Powers of Matthew Star
Otherworld
The Highwayman
Earth Star Voyager

+1 HS

I know it wasn't animated, but I feel like Calvin and Hobbes deserves a mention. Same with FoxTrot. 

And I forgot Garfield and Friends. lol

+5 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Moonlighting, ThunderCats, Remington Steele, Mash, Simon and Simon, Coach, Quantum Leap, Wonders Years, and Star Trek over and over again.

Go Bucks!

The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. XD

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Brideshead Revisited.

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

1. Cheers (Norm !)

2. Taxi (Latka!)

3. Night Court

4. Moonlighting

5. Late Night (used to invite Jack Hanna of ythe Columbus Zoo)

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

.......whatchya  gonna do?  Whatchya gonna do when they come for you?

+1 HS

Forgive me, everybody, but I'm still trying to figure out when Seinfeld was on in the 80s.  I know the show was being written in the 80s, but the first episode aired in 1990.  Unless you're counting the pilot of the pilot, The Seinfeld Chronicles; which I wouldn't count, but I guess I could see why others might.

buckny's picture

Dallas

Magnum

MASH

L.A. Law

Hill Street Blues

+2 HS
RBuck's picture

1. Buckeye Football

2. Buckeye Basketball

3. Magnun

4. Hill Street Blues

5. Cheers

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Just as an aside, I was scrolling through this page again and was surprised to see that I had somehow accidentally downvoted this comment.  Nice that we can correct those things now.  Great list.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Anyone mention Mr. Wizard?

+2 HS
HENRYJONESJR's picture

Newhart, Falcon Crest, Dynasty, SNL (a few years)

+1 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Am I taking crazy pills?  Is it true no one has said THE COSBY SHOW!    Is this real life!?

*edit,  Upon further examination I see Cosby was represented.  Crisis averted.   Carry on.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

JTACbuckeye's picture

MacGyver and Cheers! 

The strong will stand, the weak will fall by the wayside.  100% and then some!

+1 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Cosby

Wonder Years

Sesame St

TMNT

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

Buckrific's picture

1) Cheers

2) A-Team

3) ALF

4) Scarecrow and Mrs. King

5) Night Court

+1 HS
Doc's picture

1. Miami Vice

2. Dukes

3. Sheriff Lobo

4. BJ and the Bear

5. The Incredible Hulk

Maybe not my favorites, but some shows I enjoyed growing up.

"Say my name."

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I know I'm extremely late to this thread, but wanted to chime in.

The best 80's shows were 70's reruns...

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Earle's picture

Didn't Redd have a short-lived series in the 80's post S&S?

Hovenaut's picture

Sanford - just a shell of the original series, a couple dozen episodes that ran from '80-'81.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

Earle's picture

Yeah, I always thought it was Demond Wilson who carried that show.

/ducks, braces for massive sticker loss

Jason Gruber's picture
Night Court

Cheers

Alf

Alf was my favorite!!

And of course, GI Joe the Real American Hero!!

"You win with People" Woody Hayes

+1 HS

My fav shows, in no particular order:

Masters of the Universe

Transformers

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Married... with Children

Roseanne

+1 HS
UFest57's picture

Matlock and Murder She Wrote...i was young and my mother dominated the clicker 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice .............. comment of the day in my book

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

1989...just made it.  And you KNOW you watched it.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kbonay - you may be right but there is only one reason I watched that show!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's not Bob Golic

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

My friends & I met Mr Belding in Cabo.  Let's just say he was 'skiing' all weekend.....

+1 HS

Golic wasn't on Saved by the Bell. He was on the spin-off series when they were in college.

Actually no. I hated Saved By the Bell.

BammBammRiley's picture

Another one in 89 that just made the cut and I think it might be a biggy....wait for it..... wait......

BammBammRiley's picture

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Open image in new screen.  copy URL.  in the message box, look for the pic icon above (mountain & sun).  Click.  Paste URL. Hit ok.  And you got your image. 

+1 HS
BammBammRiley's picture

Thank you.

I ended up having to go into my browser settings (chrome on galaxy s4), and request desktop site.  That did the trick to get the buttons to show in the message box. Otherwise they were never there.

You made me realize they should be, just like on the desktop!

+1 HS
BammBammRiley's picture

+4 HS
buckskin's picture

Miami Vice, Knight Rider, Hardcastle and McCormick, The Fall Guy, Saved by the Bell, and Transformers.

buckskin's picture

Miami Vice, Knight Rider, Hardcastle and McCormick, The Fall Guy, Saved by the Bell, and Transformers.

+1 HS

I'd forgotten about Hardcastle & McCormick.

mr.green's picture

St Elsewhere was my favorite in the 80s

Tracy Ulman would be a strong second.

3. Married .... With Children

4. Wonder Years.

5. Hill Street

6. Roseanne

7. In Living Color

8. Cheers

9. LA law (really defined the 80s in so many ways)

10. Simpsons 

+1 HS
BammBammRiley's picture

Good one with In Living Color! The fly girls were a staple of my adolescents and puberty. 

Those booties.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Here is one I totally forgot about!!!!!!!!!!!!

+2 HS
Kid Gloves's picture

I liked Scooby Dooby Do

rbesr's picture

Surprised that Riptide, with the pink helicopter, hasn't been mentioned.

mmounts's picture

Very Surprised only one mention of Dallas, pretty much ruled the first half of the 80's. MASH was my favorite.