Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

USA vs. Canada Thread

m5987usus's picture
February 21, 2014 at 12:15pm
103 Comments

Starting a thread to talk USA vs. TCUN, (That Country Up North) lol.  USA All Day ER'day

m5987usus's picture

This game is a going to be a dog fight All Game.

O-H!

Earle's picture

I don't know if it was intentional, but I love that you misspelled their name.  I will admit that it's a bit hard to rage against our neighbors to the north.  They are just so doggone nice!

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

yes i misspelled their name on purpose lol, Canadia, lol do not worry, but i hope people on here start calling Canada, TCUN, lol I would've started a revolution!  Just kidding lol.  This game is awesome though and just wanted to start a thread where people can talk about this game!

O-H!

stittracer99's picture

TCUN just sounds dirty....I hope no one with dyslexia tries to spell it.

+4 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Haven't you heard that joke? Two dyslexics walk into a bra...

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Pretty exciting game so far.  Good scoring chances and good saves on both sides.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

They're not even a real country, so I'm not sure why they are allowed to compete in the Olympics...

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

These goaltenders are playing lights out.. So many opportunities not being finished. 

Mac..yeah

Hovenaut's picture

I don't dislike Canada, but TCUN sure has a nice ring to it today.

No score, end first.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

OSUStu's picture

Canada with lots of good scoring opportunities.  The US team wasn't showing me much toward the end of the period and were lucky to make it out of the 1st period without allowing a goal.  

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Quick is doing a great job in front of the net.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

InvertMyVeer's picture

About that...

Football is complicated...

OSUStu's picture

Nothing Quick could have done about that redirect. 

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

That wasn't Quick's goal. He was in right position. Just a great tip. 

Quick will be the reason we win this game in 3rd. 

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

That was inevitable, USA looks lost out there right now.

Hovenaut's picture

Damn.

OSUpawn's picture

It's a long story but my fiancee is from Canada so there is some bragging rights going on!!

I took her to the Nebraska night game (touchdown fest) in 2012 and she now loves the Buckeyes!!  Buckeye nation is global ! !

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Lots of juicy rebounds by Price. Just no one to stuff them in. 

toad1204's picture

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Not to mention, all they had to do was show up to get to gold metal game. They faced NO ONE. 

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

1-0, TCUN, end second.

KBonay's picture

Need to play balls-on-fire this period. Nothing to lose. 

KBonay's picture

Man... Canada firing right now. 

toad1204's picture

Get a goal, get the momentum. 

vitaminB's picture

Canada is way better than us.  Without Quick in there this could easily be 5 - 0.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Pace is incredible. Love the commercial free. 

KBonay's picture

F*ing weak call. Dive. 

vitaminB's picture

Great Kill right there.

m5987usus's picture

Usa has only shown up for the first 5 minutes of the game, other than that, the game has been ALL Canadia

O-H!

KBonay's picture

You must not watch a lot of Hockey. US has shown up. They are playing lights out. They are going against, arguably, the best the world has to offer. They are attacking. They are throwing their bodies in front of shots. The effort is there. Just not the result. 

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Yea Man I watch a decent amount of hockey I was just saying they were playing canada better the first five minutes of the game but your right canada is the better team

O-H!

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Hard to beat a sound team with exceptional defensemen.  And they control the puck so well, we barley had any possession time.  We were one-shot and done.  Couldn't sustain a forecheck at all.  They got the puck forward before we could get support in.  Hat's of to Canada, they played an outstanding game.  Very few errors.  And we got beat on a pretty incredible tipped shot. 

+2 HS
m5987usus's picture

Yea man I agree good talking hockey with you you hoser!! Lol

O-H!

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

And the last 5 minutes.  Too bad there was a lot of game in between.

vitaminB's picture

I need Patrick Kane with a one timer here.

KBonay's picture

Great effort. Beaten by a better team. No shame in that. 

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

A great effort.  Much like the Women's game yesterday a couple bounces another way and the result is for the good guys. 

vitaminB's picture

We can't even get a fucking shot on goal?  Canada's Defense was swarming.  They wanted it more.  I do not believe in miracles.

-2 HS
m5987usus's picture

Tbh we wanted it more, canada to me just kind of expects to show up and win, which they did today because of all the talent they have, we wanted it more but canada is just the better team

O-H!

vitaminB's picture

I get your point.  I was referring more to their defensive effort, down a man at the end of the game.  They were all over us.  Kane was getting screened, he couldn't even get a touch.

m5987usus's picture

Yea I know man they understood that the game was gonna be won 1-0 or 2-1 so they played defense when they were up 1-0 for the win

O-H!

Hovenaut's picture

Congratulations to Team Canada, hope the gold medal game Sunday is as good as this one sounded to be.

InvertMyVeer's picture

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that canadian bacon doesn't deserve to be called bacon. 

+4 HS
vitaminB's picture

And Molsen is brewed with Moose Piss.

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

The mounties dressed up all stupid too.

+2 HS
vitaminB's picture

I don't even care about Hokey, but this pisses me off.  I'm submitting a POTUS petition to have all of these Canuks' visas pulled.

*Edit* I don't even care to spell it correctly.

toad1204's picture

Worst part is we have to keep Bieber now... 

Guessing CalgaryBuck is passed out in a snow bank right now with the Canada flag and case of Molson.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

That was one hell of a game. It's disappointing that we lost but Quick played so damn well and just got ousted by someone who had a better day. Now let's get things back together and salvage a bronze medal here!

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Well guys our flag doesn't have a maple leaf on it so we are winning in that category

O-H!

+3 HS
CanadianBuckeye's picture

These comments are a hell of a lot of fun to read!

At bar celebrating, just wanted to say good game fellas!  Was a lot of fun to watch!  Good luck beating the Fins tomorrow! CHEEEEEEEEEEEERS!

Go Canada GO!

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Congrats on the win Canadia, got to be a gracious winner and loser, good luck in the gold medal game

O-H!

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

A begrudging congrats.  I will be rooting North America the rest of the tourney.

+2 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture

Someone explain to me why this isn't the Team USA goal song!

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

It was.  Sadly we never got to hear it.

Whoa Nellie's picture

Is there any chance Kenny Guiton could use his remaining year of eligibility to play for the USA hockey team in next years Olympics in Rio?

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
InTressITrust's picture

Well it could be worse. I could be Canadian

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

William's picture

Really awful game today. Outside of Kessel and Kane, none of the forwards created many offensive chances, Kesler and Pavelski had particluarly awful games. Pacioretty and Parise (How did het get the C?) squandered multiple opportunities in the crease. Orpik and Martin (left with an injury) were nonexistent as a D-pair and provided no offensive threat at all. Suter and McDonagh were very solid in their even-strength shutdown role, but having Suter out as the point man on the power playss made no sense, that is a position that Shattenkirk or Carlson should be running, not Suter. This game further proved that Brian Burke and David Poile are meatheads that were cocky enough to think they could recreate 1980 with some amount of grit and skill, when they pulled a 2006 and brought a ton of grit and not enough skill, by leaving behind Bobby Ryan, Kyle Okposo, Keith Yandle and Dustin Byfuglien while choosing players like Blake Wheeler, Derek Stepan, Brooks Orpik, and Paul Martin.

Canada dominated possession and limited the US's chances, and none of that had to do with 'heart' and 'grit' and it had everything to do with elite skill and hockey sense. Next time the US should think about taking all of their most skilled players and leaving behind the idiots like Brian Burke, that call out elite American players (Bobby Ryan incident) for no reason at all. 

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

We can at least agree that Burke is awful for the game. Can't stand the guy.  And you are correct about the players left off. Ryan was like a grudge carry over or what? 

buckeyedude's picture

Where the Hell was Chelios?! Oh wait.

Never mind.

Edincostarica's picture

Congrats to our friends up north. They played an exceptional game. Best of luck in the final game for the U.S. and the Canadians. I'm sure glad not to see Russia competing any longer. They'll be watching the game from the gulag, if they are lucky.

KBonay's picture

Anyone watching US - Finland

KBonay's picture

Buckeye Kessler just saved a goal. Giving up his body...again

Seattle Linga's picture

I'm in for a bit KBonay

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

At least it ain't a 4am game for us. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed that was early - where are you?

KBonay's picture

SoCal. Orange County 

Seattle Linga's picture

Nice - Perfect weather for some winter olympics

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

This is an odd call

Seattle Linga's picture

Missed a golden opportunity

KBonay's picture

Kane hasn't had a great showing. 

KBonay's picture

This is one of those games where 1st goal means everything. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Tuuka Rask is the real deal - not a big Bruins fan but he's a real gamer 

KBonay's picture

Yeah. Kid is good. Put Tim Thomas in retirement

Seattle Linga's picture

Maybe a little earlier than he wanted

KBonay's picture

VanRiemsdyk game is nice. Becoming a fan. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Even though we haven't scored yet I like the look of our PP so far

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Looks far better than yesterday. Except for Kane, who is still trying to win it by himself. 

KBonay's picture

Ouch.  Need this pp to start 2nd. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Just as we turn it back on - Finland scores

Seattle Linga's picture

Call the medic - team down

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Yep. Like I said. 1st goal crucial. 

KBonay's picture

Is it too late to go back to bed?!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kessler just missed an open side of net

Seattle Linga's picture

Off the post - had the goalie beat too

KBonay's picture

Took me 10 min to scroll to bottom....hope they fix this soon. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I just go to the Forum and click on the new posts - have you tried?

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

No, but I will. Thanks. 

KBonay's picture

Oh, if Kane would just pass....

KBonay's picture

Kesler taken out by linesman. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Gotta run to a meeting - catch up later

KBonay's picture

Need. A. Goal. Now. 

OSUStu's picture

Just brutal...