Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Why Are Offensive Tackles So Big? Who Will Adapt First?

+13 HS
Little Mikey's picture
January 27, 2024 at 12:59pm
32 Comments

Frequently the most dominant player in a game is an edge rusher aka speed rusher. Some of these guys weigh 250-260 and the strength of their tactics are speed and quickness. Yet opposing them as a blocker is the same size offensive tackle who every team has had for pretty much an entire generation. Remember Von Miller in the Super Bowl. Yeah he won the game.

So my question is if the defense has invented a speed rusher, when will the offense counter with a speed blocker? If the quickness is too much for the blocker, well wouldn’t it make sense to play a quicker blocker? And before I get a bunch of responses about run blocking, well remember that the quick defensive end is out there against the run too. If a quicker blocker can’t drive block as well, so what. Having your quarterback running for his life or getting knocked out of the game isn’t a path to victory.

One side of the ball changed and adapted. It’s just odd to me that the corresponding changes to counter haven’t happened. 

What do readers think? Thank you and go Buckeyes.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments