Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Offense / Defense Starters on Special Teams?

+2 HS
Buck87's picture
September 6, 2022 at 6:16pm
32 Comments

I know this has been addressed to some degree previously. Nevertheless, I cringe whenever I see starters like JSN returning kicks. When JSN was injured in the Notre Dame game, what would have been the effect had Emeka Egbuka, our first team receiver #2a, gotten injured returning kicks? All of a sudden the offense is now without 2/3rds of its #1 receivers! I get that special teams play can change the complexion of a game, but I think the risk/reward of playing multiple starters is too great. What happens if we lose a starting lineman or linebacker or receiver for multiple games -- or the entire season -- due to an injury on a special teams play? That's A LOT of lost plays at the expense of a single ST play or two. Furthermore, it's not like OSU is lacking for talented reserves. For example, a number posters have praised Cam Martinez's running ability in space. Do other top 5 / 10 teams (Alabama, Georgia, Clemson) routinely play starters on their special teams as much as OSU? More? I just think playing several offensive/defensive starters on special teams is a risky proposition. Yes, it may help win the current game, which is important, of course, but an injury could derail the season. At the very least, perhaps substitute starters if we have a more than 1 score lead. I'm curious what others think.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments