Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Guessing Next Week's Starting Lineup

+5 HS
MediBuck's picture
September 6, 2022 at 1:09pm
18 Comments

We learned a ton about our team yesterday and had some unexpected injuries at multiple positions as well. Any thoughts on what the starting lineup will be by kickoff on Saturday? My gut tells me the coaching staff will not rush JSN, Julian Fleming, Kam Babb, or even Luke Wypler back, given we've got a bit matchup with Wisconsin coming in a few weeks. My thoughts:

OFFENSE

• QB: Who else? Stroud didn't have the best game in the world this weekend, but seeing as how he was down his top two receivers, Notre Dame essentially schemed a game that kept both safeties back the entire contest, and Ryan Day kept getting inpatient and forcing throws when we should have kept running the ball, I think he did fine. He never turned over the ball, didn't panic, and had some insanely clutch plays on third down while rolling out of the pocket. He will need to work on building timing and chemistry with his second and third string WR group, but I think going against Arkansas State will be the perfect opportunity to do so.
  • RB: I still think Henderson starts, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Chop split carries evenly with him.
  • WR: I actually think JSN, Julian Fleming, and Kam Babb will be sitting this one out to get healthy. I predict we start Egbuka, Harrison Jr, and Xavier Johnson to start, though if we score often early, we may trot out a few of our redshirt and true freshmen to get them some practice, if even before the half.
  • TE: Stover
  • OL: I think the starting five from Saturday will start the game, but if the run game is road grading, I could see Luke Wypler getting pulled after a couple of series to let his knee recover and to get Enokk Vimahi in and let Matt Jones practice snapping.

DEFENSE

• DE: I know Larry Johnson likes to rotate his linemen, but the Notre Dame game showed just how steep the dropoff is between the first team and the rest. Tuimoloao and Sawyer have to start when the team starts in the base "Jack" package. In standard four-down formations on run downs, Harrison can step in opposite JT.
  • DT: Michael Hall Jr. was a man among boys on Saturday and there is no excuse (other than fatigue) for him to step out. Tyleik Williams was a little bit of a disappointment given the incredible hype heaped on him by the OSU fanbase, but things track given the coaching staff's comments about his development, so I think Taron Vincent still gets the starting nod opposite Hall.
  • LB: Tommy Eichenberg played like a man possessed and was at the ball on every snap of the game that was a run or swing pass. Chambers had some very athletic plays, so I still think he starts on Saturday. Cody Simon appeared to still get lost on a few plays, but will likely be the third LB on the field on heavy packages.
  • S: I was surprised to see Lathan Ransom step in at the Bandit, given he started the Spring backing up McCalister at cover safety (which is the position he played the past two years) and since Kourt Williams was getting so much love in the preseason (even being voted captain) as Proctor's backup. I also wonder if this move was based on the emergence of Cam Martinez and Kye Stokes solidifying the two-deep at the nickel and free safety positions freeing up Ransom to move down to the box. Either way, the three best safeties on the field last night were Ransom, Hickman, and McCalister, and they should be starting going forward unless we need a heavier formation against base 12 personnel teams like Iowa or Wisconsin.
  • CB: Burke and Brown did not look as impressive as they did last season, but neither did anything to warrant losing their jobs. I'm sure the change up from press man to cloud coverage is a big adjustment for both, and they will grow into their new alignments.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments