Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Nebraska

+11 HS
Large Father's picture
November 4, 2021 at 8:07pm
22 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans, Days, Johnsons and Days,

Is it just me or does the officiating in college football seem to be getting worse? (This week will be my Seinfeld-esque ramble; thank you for coming along.)

I don’t typically complain about the referees, but they seem to be part of the game recently as opposed to invisible in the background.

Is anyone able to truly define what targeting is? When you’re watching a game and a targeting call goes to the replay booth for review, do you ever feel as if you know what they are going to call? It feels like a total crapshoot to me. I’m not sure why the NCAA doesn’t revisit targeting and define levels of severity. Some of these calls and the degree of punishment are nonsensical. I agree with it in principle but not in execution.

The game against Penn State last weekend was ridiculous. Sean Clifford should’ve been sacked at least three more times...and when they weren’t calling holding on from Penn State for tackling a blitzing defender, those possessions ended in undeserved PSU points.

Conversely, there have been many instances this season when Ohio State should’ve easily been called for pass interference...and I’m just thankful that the refs decided not to call it. That is another penalty that has wide interpretation but sometimes Ohio State defenders are not even close in terms of trying to adhere to reasonable standards.

As an aside, but semi-related, some critics will say the worst call in college football history was the pass interference in the endzone favoring Ohio State in overtime during the 2002 national championship game against the Miami Hurricanes. However, if instant replay existed at that time, that game wouldn’t even have gone into overtime. Chris Gamble caught a ball inbounds with about a minute left to pick up the first down and Ohio State would have run out the clock and won 17-14 in regulation. Instead, Gamble was ruled out of bounds and the game continued. 

The good news, in the 2002 national championship and last week against Penn State, the Buckeyes played well enough to overcome any unfavorable situations created by the officiating. OSU needs to keep turning it on, play hard, execute and not leave things to chance.

Overall, the Big Ten conference passes the eye test this season.  These teams all look pretty good from top to bottom.  The game against Penn State last weekend was a tough, physical battle. Penn State was well prepared for the game, which leads me to believe they didn't prepare at all for Illinois.  This is another test this weekend at Nebraska.  I'm interested to see how the young, inexperienced Buckeye team adjusts and bounces back after a slugfest. I think Ohio State will come out swinging and show they are ready to continue fighting through the stretch run.

Touchdowns: Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ruckert, TreVeyon Henderson, TreVeyon

OSU 42 Nebraska 20

Go Bucks! Beat Nebraska! Haskell Garrett for Heisman!

Puffy Padre

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments