Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Maryland

+5 HS
Large Father's picture
October 8, 2021 at 5:19pm
10 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans, Days, Johnsons and Days,

I'm not sure we've ever seen a group of freshmen play this well so early.  There are seven freshmen making significant contributions already.  Typically, if a new Buckeye is going to flash, it is near the end of the season.  The year's OSU freshmen are setting the benchmark.  

Here are some that have flashed...and I tried to think of other freshmen in the past that have made an immediate, significant impact.

RB: TreVeyon Henderson. He already set the freshman single-game rushing record.  He could challenge Trey Sermon's mark this season, if he gets enough carries in a game.
Other freshman RB that have flashed: MoC (Ohio State does not win the Natty in 2002 without him), JK Dobbins (TreVeyon may be more electric than JK), Robert Smith

OL: Luke Wypler. It's very rare to see a freshman center anchoring the offensive line for OSU.  The only other player I can think of is Michael Brewster who came in as part of the Block O lineman class.
Other: everyone will take a back seat to Orlando Pace (even Korey Stringer who was also awesome)

QB: CJ Stroud. I liked what I saw from a healthy CJ last week.  We'll know a lot more over the next few games. The offense is designed to make the OSU QB a superstar.
Others: Art Schlicter (I would make posters of him in our basement as a little kid), Terrelle (always frustrating except the Rose Bowl game vs. Oregon), Braxton (love me some Braxton), JT Barrett (tough as they come, always picked up the first down)

DL: Tyleik Williams.  Where did this guy come from?!! I hope he can keep building up to more snaps.
DL: J.T. Tuimoloau. Mixed up our holidays...Christmas came on the Fourth of July this year.  Hard to believe he's only been part of the team a few months. 
Others: Bosa factory (wish they had 15 kids), Chase (great buffer post Bosa era), Cam Heyward (big part of getting OSU to the 2007 Championship Game vs. LSU...and one chaotic last CFB weekend)

DB: Denzel Burke.  WOW!!!
DB: Cameron Martinez. Where did this guy come from, pt. 2?!!!
Others: I can't think of many...you really don't want true freshman manning defensive back positions - especially corner.  I'm trying to recall if some of the greats flashed early such as Shawn Springs? But, I don't recall anything like Burke, especially.

I'm excited to see these guys continue developing. They always say by the end of the season, these guys are no longer freshmen after building experience.  If they can take care of their bodies, Ohio State could be in great shape as the season builds!

Touchdowns: Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ruckert, TreVeyon Henderson, TreVeyon, TreVeyon

OSU 49 Maryland 20

Go Bucks! Beat Maryland! Haskell Garrett for Heisman!

Dumpy Dad

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments