Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Akron

+6 HS
Large Father's picture
September 23, 2021 at 8:49pm
11 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans, Days, Johnsons and Days,

I don’t mean to be an alarmist but I think years ending in "1" might be cursed.

1981, Earle Bruce’s 2nd worst record of 9-3 :).  The Buckeyes were unable to go to the Rose Bowl because they did not play Iowa who had an identical record, but Iowa had not been to the Rose Bowl for a longer period of time than OSU.  

1991, John Cooper‘s 2nd worst record of the 90s at 8-4 despite having a QB playing QB as opposed to a safety.

2001, Jim Tressel's first season and his worst record at 7-5.  Ohio State travels to the Outback Bowl again to lose to the Gamecocks again.

2011, Jim Tressel was fired because his players sold their own trinkets (whereas today a player can leave high school early and have a $1 million endorsement deal) and Ohio State under Luke Fickell has its worst record of the decade at 6-7.

2021, I’m hoping this year‘s team can break this trend but so far they have gotten off to a rocky start for Ohio State standards. Ryan Day appears to be making changes after the Oregon game...hopefully this creates some momentum soon.  

Touchdowns: Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ruckert, Fleming, TreVeyon Henderson, TreVeyon, TreVeyon

OSU 56 Akron 20

Go Bucks! Beat Akron! Haskell Garrett for Heisman!

Puffy Padre

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments