Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Week's Question: If Ohio State Had to Give Up the "Buckeyes" Nickname, What Would Be the Best Replacement?

George Eisner's picture
July 26, 2021 at 9:34am
104 Comments

Hey 11W! Hope everyone had a nice and relaxing weekend.

In light of the Cleveland Guardians name change, I got to wondering about alternative team names across my favorite sports. So my question for you all this week is, if Ohio State had to give up the "Buckeyes" nickname for some reason, what do to believe would be the best replacement?

This is purely hypothetical, as I doubt anyone is ever going to file a petition for the state university of "The Buckeye State" to ditch "the Buckeyes." But I figured this would be a creative topic for the community, and I look forward to reading many of the proposals.

It's a difficult question. My own proposal isn't great, but I probably won't get as flamed for it as I did last week for picking Michigan to be the next team to beat Ohio State.

I would go with The Ohio State "Oxen," which is not only a reference to the agricultural tradition of the state of Ohio, but also William Oxley Thompson—the namesake of the campus Memorial Library and fifth president of the school.

What about you? What would be your alternative to "Buckeyes?"

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 104 Comments