Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Week's Question: Who is the Greatest Back-Up Running Back in Ohio State History?

George Eisner's picture
May 24, 2021 at 8:17am
133 Comments

Good morning, Eleven Warriors! The question for this week focuses on which Ohio State running back served as the best back-up in the history of the program?

There has been some spirited debate recently around the Buckeye running back room heading into this season, and personally I have been a bit shocked to see so many Ohio State fans want to shift away from Master Teague III as lead back. People easily forget that Teague made an All-Big Ten team as a redshirt freshman while surrendering most of the primary carries to J.K. Dobbins all season long.

But this got me wondering about other great back-ups Ohio State has had at running back in recent years. Curtis Samuel seemingly never started a game at Ohio State but still finished his college career with one of the most iconic moments in the OSU/U-M rivalry. Beanie Wells was a bruising big play threat behind Antonio Pittman long before he took the reins himself. I am sure you all have countless other examples in your heads, and we would love to hear them.

I am picking Teague, because I challenge anyone else to find another season where an underclassman running back made an All-Conference team after surrendering over 160 rushing attempts to the guy in front of him. My understanding is the only other player that comes close to reaching that standard is LenDale White, but he was already a junior when he made the All-PAC 10 team along with Reggie Bush in 2005.

Would you also pick Teague? Or who would your choice be?

A happy Monday to the Eleven Warriors community, and greetings from yours truly. My name is George Eisner, and I am a new member of the Eleven Warriors team. I previously had an account mostly for lurking here about seven years ago—my last post was about how Jacoby Boren wanted to rip me in half at Ohio State's Camp in 2010. Now one of us is a National Champion and the other posts online for a living.

It is a pleasure to be here with you all, and I hope we can share a glass of Wolverine tears together soon.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 133 Comments