Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Alabama -a Little History

+6 HS
Large Father's picture
January 9, 2021 at 7:43pm
3 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans, Days, Johnsons and Days,    

The first team ever to win the CFP Championship in 2014.  

The first team ever to go 14-0 and win the BCS Championship in 2002.

College football's only 2-time Heisman Trophy winner in 1975.

The only College Football Championship for the legendary Paul Brown in 1942.

...and if Ohio State can win against Alabama, the first team crowned college football champions with an 8-0 record since 1923 - the same year the first Yankee Stadium and the Hollywood sign were built.  Back then, Ohio Stadium was new...and if visitors wanted to see their team take the field, they took the train.  Players wore leather helmets, spectators wore wool blazers.

The timeline of College Football is lengthening and usually you have to squint to see way back. It's hard to reconcile that trains and leather helmets come from the same place as 600-horsepower tailgate RVs and Nike Vapor alternate jerseys.  But, this year pulls us back.

As an Ohio State football fan, I don't know if you have been like me this college football season.  Every week, I would just hold my breath until the foot actually hit the ball.  Many weeks were disappointing.  I felt a little lost not having an Ohio State football game to consume me most Saturdays this Fall.  It was hard to look forward with the weekly Buckeye tradition just vanishing way too often.  When the Ohio State-Michigan game was cancelled, it took away one of my favorite days of the year.  

But, I think that weekly disappointment made these last 22 days that much more enjoyable.  I felt more present when Trey Sermon willed his way through a 23-yard run to break Eddie George's single-game rushing record and give the Buckeyes a Big Ten Championship.  It was coming back.  Then Justin Fields hit Chris Olave for a 56-yard touchdown strike in the third quarter of the Sugar Bowl against Clemson and it was clear again.

Ohio State is on the cusp of another College Football legacy, in a year that seemed more like the uncertainty and fragility of the early Twentieth Century.    

Time to exhale. We made it. We are here. 

...and it's time for Ohio State to take this last game. 

Touchdowns:  Olave, Olave, Wilson, Fields, Sermon, Sermon 

OSU 48 Alabama 40

Go Bucks!  Beat Alabama!  Wyatt Davis for Heisman!

Large Father

Mod Edit - nice post by title needs fixed. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 3 Comments