Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Penn State - Got the moves like Gamble

0 HS
Large Father's picture
October 15, 2015 at 10:39pm
12 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

It's already halfway through the season, but things really begin now.  After five consecutive weeks of less intriguing match-ups, Ohio State finally has a primetime showdown with a big college football program, Penn State.

Get used to the prime match-ups; the next three are in primetime.  After that, MSU and Michigan loom in late November.  This is when it gets interesting...

Last season, Ohio State played up to the level of its competition; I hope the 2015 squad has that same big game (insert any word with attitude here except for "swagger").  

Here are a few quick thoughts:

1) Loved the QB rotation strategy against Maryland!  JT runs tempo and read-option very well; that offense works with a short field.  The coaches ran plays that allow Cardale to succeed; let him air it out and spread the field.  Cardale also did a great job of checking down and hitting the swing pass...something that is not typically his strong suit.

2) Hackenberg doesn't run...mercifully.  OSU is now fully aware that a mobile QB will give its defense fits.  To me, it looks as if one defensive lineman loses gap coverage...the LBs are in coverage and not spying on the QB...and that combination creates an issue.  

3) At some point, I'd like to see Bosa play inside more.  I think the best four d-linemen are Bosa, Adolphus, Tyquan Lewis and Sam Hubbard.  I'd love to see those four play a couple series together.  Hopefully, that can wait for Minnesota or MSU or Michigan...because I think Penn State's offensive line is still a bit of a weak link.

4) OSU offensive line could have its hands full against Penn State.  If the Slobs can get their assignments and create some push, I'll feel really good about the team's chances.  The o-line has been a little off this season - confused by defensive fronts and beat at the line of scrimmage - despite returning outstanding talent.  I'd like to see them takeover this second half.

5) I'd love to see the Penn State pick 6 tradition continue...I won't retell my story about how I fell into the row in front of me in Ohio Stadium when Chris Gamble scored the game's only touchdown against Penn State during the 2002 championship run. :)

Even though the games have been closer this year than we expected, at least they aren't boring.  There is still something fun and very real about this year's team and these players.  This is an interesting group that is worth rooting for, in my opinion. :) 

I can't wait to see Ohio State take the field this weekend under the lights in all-black uniforms with fans shrouded in black...it feels like the season starts this Saturday!   

Touchdowns:  Zeke, Zeke, Braxton, Jalin, Mike Thomas, Darron Lee

OSU 42 Penn State 21

Go Bucks!  Beat Penn State!  Josh Perry for Heisman! 

Stout Pops

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments