Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Four best teams vs. Four most deserving

0 HS
Cincinnati_BUCKEYE's picture
November 9, 2014 at 6:51pm
24 Comments

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, mostly due to the fact that I believe that Ohio State belongs to one and not the other in the eyes of a lot of people. I think we can be one of the four best teams come the end of the season but (even though in my eyes we are deserving) in the eyes of the committee I believe A LOT of things need to happen for us to even be in the discussion for the playoff. There are teams out there like LSU and Auburn and possibly even Miss. State by the end of the year who will most definitely be some of the top programs in the country but will not be most deserving having two losses or getting beat by a team who is arguably one of the best in the country. 

A good example of this is Auburn who up until this week was a lock for the playoff but lost a close game to Texas A&M whose looked pretty good sense Kyle Allen took over. If they end up beating Alabama they still won't get into the playoff but your gonna tell me their not one of the best teams in the country? Im not buying that… Juxtapose that with a team like Florida State who scrapes by teams like Louisville and NC State who will get a free pass into the playoff purely off of last years seasons results. Is not losing good enough? Or will the committee truly compare the game tapes and find the best 4 teams? 

I understand that there has to be some formula, some systematic way to measure teams against one another but if three of the four best teams in America resided in the B1G and 2 of them didn't get in simply because they were "cannibalized" by the other teams in the conference who are also in the playoff talk you bet your sweet ass I'd be pulling for all three (or at least two of them) to get into the playoff. 

Lets bring this back to the Buckeyes and take on everybody's argument that we can't get in because we lost to VT. Would this team be any different now if we squeaked by VT that night other then the fact that we would have a 0 in the loss column? I don't believe so and I also believe that were such a different team now then on that night that its almost unfair to hold that loss against us. However if we would have taken care of business we wouldn't be having this convo and I understand that you've got to use some type of system to compare teams. Lets not forget Indiana beat Mizzou who will probably be the SEC east representative in the championship game… So if Mizzou wins the conference championship the SEC champ will not be getting into the playoff, crazy huh? Especially considering, in this very possible scenario, another team from the conference could get rewarded for not making the conf. champ. game and get into the playoff. 

So in conclusion what are your thoughts? Should it be the best four teams in the country and risk sending two or three teams to the playoff from the same conference? Or should it be the four most deserving where teams with no conference championship get rewarded because they have had less chances to get a crooked number in the loss column? How do you think the committee will vote? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments