Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

O-Line Analysis

0 HS
Bubba 81's picture
November 5, 2014 at 12:33am
13 Comments

I just spent 2 hours of my life analyzing the Oline per the Penn St game because I am seriously worried about the MSU defense. Here are my observations: 

D. Baldwin is solid. Billy Price gets so lost when pulling it is ridiculous that his foot placement causes him to lose leverage and he is the weakness of the line. Taylor Decker is great at pass protection but it so concerned with getting to the second level to block linebackers on runs that he forgets to block the guy right in front of him. J. Boren did better than I thought, but doesn't finish blocks, but his initial engagement was solid. Pat Efflin had about 5 or 6 plays were his technique was so poor and off balance I thought he was going to fall down and he actually did. Jeff H. missed about 20% of his blocking assignments while I thought Nick V. did a better job blocking. Ezekiel had about 50% of his pass blocking angles off the mark which may be why he didn't start against Illinois.  

Overall our line seemed overly concerned about double teaming on blocks, particularly on the inside which consistently caused an open defender and sometimes two open defenders to make the tackle. This seemed like a directive in scheme. They were not really getting blown off the ball with the exception of Price on pulls. 

The good news is that I don't think our Oline got man handled from a strength standpoint but our failures were more of an lack of awareness and too many decisions to help on double teams. That can be corrected. If your just weaker physically, that is harder to coach.

The play calling compounded the problem as the game went on because the defense knew we were running on 85% of the plays called. 

Conclusion: coach em up Ed, the talent is there and Tom... please don't ever call that kind of game again. 

Go Bucks!!! 

PS: I am sure there are typos 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments