College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

It's May. Time for a #Hot Take: Saban Ain't the GOAT!

0 HS
Scioto's picture
May 14, 2021 at 10:48am
121 Comments

Over the last week, two things got be thinking up this #hot take.  Since it's May and the NFL draft, NFL schedule release, and the transfer portal have been talked to death with little else to discuss, I thought why not shout from the internet rooftop:  Nick Saban ain't the GOAT.  Here's why.

Huffdaddy's post about Alabama and player processing got me thinking.  Compared to Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, Clemson, and Ohio State, over the past five seasons, Saban should have on average had 2-6 more high 4 star/5 star talent on the field or depth than any of his best opposition.  That's a significant advantage.  But is that all?  And then I looked into Bill Belichick's record with Brady 257-90 and without 54-58, and that got me looking into Saban's Alabama record vs his record prior to Alabama. 

Before getting to the record and asking some further questions, here are the top 10 coaches by winning percentage.  I'm only listing D1 (FBS), so no Larry Kehres.  I'm also only listing those coaches from the modern era, which I define as 1970 and forward (although I would include coaches whose careers spanned pre and post 1970).  So, no Rockne, Yost, Leahy, Wilkinson, but I'd consider Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes (but not Bob Devaney who retired in 1972).  The top 10:  (1) Urban Meyer .853; (2) Barry Switzer .837; (3) Tom Osborne .836; (4) Dabo Swinney .809; (5) Bob Stoops .798; (6) Nick Saban .797 (does not include his Dolphins record); (7) Chris Petersen .795; (8) Paul "Bear" Bryant .780; (9) Bo Schembechler .775; (10) Jimbo Fisher .768.  

Before Alabama (and including his two years with the Dolphins), Nick Saban was a respectable 106-59-1 for a .638 winning percentage and one national championship.  Respectable, yes, but no where near top 10.  Remove the Dolphins years, and he's 91-42-1 before Alabama.  Again, a respectable .679, but no where near the top 10.  With Alabama, Nick Saban has gone 165-23 for a .877 winning percentage and six national championships.  How did he go from respectable, but no where near top 10, to greatest ever?  

Was it his two years with the Dolphins and learning even more about player and talent evaluation and criteria?  If so, why didn't his four years with the Browns as an assistant for Belichick result in him achieving immortality earlier with MSU and LSU?  Did he go from respectable, solid college coach to greatest ever because he coached the Dolphins for two years?  I don't think so.  Is it just by oversigning and then later by processing players?  Maybe.  But I think it's more and it's the incestuous relationship of the Bryant Bank/University of Alabama trustees/Crimson Tide Foundation.  As with everything, follow the money.      

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 121 Comments