In an era where spring games have diminishing returns, Urban Meyer’s opinion has never wavered: the glorified practices hold value. Teams across the country have scratched games for various reasons, including several in the Big Ten. But Meyer said there will be no alterations as long as he’s head coach.
Saturday is the latest edition of the Scarlet and Gray game. Ohio State said it’s already sold more than 26,000 tickets, and with sunshine and warm temperatures in the forecast, there’s reason to believe the national record crowd of 95,722 could be in jeopardy.
“I hope it’s 106,000,” Meyer said. “I want to see who can go out and make a play in front of the crowd.”
- Freshmen already in the rotation, according to Meyer: Curtis Samuel, Raekwon McMillan, Sean Nuernberger, Johnnie Dixon
- RB rotation: Ezekiel Elliott, Bri'onte Dunn, Curtis Samuel and Warren Ball. Meyer said Rod Smith is dealing with a heavy academic load. There’s no suspension.
- “Completely different player than he was. Very functional guy. He cares, he tries to lead. Really pleased with where he’s at. Very good.” -Meyer on Cardale Jones.
- Corey Smith and Mike Thomas are two receivers who’ve made the biggest leap this spring, Meyer said. Both will be part of the rotation.
- “He’s very athletic.” -Meyer on Corey Smith.
- Meyer said the place-kicking competition is close, saying Kyle Clinton probably has the lead.
- Stan Drayton and Kerry Coombs will be the head coaches Saturday. There will be no kickoffs.
- Marcus Baugh had some “issues,” according to Meyer. He said he’s still not out of the woods.
- Meyer called student appreciation day “awesome.” He said not many schools could pull off an event of that caliber.
- Eli Apple had another good day of practice, Meyer said. He said it was a negative that it took so long to get his black stripe off. All’s in the past now, though. Meyer described Apple’s spring as “huge.” It’s given the secondary added depth.