Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

BKAED

RickKaneWasHere's picture
July 8, 2014 at 7:14pm
51 Comments

Better Know An Eleven Dubber

Hey, name's Rick. Pleased to meet you. Been thinking...11w has a pretty cool "BTAB" (Better Know A Buckeye) segment on here. I thought I'd make my first forum topic about the readers..."BKAED".

Basically just trying to get to know the people behind the screen names. Here's your turn to come out of your shell, or even brag a little bit. :)

So, what are 5 interesting or cool facts about you?

I'll start:

1. I have a pretty sweet OSU autograph collection: Vic Janowicz, Les Horvath, Howard "Hopalong" Cassady, Archie Griffin, Eddie George, Chris Carter, Chris Spielman, Kirk Herbstreit, Woody Hayes, Earle Bruce, John Cooper, Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, among others.

2. I Eagled a par 5 when I was 12.

3. I drank an entire case of Rolling Rock one day in college, (from about the time College GameDay comes on to about 11:30).

4. I can do a really good Elvis impersonation.

5. I had 6% body fat when I was 19.

Deadly Nuts's picture

I love your profile pic.

LEBRON

+2 HS

Thanks bro

- The Rick

Can you put the past away?

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I saw the thread title and figured you were so baked that you had lost your ability to spell.

Italics are for emphasis.

+9 HS
rosycheeks's picture

The Rick has potential.

+5 HS

Haha, thanks man

ITWASME's picture

1.I'm 16
2. I am a huge video game nerd and all my accounts have the username FloppinsMcGovey in case you want to play some time
3. My sister, my brother in law, and I are writing a graphic novel
4. I play baseball and actually hit a walk off double two days ago
5. I play guitar

+6 HS
hobochops987's picture

What games primarily?

Trust in UFM

+2 HS
ITWASME's picture

Seriously anything except COD

hobochops987's picture

1.) When I was 2 my hair stuck straight up.

2.) I got a hole in one when I was nine. (With a driver.)

3.) I got accepted into high school last week.

4.) Met 2016 basketball prospect V.J. King.

5.) I like to cook, and eat, a lot.  Thank the food gods for metabolism.

good thread idea.

Trust in UFM

+3 HS

Hole in 1 @ age 9!?

Damn, now that's a feat!

+1 HS
BuckeyeSouth's picture

Putt Putt course?

Embrace it.

+4 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

1. Born and raised in Scioto County. Been in Florida for 7 years. My favorite pastimes are watching OSU games at Buffalo Wild Wings with the other Buckeye transplants and listening to all the Gator fans curse Urban Meyer's name.

2. I own a 1-foot x 1-foot piece of the old green Ohio Stadium astroturf that was torn up in 1990 to make way for grass. My only possession that is more prized in my eyes are my late mother's belongings.

3. My first job out of college was as a small-town newspaper sportswriter in Ohio and I attended the 1997 Ohio State-Arizona game at the Shoe. Before kickoff I rode the pressbox elevator up with Brett Musberger and Dan Fouts who were announcing the game and I accidentally bumped Fouts in the stomach and he gave me a really dirty look. I hit him pretty hard. It was an accident but now that I think about it I probably did it on purpose subconsciously because he's such a tool. I was also in the pressbox for the 1998 Sparty game. Most silent pressbox I have EVER been in.

4. My first trip to Vegas in 2011 I saw Dick Butkus at Caesars Palace. That was the only time in my life I've ever been star struck.

5. My favorite movie is The Big Lebowski. I love white Russians, love bowling, still listen to Creedence and once got into a fight with 3 Germans in a parking lot. I will die a happy man if I ever date anyone named Bunny.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+7 HS
Fatpants's picture

Upvote for hitting fouts

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

1. From Shaker Heights (OH) and live in McLean (VA)
2. My favorite movies are Bullit and The Blues Brothers
3. I work for a rival B1G school in their athletic department
4. Orlando Pace is my favorite football player of all-time; I wore #75 in high school and college because of him
5. My career goal is to be a college athletic director

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+5 HS
Urbanabuck's picture

68 Mustang in one of the best car chases in movie history. Steve McQueen was cooler than James Dean, loved his movies.

+1 HS
robobuck's picture

But Paul Newman was cooler than them both put together! :)

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I delivered the Cleveland Press to Paul Newman's parents when I was growing up.  

+3 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I'm conflicted over Newman and McQueen. I am more of a fan of McQueen's movies but I am from the same hometown as Newman. I know that they did not like each other, especially McQueen towards Newman; I heard the set of The Towering Inferno was quite tense at times. 

703Buckeye's picture

When I was a kid my dad used to take me around Cleveland in his '69 Mach I and pretend like we were reenacting Bullit. We probably never went anywhere near the speeds McQueen did but my 5 year old self didn't know the difference. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Did you play Football at Shaker Heights High School 703?

703Buckeye's picture

My dad, his brothers, and my mom's brothers all played for Shaker but I moved out of town when I was 12. I went to George C. Marshall HS in Northern VA, which you may know as the school the Titans beat in the championship of Remember the Titans. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Cool - I went to a private school but my brother played for an undefeated Shaker Team until they met St. Ed's in the playoffs. My other brother played for Shaker - he played Trumpet in the band - haha

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

1. Ran into (and hollered drunken jibberish at) John Cooper on Bourbon St while in New Orleans for the 98 Sugar Bowl. He was out walking alone after midnight, I shit you not. 

2. Had golf class with John Lumpkin, none of the clubs were long enough for him. 

3. Lived in the same dorm as Orlando Pace (Morrill tower) as a freshman. Dude had an uncharacteristically high voice. 

4. 37, married, one son, lifelong Ohio resident and Buckeye, professional job, fly fishing fool and backpacker in my spare time. 

+4 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

1. The older I get, the better high school football player I become. 2. I was going to my senior prom when my wife was born. 3. I miss being in Ohio for the fall months. 4. I'll get up in the middle of the night to eat the last cupcake, piece of cake, piece of pie, etc. 5. I'm a redneck, from a small town in Ohio, and proud of it.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+7 HS
Poison nuts's picture

We are identical it would appear - except I'm from Columbus & my neck is a golden bronze hue currently. 

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

1. I have performed open-heart surgery on an elephant. (I'm a large mammal vet)
2. My dad and I got to play a round of golf with Jack Nicklaus when I was 14. He made minor adjustments to my swing, and dramatically improved my game.
3. I have a basic understanding of Spanish, but my 5 year old daughter is fluent in 4 languages and sign language.
4. I have been inside of Eli Manning's place in New York. I have used his bathroom.
5. My dad was a guitar tech for Neil Young for 3 years. My favorite part of Christmas growing up was getting his Christmas card he would send us.

+8 HS
buckeyedude's picture

You don't want to know me.

Aww, what the Hell.

I was voted "Least Likely To Succeed" in high school and fulfilled all of my expectations. I went on and studied basket weaving at the School of Hard Knocks, finished with a 1.3 GPA, graduating sigma cum lousy.

Seriously, I've lived nearly my whole life in Toledo, and I only have Dane Sanzenbacher's autographed picture. BUT, I have a close friend that has a picture of his dad with Archie Griffin and Woody from back in the 70s. So there's that.

I'm going to be 50 in September and can out bench 90% of 11Wers and am waiting for my Buckeye Senior Card so I can have early access to the 11W Premium Lounge on game day and the open bar.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Buckeye born, left Ohio at a young age...but Ohio never left me.

Became a shellbacked, bluenosed supersnipe while serving in the Navy for a few years after highschool.

Depending on my mood, I'm a classic rock, old school hip-hop or grunge music fan.

You could probably guess what my favorite show is...you big dummy.

Proud husband and father. My wife (also a big sports fan) understands my love for the Buckeyes, my four year old son likes hanging in the man cave with daddy (I'll use "earmuffs" quite a bit).

I didn't find Eleven Warriors, Eleven Warriors found me. I don't get home very much these days, but 11W allows me the chance to be the best Buckeye fan I can be.

+5 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

1. From Cincinnati, OH and now live in Urbana, IL; and after doing a 5-month internship there in school, I will never allow myself to live in West Virginia.

2. Graduated from OSU in 2010 and am now getting my PhD in materials science and engineering at U of Illinois.

3.  My two favorite movies of all time are Shawshank Redemption and Braveheart, and my two favorite bands (after TBDBITL) are Pearl Jam and Metallica.

4. I've jumped in Mirror Lake four times, doing it stone-cold sober the first time.

5. Unfortunately, my favorite beer is from that state up north, Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

6.  And one extra: I played offensive and defensive line in middle school/ high school but now am the quarterback for my flag football team.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I'm going on 8 years  :/

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I worked in Huntington.  Maybe it was because I was only 20 at the time, and Marshall is a mostly commuter school; I just did not enjoy my time there.  In the five months I was there, I did not spend one weekend there (drove back to Cincinnati or Columbus every weekend - about 2 1/2 - 3 hours).

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

And when I see this thread in the Forum, I think of this:

(Legalize it)

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

1. Married 26 years, 2 kids in college. One at TOSU, the other at Kent St.

2. Playing 3rd base in little league, turned an unassisted triple play. 

3. Lost a no hitter in high school summer league game, on a two out single to right in the last inning. 

4. Got my first birdie on a course in Chelsea, MI (which is just outside of AA). Both a pitiful and awesome memory at the same time.

5. As a member of the Ohio chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen, flew in a KC 135 fuel tanker refueling A-10's strapped in next to 93 yr old original airman Will Watkins. 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for your service HOV and Habu - we all should be so thankful.       OK here goes nuttin........

1. Married over 24 years 2 kids (19, 10) Wife is still my best friend and we met in Seattle in 1987.

2. I found my undying obsessive love for the S&G when I was in 6th grade.

3. Proud of Cleveland and I will always be loyal to the Browns, Indians and Cavs

4. Ran my first marathon 2 years ago on the hottest day of the year North of Seattle. Needless to say........Not the best day of my life but I finished.

5. Used to work in the sports industry and have met many of the pro sports figures that have either played for Cleveland or played against them at one time or another. Walking through the locker rooms is pretty cool I must say.   

+4 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

1. I am the only Ohio State fan in my entire family. Ever. I have actually been given UM gear at Christmas time and my birthdays as a joke.

2. Have 2 kids that are both OSU fans already. My 6 year old knew most of the words to the Buckeye Battle Cry by the time he was 4 and my 2 year old daughter always takes my Block-O hats and wears them when I leave them out.

3. I drag raced Herman Moore (Detroit Lions WR) when I was a teenager. He was in a Dodge Viper and I was in something that was barely road worthy. He joked with me at the next stop light and is just an all-around great guy.

4. I have never played organized sports in my life outside of beer-league softball. I went out with a few friends that play several times a week and beat them all in a HR derby (what could have been)

5. Jim Tressel is probably the only person in the world that could make me "star-struck".

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

The details of my life are quite inconsequential, ... but, very well, where do I begin?

1.  My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-gradenarcolepsy and a penchant for buggery.

2.  My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloé with webbed feet.

3.  My father would womanize; he would drink; he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. 

4.  My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon ... luge lessons ... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets.  When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really.

5.  At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Vilmer ritualistically shaved my testicles. 

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+7 HS

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

1.  I've chased a career in two countries (here, Canada) and in 5 states.  I now reside in West Virginia, but I'm only 3 hours from the 'Shoe.  I go to at least 2 games per year. 

2.  I can't stand being land locked, so I'd love to be back in Cleveland or at any coastal city with accessible water.

3.  I got married at age 37.  I'm 39 now.  No kids (yet).

4.  I play softball and sand volleyball.  My teams wish I didn't.  I do carry a 200-205 average in bowling, however.

5.  I don't eat cheese.

+2 HS
Wilkins78's picture

1.  From Stow, OH, I graduated from tOSU in March 2003, it was a pretty fun final year for football if I recall.  Student season tickets in the front row of C deck on the 40 yard line.  I was coerced/forced into taking a picture with Holbrook at graduation by my mother.

2.  I toured Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic with the OSU Men's Glee Club.  Also was up and with them at 6am every home game to go around and sing for tailgaters, president's breakfasts (when Kirwin was there), and several other places. 

3.  I worked at the original Tommy's Pizza on Lane (not on campus) most of the way through college.  Met several coaches and former players as they were picking up pizza, including John Cooper, Jerry Rudzinski, Jim Bollman, Jim Heacock, and Joe Daniels (who in the week following Holy Buckeye claimed to me that he called the play).  We collected autographs on cardboard pizza box liners and displayed them above the line.  The owner took down Cooper's autograph every time he saw it.  Coach must have signed at least 5 before we stopped asking for it.

4.  I'm 35, married, and became a new dad on 4/21/2014 with the birth of my little Buckeye girl.  I work in Cleveland in the Medical Device industry, directly dealing with another (sometimes) overbearing regulatory body, the FDA.  Fantastic job though.

5.  Played college soccer at Oakland University until my body couldn't keep up with all the injuries and I transferred home to OSU.  Now I play and coach in Hudson at the same facility I played at growing up.  Our team of old, fairly-out-of-shape coaches/former players just won the Spring outdoor session league championship.

Bonus:  I once dated a girl that had once made out with AJ Hawk's roommate.

+2 HS
saltybuck61's picture

Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan? I grew up in Rochester and used to go to Oakland University soccer games as a child. I might have even seen you play.

Wilkins78's picture

That's the one.  I played there in 97 before transferring home.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Drive by it every day on my way to work

Nappy's picture

1. Grew up in a shit hole called New Lebanon, OH outside of Dayton

2.  I was once "Legally Detained" trying to get into Canada as they thought we were smuggling drugs into the country. 

3.  Both of my parents are deaf and sign language was my first language

4. Drank my first beer at a strip club in Mexico City when I was 15

5. I'm a damn good cook

6. I try to attend one home and one away football game a year until I visit all B1G stadiums.  I go with a friend whom I've known since pre-school.

Fan of bacon since 1981

+4 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Minnesota this year?

Nappy's picture

Michigan State

Fan of bacon since 1981

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

1) pretty much use KB3RG for everything.  It’s a combination of my name. First name is Kent.

2) I love to read fantasy books such as A Song of Ice and Fire, The Kingkiller Chronicle, The Lightbringer Series. I am currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

3)  My freshmen year at BGSU somehow I lived in an upper classmen dorm with the football team and Omar Jacobs was only a few doors down. Good guy.

4) 28, Married with one son who turns 1 at the end of July. Live in Perrysburg, OH

5) Devoted Christian

+1 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

I recently read the Sanderson series,  I read an interview where it sounds like the length of it will be Wheel of Time-esque.  Not really what I wanted to see. 

buckeyebfd's picture

1- Graduated from tOSU in March 1997

2- Met George Steinbrenner at the Clippers game the day after his character was first introduced on Seinfeld. I asked him if he'd seen the episode and he said, "no, should I?"

3 Long suffering Bengals fan and still think if Tim Krumrie hadn't snapped his fibia in the first quarter the Bengals would've won that super bowl

4. Played a pickup game in the brown gym and I had to guard Rickey Dudley, before the game I told him,  "please don't hurt me" he laughed and said he'd try not to

5. Lifelong Cincinnatian except the years I spent in the Taj Mahal that is Morrill Tower

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Love this idea.

edr4225's picture

1.   I am from Toledo and went to the same church that former ohio state basketball great Jimmy Jackson attended.  The church used to get free tickets for the kids and a bus would drive us up to Detroit to watch him play the pistons. Also, I played on his AAU basketball team in high school.

2.  When I first moved to Columbus I had no idea what Raising Canes was and had only heard about Chipotle. Once I experienced those great food places I was thinking I made a good decision coming down here.

3.  In high school I played in a summer league tournament in Akron and heard of some guy named Lebron James tearing it up on one of the other courts.  I was thinking who the heck is that!! As a matter of fact my own dad left my game to go check out Lebron in action.

4.   2 × Heisman Trophy Winner Archie Griffin goes to my barbershop.  When he first walked I was frozen, took me a couple minutes to starting talking ohio state with him.

5.   My parents are from Cincinnati and I have family there.  My cousin is friends with Barry Larkin and his family who lived across his street. I met Barry when I was a kid, but didn’t realize who I was meeting LOL.  Last year though, my cousin introduced me to his brother Stephen at a funeral. 

Bonus: I graduated from Bowling Green State University and watched Urban Meyer turn our football program into champions!! I was like who is this Urban Meyer dude LOL He turned our running back Josh Harris into a Heisman Trophy candidate QB and had BG ranked in the top 25 and I had one of the best experiences of my life when College Gameday came to little Bowling Green!! Bg played and beat Northern Illinois who had Micheal Turner at RB.  I know what you mean KBR3G, Omar Jacobs was good too.  

lets go bucks!!

+2 HS
thirtytrap's picture

The five things that popped into my head....I don't know if the statute of limitations have ran out...So I will just say AIRBORNE and GO BUCKS.

+1 HS