Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

IDEA: Text Alerts / Push Notifications

DCNick's picture
June 14, 2014 at 2:54pm
15 Comments

With the recruiting season heating up it would be really nice to have some sort of alert for commitments. It could be used for other big news as well. This could be done via text alert or a mobile app with push notifications. I would imagine that text alerts with a link to an article would be easier to get off the ground. However, an app for smart phones seems inevitable. If you advertised that the app could give you an alert when there is major news like a commitment then that would encourage people to download it.

sharks's picture

What would be better is texting or tweeting out a link- for commitments only, plus 11w gets the pageview.

Post in this topic so I can give you an upvote: this is a great idea.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

DCNick's picture
+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Bleacher Reports app does that.

Mac..yeah

Crimson's picture

I don't know why anyone would go to BR, let alone download their app.

+5 HS
MacG91's picture

For the fact that it sends you notifications when someone commits. Not everyone is glued to their computer. Its the only app that i can think of that does it for every commit. 

Mac..yeah

sharks's picture

Can I please see a 10 item listicle about the advantages of using b/r over, say, two tin cans and some string?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+6 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I damn near spit out my beer reading that...and it's a good freaking beer!! I was nearly pissed at you, Sharks. But then again, your awesome icon would have made up for it.

+1 HS
Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

I know a lot of people don't have Twitter, but this basically already happens with it. I have a Twitter literally just for 11W guys and other analysts and have it set to send me push notifications when they tweet. Obviously it isn't all commitments, but when I randomly get about a dozen tweets in a row, you can be pretty damn well guaranteed there's some big news there. The guys are incredibly quick about tweeting commitments.

That said, I think this is a wonderful idea to bridge the gap for those who don't use Twitter and to help sift through the non-commitment related tweets.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+3 HS
DCNick's picture

Part of the goal would be to avoid having to refresh 11 Warriors while at work or stare at a twitter feed during the work day.

Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

If you have a smart phone, you can get the twitter app and have it set up to send you push notifications for tweets by specific accounts. I personally have my phone sitting in the corner of my desk during work and occasionally glance over for the blinking notification LED. Obviously, it isn't always a commitment, but it takes just a second to open my phone and check without disrupting my work much and being too conspicuous. Again, just my two cents about something that I find works well enough for me.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

Seattle Linga's picture

Great idea - I'd love to get a text since I don't tweet...........Or at bare minimum I'd like to receive an email.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Only thing is. These apps cost money to have developed for you and since this site is free I dont see the sales of a  few T-shirts and hats being able to  have Jason keeping up with the big dogs. And its funny how bleacher report  went from a straight joke site to now actually pumping out legit sports news lately. I don't visit that site but Ive clicked on some recently linked articles and seen they stepped their game up.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

DCNick's picture

I figured the cost would be a big factor. That's why I figured a texting service would be easier. There are even some that will include an advertisement in the text and pay the sender, although that would be a little annoying.

fosterohio's picture

Follow @birm on twitter and star his account and you will get notifications in real time... follow all your favorite Buckeye info people. @birm is one of the best....

@BucknutsFan  "My primary focus has been helping my teams win titles. I want a football team that goes 4-6 seconds of relentless effort." Urban Meyer

fosterohio's picture

When you star his account you will get push notifications automatically

@BucknutsFan  "My primary focus has been helping my teams win titles. I want a football team that goes 4-6 seconds of relentless effort." Urban Meyer