Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Tour De France 2023

+6 HS
BuckeyeFanInBoulder's picture
July 6, 2023 at 2:28am
62 Comments

Any TdF fans here? Obviously most of us are here to discuss a sport that at first glance looks the complete opposite of cycling, so I might be alone, but the 2023 Tour has been absolutely fantastic, and we're only 5 stages in. No spoilers, but today showcased an absolutely brilliant move to take the yellow jersey, plus some of the most interesting "chess on bikes" from several teams that I have seen in at least 15 years of following cycling. This has been such a brutal week, with the biggest day so far coming tomorrow, I just can't see all the sprinters making the time cuts as we get into week 3. It will be interesting to see who actually makes it to Paris.

If anyone here is not a fan but willing to entertain a sales pitch:

If ever you were going to consider watching cycling, this is the Tour to check out.

There is no other sporting event like road cycling where the fans are literally on the field, possibly even in the way. Tomorrow's mountain top finish and climbs prior to it will be a good showcase of the madness. 

Week 1 has also featured Americans more prominently animating the race than since the days of Lance Armstrong.

This may seem like a hot take, but it's also fairly widely acknowledged; TdF riders are the best endurance athletes in the world. Even so, this first week has been especially brutal, and it is going to break some of these guys. Maybe that's masochistic, but it's interesting to see the races push themselves to the absolute limit... perhaps more interesting if you are already a cyclist, but as a fan of sports in general, seeing athletes give their absolute everything is exciting.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 62 Comments