Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

2017 NFL draft breakdown by homestate, conference, etc.

+2 HS
cdub4's picture
May 1, 2017 at 8:14pm
6 Comments

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/01/nfl-draft-big-12-georgia

An article from Sports Illustrated today breaks down the most recent NFL dratees. including by home state and college conference. I know this subject comes up from time to time on these boards, and is mentioned when Ohio vs OOS recruiting and conference talent debates come up. A few highlights..

Georgia had the most NFL draftees by home state (29)! Considering their population, that number is insane. I see why Meyer spends a lot of time recruiting that state. Ohio was fifth with 16, behind the big 4 states, Louisiana was sixth with 15, with a state population of 4.67 million, less than HALF of Georgia and Ohio. Ridiculous amount of talent per capita in that state.

Only 1 of the 29 Georgia kids actually played for the Georgia Bulldogs.

Also the article focuses on the lack of talent from the Big 12, it has gotten embarrassing low. 14 draftees as a conference, a conference that includes Texas and Oklahoma. Barely any linemen and defensive players. That is something Tom Herman has to recruit against, and something that makes a Texas return to prominence more difficult. Who wants to play in a conference that doesn't prepare you for the NFL? SEC leads in NFL draftees and draftees per team by a large margin.

Just posted it, I think these numbers explain a lot of trends you see in CFB, such as where kids are being recruited from, and why some schools have trouble attracting talent.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments