Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Drew Brees raves about Michael Thomas

+7 HS
WeakSideLB's picture
June 3, 2016 at 4:03pm
33 Comments

Brees to Thomas could be a good combo this season.  Hopefully early and often.

"His improvement over these six practices has been awesome," Brees said after the Thursday workout. "From day one until now, the same mistakes are not being made. He's on to the next set of challenges, and he's continuing to progress well."

But what happened on that one play Thursday impressed Brees more than anything. 

He raved about it after the workout. 

It was a third-down play on which the Saints put seven defenders even with the first-down marker. The call was for Thomas to run an 18-yard out route.

But, with an unspoken visual cue, Brees told Thomas to take another route.

"I gave him a route that we have literally never repped before together," Brees said. "In fact, I don't think we'd ever even talked about it. But I was just in the moment, and he's my guy at that position, so I gave him the signal. He goes and makes the play and ran the route just like I imagined."

Instead of taking a right turn toward the sideline at 18 yards from the line of scrimmage, Thomas took a couple hard stutter steps to trick the defender into thinking the turn was coming. And then he continued forward. 

Thomas said it was important to make all his routes look the same before turned in any direction. 

"I knew I would be able to get away with it if I kept everything looking tight and made it look like the original route that I was on and then broke it out," Thomas said. "I just had to be professional and run the route like that."

The article goes into more detail and has more quotes from Brees.  http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/06/new_orleans_saints_michael_...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 33 Comments