Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Favorite Rush Move

0 HS
UniotoTank55's picture
December 17, 2015 at 6:47pm
40 Comments

Well, it's Thursday evening and I have nothing much else to do, so I figured I'd open a slightly relevant discussion about the defensive line.  Now as a defensive tackle, I had a bevy of rush moves (both for penetration against the run and pressure on the pass) that I had in my repertoire,  but my three favorites were as follows:

1. Shoulder Bat Rip

2. Push Pull Rip

3. Helmet Smack Swim (or House's move in these parts)

I'll just talk about the Shoulder Bat Rip for now.

This move is a lineman classic, perhaps most famously used by the great Howie Long:

There are three steps to completing this move.

First is the same for almost every rush move: close the distance.  Fire off the ball and into your offensive lineman the instant the ball moves.  Hands should be inside, arms extended, looking for the ball.  Be lower than the guy across from you, as always.

Once you have located the ball, take your play side arm back and give a hard club to the offensive lineman's shoulder.  Do your best to really knock him of balance.  I sometimes add a jab step in the opposite direction for a little extra deception, but the bat typically works on its own.

Lastly is the rip.  Once you've batted and freed your other arm, bring that arm through HARD, starting low and then forcing it high into the sky.  It is sometimes preferable to bring the arm back and elbow the lineman as you blow by, but especially at my level this isn't always necessary.  Thus, you have completed the Shoulder Bat Rip.

What's your favorite rush move?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments