Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Coaches You Would Most Like to Play for

0 HS
CTBuckeye's picture
December 12, 2014 at 4:04pm
30 Comments

There are plenty of lists already out there of the "greatest coaches of all time" (mostly just based on wins and championships) - so this is a bit different.  What coach would you like to most have played for, across any sport, past or present?

Given that most college athletes never go pro, having a coach that can go beyond just football, basketball, etc. to really teach you something about life.  I think the Buckeyes have been blessed with Tressel and Meyer as our last two coaches - they're not only great coaching the game, but seem to really garner loyalty because of how they treat their players as family.

Some of the big names that come to mind for me - John Wooden, Mark Richt, Bob Stoops, Joe Pa, Jim Tressel, Dean Smith, Red Auerbach, and Urban.

A little bit of a backstory on why I thought of this: I was watching the college football awards last night and caught the portion for the "Spirit Award" that went to Bob Stoops and Sterling Shepard and thought to myself how great it would be to have played for Stoops.  He seems like not only a great coach, but a great human being. (actually I have a good Bob Stoops story - he played high school football with my uncle in Youngstown.  I went back because my uncle was being inducted into their high school's hall of fame and Stoops was giving a speech.  Night before saw him in the local dive bar, smoking a giant stogie and holding court until 2am telling war stories from high school and college - hands down one of the coolest experiences I've had).

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments