Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Steubenville Rapist is Named Defensive Player of the Year in Eastern Ohio

Matt Gutridge's picture
November 13, 2014 at 10:04am
143 Comments
Richmond served 16 months in a Juvenile Detention Center after being convicted of rape.

Richmond served 16 months in a Juvenile Detention Center after being convicted of rape.

Ma'Lik Richmond was convicted of rape in March of 2013. Today he was named All-District Defensive Player of the Year for Division IV in the Eastern District of Ohio.

An excerpt from heraldstaroline.com

COLUMBUS - Sixty-one football players from seven local teams were honored when The Associated Press Eastern All-District football teams were announced Wednesday.

Leading the way is Steubenville's Ma'Lik Richmond.

The senior mike linebacker was named the Division IV Defensive Player of the Year.

"I want to congratulate Ma'Lik on his award," said Big Red head coach Reno Saccoccia. "He had a lot of great teammates around him. Although he will not be playing with us (he is out with a torn ACL), hopefully he'll help with leadership Friday night."

Steubenville takes on Marion-Franklin at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the regional semifinals at Meadowbrook High School.

Richmond

Division IV Eastern District Defensive Player of the Year.

I wonder what the national media is going to make of this if/when they realize that a convicted rapist from the "Steubenville Rape Case" was awarded this honor by the sports writers of Eastern Ohio? 

*If you had a vote for this honor, would you have given it to Ma'Lik Richmond knowing what he did in the past?

I wonder how many of the writers who gave him a vote for the Defensive Player of the Year honor used ink to skewer Richmond? 

If you missed this week's articles before they went to blog heaven:
The Series History: Ohio State/Minnesota

The Rundown: No. 8 Ohio State at No. 25 Minnesota

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 143 Comments