Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Mike Trout a classy throwback

dustinccc's picture
July 16, 2014 at 10:04am
25 Comments

I have been watching Mike Trout for the past three years and he has quickly become my favorite player.    I grew up in Cincinnati watching my boy hood idol Barry Larking hold down SS.  Ever since he retired I have failed to connect to a player.  Barry did so many things well on and off the field he set a high standard.  However,  this Trout kid is a tremendous talent, but what I like is the class in which he plays the game.  

In a day and age where you have the Richard Shermans running their mouth, and the Johhny Footballs of the world (who's ego matches his nickname) it is great to see a throwback like Trout.  Humble, classy, understated.  Watching him last night it looks like he knows he is living every little boys dream and enjoying every minute.  

So who is your favorite player and why?

TheChase's picture

Derek Jeter.  He plays the game hard and doesn't showboat.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I'm assuming you're asking who our favorite player in baseball is so I'll go with that. Right now, I'd say Clayton Kershaw. To me, he's hands down the best pitcher in the game and it seems like he just pitches with ease. He's like Roy Halladay to me in a way. He throws hard, but doesn't look like he's going to throw his arm out of its socket every pitch, but has an array of off-speed pitches that are killer. For as young as he is, he has the chance to go down as one of the great pitchers of all time if he can remain healthy.

Prior to him, Matt Holliday was my favorite. He just did everything so well and kept quiet while doing it. I like those sorts of players.

I'm also beginning to really like Jose Altuve from the Astros. I didn't think much of him prior to the season, but he has the most hits in the majors by quite a bit and he steals like crazy. I don't know much about his defense as I don't get to see him play much at all, but being a 2B, I'd imagine he has to be at least pretty good. There are a lot of young guys making a big splash in the majors right now and it's been fun to watch the last couple years.

sharks's picture

I like Swish. He's an overrated, underperforming bro, but he genuinely seems to enjoy playing. He's excitable, doesn't give canned answers, and engages the fans. Seems like a great guy to have a few brewskis with.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+6 HS
BuckeyeBBD's picture

I'm an Indians fan, my roommate is a Reds fan and he loves to mock me for Mr. "Bro-hio".  I don't care. I love the guy's attitude.  I'm a little concerned with his performance, but I can't help but like him.

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Yankee fan here, Swish is one of my favorite players of all-time. So much fun to watch.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Billy Hamilton-center fielder/lead off hitter for the Cincinnati Reds

He is one of the most exciting players to watch with his skill and speed combination. He is young and will only improve. He is a very respectable and well spoken young man. He goes about the game the "right" way and gives 100% effort 100% of the time. Leader by example and the type of player that could make a whole team play harder.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
ECSAGESTER's picture

The "classy" argument makes me cringe, but I love watching Mike Trout. Trout and Puig make the LA teams must-watch baseball. I hardly miss Reds games, don't watch anybody else consistently...except the Dodgers and Angels when they're on the national broadcast. 

+1 HS
Toolface4's picture

Mark Buehrle. Class act and still killing it, seems to be a fan favorite wherever he goes

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Jose Abreu. Not since Frank Thomas days did I think there was a chance every time a player stepped up to the plate did I think a white sox player may go yard every at bat.

also, I have read articles that say he is extremely humble and is actually embarrassed he doesn't speak much English and apologizes to everyone interviewing him for his lack of English and his desire to learn it to communicate without an interpreter. 

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I really like Lonnie Chisenhall. Like others mentioned, he really seems to enjoy playing. He's the main reason for my renewed interest in baseball. 

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Brandon Phillips is mine. Dat Dude is very open and engaging of the fans. And hes always smiling. No matter what...dude just looks like he genuinely loves what hes doing. Doesnt hurt hes arguably the best defensive second baseman in baseball.

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Never officially retired.....

+1 HS
TedGinnIsFasterThanYou's picture

Baseball: Roberto Clemente ... selfless humanitarian, hero, great example for others to follow

Football: Peyton Manning ... classy, smart, could be a future GM and or head coach at some point if he desires to

Basketball: Aaron Craft ... great guy, smart, consummate teammate, just a winner

Golf: Phil Mickelson ... classy, low key kind of guy; does a lot of charity/outreach work with Navy families who've lost a loved one

Hockey: Sidney Crosby ... very similar to Mickelson, does a lot of good work off the field, under the radar & out of the public spotlight

+1 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Google Peyton manning tea bag. 

Your opinion about his class might change lol. 

-1 HS

thanks, but no thanks ... I keep my opinion of him at the same high level. People can have some "boys will be boys" kind of fun while at the college age. And, an article by the femi-Nazi Christine Brennan came up...Christine Brennan? haha she's a hack.

FloridaBuck's picture

Eh, it doesn't concern me one way or the other, but suffice it to say, UT ended up paying out some big bucks for some of his 'boys will be boys' actions.

Denny's picture

Puig, because I like watching people who use the word 'classy' cringe.

Taquitos.

+2 HS

haha Puig, didn't he almost kill people driving drunk. What an ass.

+2 HS
ECSAGESTER's picture
-2 HS
hodge's picture

Todd Frazier.  AKA "The Toddfather".  Homeboy's walk-up music is Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon", he saved a guy from choking to death in Pittsburgh, and he does stuff like this.  Not to mention the fact that he's OPS'ing .853, has a 3.6 WAR, and is one of the best defensive third basemen in the game.

Larkin (ironically a UM grad) was my childhood hero; Frazier's as worthy a successor as anyone playing the game today.

+6 HS

Very solid post Hodge. Larkin was also one of my idols growing up and that switched over to Ken Griffey jr. as I played center field from about age 6-16. Frazier is a beast and a genuinely good guy. Also one of the better younger players coming up. Him and Hamilton can carve out a nice piece of history if the Reds can keep them together. They compliment each other nicely and both benefit from each other.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Mike Trout for the exact same reasons.  He's a once in a lifetime talent, too.  He does everything so easily.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
irishfury's picture

As a little league all star and meeting many of the reds players in my day.  Chris Sabo, Barry Larkin, Paul Oneal.  Many great memories. 

I was actually taught how to play the game of baseball by the great Dave Parker who was a very good friend of my mother. That inspiration he instilled in me as a young kid made me love the game for life.