Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Next move for the Cavs?

JDunc686's picture
July 11, 2014 at 3:58pm
101 Comments

So what do you think should be the next move for the Cavs?  They own Miami's 2015 first round pick, which will likely be a very high lottery pick.  Should the Cavs package the pick in a deal to bring in Kevin Love while retaining Wiggins?  Should they package Wiggins in a deal for KL but keep the pick to use in the draft for a roster upgrade, such as Okafor or Turner?  Should they just wait for KL to become a free agent, keep Wiggins and the pick, and make a trade to add some depth at Center?  I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.

703Buckeye's picture

If they can keep Wiggins AND get Love, I'm all for it. If I had to guess, it's probably what the Cavs are aiming for. 

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+4 HS
BUCKSOMIES's picture

Agree, keep Wiggins, get Love and go from there.

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

If we could do that... hooooooo boy, watch out...

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+4 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I just don't think we can get Love and keep Wiggins.

+1 HS
Posterchild's picture

Minnesota will eventually lose him whether they trade him and get something back for him, or they lose him in free agency and get nothing back for him.

Cleveland is going to be fine this year, and I hope they wait it out of Minnesota doesn't back off of Wiggins. Who knows, Minnesota might loosen their grip on Love mid year when the writing is really on the wall. I'd rather go through the year with Bennett and Wiggins and the rest of the roster in tact and see what parts don't work.

+1 HS
TBDBITL0509's picture

I think LBJ's essay spelled it out pretty clearly; he's not expecting to win a championship this year, so don't burn the furniture (trade Wiggins) when patience will get you exactly what you need in a year (Love in free agency).

JDunc686's picture

Edit:  Just saw that the pick is top-10 protected  through 2016 and unprotected in 2017.

703Buckeye's picture

No doubt Miami saw this exact scenario playing out. 

PittBuckeye's picture

I'm not sure that anyone saw their entire roster being Josh McRoberts, Danny Granger, and Norris Cole. That's some real doomsday shit.

+4 HS
OSU069's picture

Don't forget Shabazz Napier!

703Buckeye's picture

I mean from the perspective that Miami made sure the pick was protected.

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture

The aggressive Beth wants them to get KLove to chase the championship now. The more I think about it, they might be better off long term sitting back on being too aggressive this year. Wait until next year and the Cavs will be in an even better position.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I like the aggressive Beth.

+1 HS
KeithMC33's picture

I believe that Heat pick is a top 10 protected, so let's hope they fall in around 12 or 13. If we trade for Love and take back Kevin martin's  (another Ohio guy) contract, we MIGHT be able to get away with Waiter, Bennett and 2 #1's for Love and Martin. I'm sure other teams will drive up the price for us, but we can all hope! Love has said he would sign an extension, so even though i would hate losing Wiggins, I would take a trophy over him, and i think we get one by adding Love. 

+1 HS
JDunc686's picture

I just saw the protection stipulations on the pick, that does add another element to everything.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I'm not convinced that if we get Love its a done deal for trophy. I wouldn't give the franchise for him. In many ways, we'd be trading the future for right now and I'd be hesitant. 

+3 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

The pick is top-10 protected. So there's a good chance it will still be Miami's pick next year. I think they are definitely trying to get Love, by trading Wiggins, Bennett, and picks. Seems like it would be hard to have three max contract guys, but I guess if they trade for Love this year, they can resign him using Bird Rights and go over the cap. 

Personally, I would like to see them hold on to Wiggins, and watch him grow under Lebron's tutelage, but their best chance of winning soon is definitely adding Love.

Bolt's picture

I'll be extremely pissed if they trade Wiggins. I don't think they need to. It's not whether he's better than Love now or has better potential in the future...it's that the T-Wolves don't have any leverage in this. I think we could offer Bennett, Dion, Haywood's expiring contract and all 3 first rounders next year and that has to be as good or better than Golden State or Boston can really offer.

+7 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

You want Haywood so you can go 10 million above the cap next year. Otherwise yeah you'd dump him happily. 

But I 100% agree about Wiggins I think you have to keep that kid, and have LeBron tell KL to wait 1 season and come on up. Dumping money to sign him would be simple with the guys they have, plus they can get picks back.

+3 HS

I don't think that's as good as Boston could offer. Boston has 8 first round picks over the next three years, and expiring contracts, and are open to moving Sulllinger and/or Olynyk, who are more attractive combo than a Bennett and Waiters combo.

Also, Chicago has a right to swap first rounders with Cleveland next year, so between those two teams, no way that pick is higher than 25th.

JDunc686's picture

I don't think Chicago can choose to swap their pick for the the pick the Cav's own through the Heat.

+1 HS

No, I just meant they can swap with the cavs pick (not a big difference since both teams will probably be very good anyway).

Here is a good site outlining all the pick craziness:

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

+2 HS
JDunc686's picture

Great find on the link!

+2 HS
js2378's picture

Right, but Boston won't offer that unless Love commits to a long-term deal and he probably won't since Boston isn't a contender.

+4 HS

Yeah, Love could drive his trade value way down by saying he would only sign with Cleveland. He said he was open to resigning in Boston before, but now the Cavs are obviously a much more attractive landing spot, so that may no longer be the case.

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

I still think with multiple first rounders and Bennett and Waiters that is more or less on par with what Boston could offer. Bennett is a very good athlete with tons of potential and Waiters showed during the 2nd half of last year that he could average 20 ppg in the right situation next season. Sullinger is always hurt and Olynyk is good, but doesn't offer much growth potential...he is what he is. The other thing to take into account is Love can hold some leverage over the T-wolves and their trade partner by telling both teams he won't re-sign to a long term deal (or at least not committing to it so Boston would have to weigh the risk of losing him) unless he gets traded to Cleveland if LeBron & co. can convince him to come here.

+1 HS

Point is we don't have to give that up. Minnesota is almost in a take it or leave it position. They've got no leverage. 

+3 HS

True that Love could essentially kill any trade to Boston. I did forget Boston could also trade either Marcus Smart or James Young too, so there's no doubt Boston has more valuable assets they are willing to part with, but they would need Love to agree to resigning in Boston.

Citrus's picture

What Boston probably won't have is a contender. A team isn't trading for Love unless he extends. Therefore, Love has the leverage, not the Wolves. If he says Cavs not Boston that limits things. Waiters and Bennet are fair. Wolves are gonna take that if Love makes it.

+1 HS

Exactly. Minnesota has absolutely no leverage and a lot of risk. You low ball the offer and don't budge with Wiggins. 

+5 HS
Gametime's picture

I agree with a lot of these posts. If you're the CAVS you absolutely do NOT budge on Wiggins.

They've already offered Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett, & a future 1st Rd. pick for Love and recently the Warriors confirmed they're not budging on Klay Thompson. Depending on how much Boston offers & how that scenario works out, if Minnesota doesn't take it now, they could always wait them out until the trade deadline. They are in a no-win situation.

If the CAVS don't wanna wait that long, they could offer the same sign & trade deal to the Knicks who to bring in Carmelo as LeBron's running mate as a perfect stretch PF where he's more comfortable.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Melo doesn't want to play here. Him and his wife are all about the glitz and the glamor. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's just the truth. 

+4 HS
TraSmith4's picture

You nailed the Melo mentality right there OSU069

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Don't bring in Melo.  Would be a horrible move to bring in a 1 dimensional player.  He adds nothing on the defensive side of the ball, and all he does is shoot on offense-doesn't create anything for anyone else.

+3 HS
d1145fresh's picture

I have posted this one one of the other threads but I don't see any reason to make a huge push right now for Love. His contract is up at the end of this season and as it gets closer to the deadline Minnesota is going to be more willing to get anything in return for him. Right now he has a lot of value. Plus even if he gets traded to another team it doesn't mean he will sign there. The Cavs could sign and trade next summer for him or sign him outright if the cap moves up to 80 million and you drop Andy. 

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I don't think he is an UFA until 2016...

-1 HS
d1145fresh's picture

His contract is over in 2016 but he can opt out next year. Which he has said he will do. 

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Roger that.  Thanks for the clarification for me.

buckeyecityterror's picture

Also a possibility the cavs trade for him and ask him to opt in to count less against the cap next year to bring in more talent. Just a thought. 

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

TraSmith4's picture

First moves will probably be adding Ray Allen  and Mike Miller. Just being honest because the Love thing could drag out for a while as reports are coming out that Griffin does not want to part with Wiggins under any circumstances so I think he will play hardball as long as possible. We shall see!

Citrus's picture

Wiggins has the potential of being a superstar. We shouldn't budge. Waiters is a nice player for the Wolves limited position.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

Take it for what its worth cause Chris Broussard is terrible.

+4 HS

Lol. Cavs don't have to do anything. They can wait and get Love for free next year. 

+3 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Exactly. Wiggins is the kind of super rare talent that only comes around every so often.  He's the type and caliber of player you literally build franchises around.  Having that kid, and now LeBron?  And Kyrie?  Holy shit, this is the stuff dynasties are made of.  You do NOT under any circumstances deal Wiggins.  Period.  End of story. 

Cleveland, be patient, not only is the championship drought coming to an end soon, but it truly looks like the possibility of a dynasty that might only be rivaled by the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics teams.

+3 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Kyrie and LeBron will be taking up over half the salary cap next year. I don't see enough room to sign Love. Lakers will have boku cap room.

labuck's picture

They cannot trade Wiggins.  That would be such a terrible move.  Let him play with Lebron and Kyrie.  He will have so much space and room to operate he will be just fine.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Kevin Love is on record that he is leaving Minn after the season. I could see a scenario of where we get Love and keep Wiggins. We have a lot of young talent...Waiters has pretty high trade value, Cavs have 3 first round picks next year and Anthony Bennett. If we can send those assets and get a 3rd team involved, I could see it happening.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Bet everyone that wanted to draft Jabari Parker is feeling pretty happy now with Wiggins.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS

I watched them play in the summer league last night and parker looks good, but really fatigued. Wiggins looked very good defensively and had a couple plays he WOULD have made if kyrie or lebron had the ball coming up the court. Also outscored parker, and bennett had something around 15 points and 8 rebounds.

PittBuckeye's picture

Wiggins got really tired too, nobody was as tired as Bennett though, that dude was dead.

And he outscored Parker, but was less efficient in doing so, I think overall I'd take Parkers performance, but not by much, and he was supposed to be way more polished offensively anyway.

Citrus's picture

Good for Cavs because Miami's pick is top 10 protected. This should ensure Miami stays out of the top 10.

+1 HS

Wow thats insane after the Rockets just traded Lin to the Lakers to clear cap space for Bosh. Bosh to Houston could have been a major move. This is good for anyone not living in the Houston area.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS

Is there a scenario where Howard could end up in cleveland? 

Go1Bucks's picture

Go for Love, do NOT give up Wiggins.  Period.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
Citrus's picture
+4 HS
Jbucks's picture

im not worried about Love, we could get him next year via FA, but would we have enough Cap to sign Waiters and Thompson to extensions as well? the scenerio i see playing out is if we trade for Love we will be giving up whats left of our depth, yeah you can add Mike Miller and Ray Allen but then what? your already out Jarrett Jack (back up PG) and Tyler Zeller (starting Center) now were trying to trade our James Harden like 6th man and another back up rotation guy in Anthany Bennett who was a #1 pick with tons of potential (heard he slimmed down and is more athletic and stronger now) so he could be a big piece off the bench. you get rid of those 2 guys and were in the same boat as Miami was last year a good starting 5 with old ring chasers coming off the bench to just do nothing... you can say definitively that Depth was an issue back in 2008-2010 when were contending and definitely say Miami lost in finals due to depth problems last year, we dont need thos problems again... stay on the path we are on we built a core now keep the core together adding LBJ is great but you cant trade everything you have to please him right away we cant afford to and he said it himself in his letter "we wont win championships right away" "im going to be an old head im going to mentor these younger players" OBVIIOUSLY the guy knows what he was doing when he chose Cleveland and obviously he likes the players already here. alow him to hrlp this team grow dont kill everything weve done so far bcuz essentially your setting yourself up for failure in the long run... keeping Waiters and Bennett is crucial it allows for scoring off the bench and Bennett could essentially allow Jamed to rest

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

+2 HS
Citrus's picture

I agree that depth is important and both players could be pretty good. However, Love averages 26 pts and 12 rebounds. That's insane production. Depth can be found. Further, we wouldn't just have a big three. Cavs would have a big three plus Wiggins and Andy. That's better than anything the Heat put together. Tristian Thompson coming off the bench would be nice. Depth can be added with veterans. I think Ray Allen did a bit more than nothing last year. Essentially, Bennet and Waiters coming off the bench would be replaced with Ray Allen and TT coming off the bench. There isn't much drop off there.

We might not just be able to sign Love next year because of salary cap restrictions. However, if we trade for him, there is increased flexibility.

+2 HS

Without Ray Allen, LeBron doesn't have a ring. And the absence of Miller last year was evident. Good points Citrus.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

I think the depth point is a good one and the Cavs shouldn't mortgage the future. My point is that finding depth is easier than finding Kevin Love.

+3 HS

If you can add a player of Loves caliber who is at the top  of his game I almost say you do it anyway possible. Although I also agree I would be sad getting rid of Wiggins if that was what it took. Depth and role players are abundant in the NBA,players like Kevin Love are not. I honestly think they find a way to add Love and then its really title talk time.

Get your point, but I'm still not sold on selling the future to get Love. He's put up great numbers but there's only one ball. He doesn't play defense and I don't think we'd see that kind of production from him on a different team, i.e. the cavs with kyrie and lebron. He's a great player no doubt. I just question betting the farm on him. 

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

i agree people don't account for the fact that the offense ran through him, and it won't in Cleveland.  he may have a few big nights but theres no way on earth he's averaging those numbers here - which is fine as long as cleveland wins.

Love has improved his defense dramatically. He still gets stuck with that label though. His ability to pass from down low is highly undervalued and opens up the whole court. Here is chart of the Timberwolves defense with and without Love  over his seasons.Obviously the lower the number the better.

Another small graph to show Loves worth.

+1 HS

Still not sure I agree with you, but solid case. Lots of variables. Impossible to single out Love. Curious how teams wins stats are calc'd.  But you make your point. 

+1 HS

I highly respect that opinion and there really is no right or wrong opinion. Idea situation is attract Love or another dominate post player and compete for a title immediately without sacrificing Wiggins or too much youth and picks. Other scenario is do whatever it takes to get Love asap and compete for titles instantaneously while maybe sacrificing long term. Not going to lie I'm dealing with some serious health issues that have sped up my title wanting for Ohio teams,have no issue whatsoever with people not wanting to mortgage the future for the right now. Hopefully we all can be happy and they take a low offer or Love just decides to sign here next season. 

Citrus's picture

I wouldn't give up on Wiggins though. He could be a superstar. I guess if that is what it took. Wiggins is asking too much.

+1 HS

I think Wiggins for sure will be a Superstar. I also think it could take 2 full seasons to get him up to a All-star level. With LeBron being there I'm starting to think he can get the best out of all this young talent and really speed these kids progress up. I think we get Love now without Wiggins even being in the discussion after listening to some experts opinions. Watched Bennett last night on TV and he really turned his body and game around. Wiggins looked super athletic and you can really tell he is all out effort and team player that will be on sports center every night. I'm trending to agreeing about lets wait and see the only thing I worry about is supposedly Golden State was locked in to getting Love. Now with the Cavs in the mix the word is Love's value increased.

Citrus's picture

Seems Love wants to play for a contender. Any team that trades for him is going to be contingent upon Love's willingness to extend. Thus, Love has a ton of power. There are some nice prospects on the Cavs' roster, I'd still be willing to move any of them but Wiggins for Love. I'm also wondering about Gee. He was traded away and expected to be cut. I am not sure if the rules prohibit it but, he would be decent depth if brought back for a reasonable salary.
Additionally, Need some one else at center.

+1 HS
nrbuckguy's picture

With that Haywood contract on board for next year with 3 first round picks we WIlL get another at least respectable player added to our roster next offseason. This even further lowers the the pressure to trade for Love. Cavs should just sit tight until the trade deadline approaches or until Minny agrees to a non-Wiggins trade for Love

In Urban We Trust

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I agree with the last part, minus the fact that you want the guy in the fold ASAP. 

The first part though while true that you'd come out with at least 1 respectable player you're going to be out of cap room entirely, and he won't be anything like what Kevin Love is. Whether they trade for Love or not, there's no way they make all those picks.

MJT's picture

Love is only 25, so the Cavs would not be choosing the present over the future by trading for him. I agree that if the Cavs can keep Wiggins and still get Love it would be amazing

"Paralyze resistance with persistence."  -Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

Isn't KL's current contract up after this season? If the Cavs can't get him w/o giving up Wiggins just wait one more year, then he could just sign w/ the Cavs w/o them losing anyone. But if they can get him for Waiters, Bennett & a future 1st rounder make the trade.

His contract is up in 2016. If the cavs trade for him this year, the cavs can ask him to opt into his contract to count 15 mil against the cap instead of a max contract.

+1 HS

Thanks for the answer. For some reason I thought his contract was up after this season.

If he stays in minnesota then it will be because he has stated that he WILL opt out. And no problem.

KingsRite's picture

Keep Wiggins, add some support and ride it out. Lets see what this team can do and add missing links later if needed. If they can get Love without mortgaging everything then I'm all for it.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

Apparently Wiggins and Bennett are looking good in the summer league. I have a feeling Bennett is going to turn some heads. 

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/11/andrew-wiggins-jabari-...

As a former UNLV season ticket holder I hope Bennett improves greatly from his miserable rookie year.

PittBuckeye's picture

He looked decent early, but he still just isn't in the shape to play a whole game. 

sox33osu's picture

Minnesota will trade Love, and I'd bet it will be to Cleveland. They would be best suited making the deal sooner rather than later. Getting pieces in like Waiter and Bennett, they need to get them ingratiated to the team. They are both very solid pieces, and while they won't fully replace Love, they will definitely do better there with the available PT. 

The only thing with the Cavs getting Love is that they need to look for one more big man. Love is definitely a huge boost on offense, but Love no likey defense, so that has to be addressed. Andy is not reliable enough to be the main post defender. I'd love to see them possibly get Greg Monroe in the fold if possible. My ideal starting lineup for the Cavs next year would be:

PG: Irving
SG: Wiggins
SF: Lebron
PF: Love
C: Varajao

Bench:
Tristan Thompson
Greg Monroe
Mike Miller
Ray Allen
Matt Dellavedova
Joe Harris

There are some decent PG options in FA I'd like to see them look at, as well.

That starting lineup and bench would most likely be the favorite to win the title out the gate. Would be the idea situation for me.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I mean if we're being completely unrealistic sure, but first off Monroe would start over Varejao, and 2nd he's going to get over 10 mil a year as a restricted FA. He'd be a great get, but he's not going to be coming, just can't afford him. 

Fear The Elf's picture

Take away Monroe, and it's a deal. Not that I don't want Monroe, but I see no realistic way to add him amongst the other moves.

Furious George 27's picture

Didn't read all the comments but the deal is Waiters, Bennett and 1st Rd for KL..... I would never get rid of Wiggins and as they days go by Minnesota loses leverage. Appologize if I repeated anyone's previous statements 

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS

That indeed was the Cavs "opening" offer for Love.  I'm sure the Wolves will want to play a little poker and see just how bad the Cavs want him. I doubt the final deal is going to be the same as the opening offer. If that was all we had to give up you jump as quick as possible.

Citrus's picture

Why not? He was productive when he played with Miami. He'll make the minimum.

Guess the only concern is having two big men with injury histories.

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

I just like the idea of Oden playing in Ohio again. Maybe a little unfinished business for him as well.

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

If I'm Lebron I tell Love to hold off for a year, don't sign any long term deals with anyone who trades for you, and then come over to play for the Cavs with Wiggins. If the Wolves would trade him without Wiggins then the Cavs should get it done now. I'd even give up all 3 2015 first round picks for him because all those picks will suck, including Miami's now that Bosh has re-upped with them.

Citrus's picture

Don't know if the cavs will have the cap space to sign Love next year. A sign and trade doesn't have the same salary cap implications.

PittBuckeye's picture

It would involve moving some guys for sure, but they'd make room. That's why I have no problem with the Bennett/Waiters trade, you'd have to dump their contracts to bring him in anyway.

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

Now that LBJ has signed with a 1 year option he can opt out next year and Cavs can resign him to a max deal over the cap using Bird rights and they'll have Haywood's 10 mill to work with also.

KingsRite's picture

I probably should have posted this here. LeBron James’ deal with the cavs is reportedly for two years at $42.1M.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

Dweinz's picture
+1 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

I know Mike Miller is LeBron's boy, and I know he looked great in the Finals two years ago... but seriously... does Miller have any knees/legs left?  I'm not sure I'm buying this signing.

Miller is still a great role player with ice water in his veins in the 4th qtr. Yea he might be about finished but he is a guy you would rather have on your team then be facing him in the 4th qtr of game 7.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And the positive is - LBJ really wanted him on the team.

+1 HS

He shot 46% from 3 last year and played all 82 games. Also brings playoff experience and veteran presence at a discount. Broussard said he had better offers.

+2 HS
danbrown7665's picture

do the cavs still have the midlevel exception?

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time