Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Tim Howard

allinosu's picture
July 1, 2014 at 6:07pm
31 Comments

No matter how this ends Tim Howard is the man.

Seattle Linga's picture

Standing on his head the whole game - if he wasn't in goal today - we'd lost 5-0

+7 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

3/4 of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by TIMMY HOWARD!

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

If Chuck Norris played today, Tim Howard would have stopped him.

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

feel sick for Howard

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
allinosu's picture

He has nothing to hang his about.

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Killed it out there today.. Should never have to buy a drink in the country again lol. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+3 HS
Findog5's picture

Stone cold. Dude is unreal!!

NCFinn

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Don't know the first thing about Soccer but I watched, enjoyed, and even I could tell you he played a great game today.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

+1 HS
makearuckus's picture

Set a fifa record for most saves in a game, only in Merica!!!!    Sry song stuck in my head. lol

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

His issue is he has a tendency to sit down when trying to break down the angle from a strike so if the attacking player gets any lift on his shot, its a goal. Also, 'sitting down' makes it difficult for him to be able to stretch on shots going to the far post…with that being said, dude was unreal tonight, as were several of the players. Great effort, lets hope this builds some momentum for the future and soccer is no longer a bandwagon type of sport for fans of America to rally behind every 4 years. 

bleedscarletpissmaize's picture

I don't enjoy watching soccer. But I do enjoy international competition. It would be nice if the World Cup was every 2 years. I'll be 29 when the World Cup comes back around and that pisses me off.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

September 3 2014 a friendly vs Czech Republic

2016 you get the Olympics

jeremytwoface's picture

Also, in 2016, the US will host a special version of the Copa America. 

The Copa America is usually a tournament of mostly South American (CONMEBOL) national teams, but teams from other confederations are also invited. The United States is usually always invited, but they usually turn down the invitation because of scheduling conflicts with MLS. It normally happens every 4 years on the year after the World Cup (the next one is going to be next year in Chile), but a special version of the tournament is going to be held in 2016 in the United States. It's the first time the tournament has been held outside of South America. It's also being held on an off year because it markes the 100 year anniversary of the first tournament. If the US field a strong team, it could be a very exciting tournament. Three teams that are in the last 8 of this World Cup (Brazil, Argentina and Columbia) will be in the tournament in 2016 along with the United States and Mexico. There will be other South and North American teams as well.

Another tournament that will be next year is the Gold Cup which is a competition between members of COCACAF which is North and Central America. It usually doesn't get as much coverage and we usually use our "B" team, but it's still a time you can cheer for America.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

MacG91's picture

He goes right up with Landon Donovan as the greatest American soccer player ever. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
makearuckus's picture

I hope some youg kid is watching this, and says to his dad . We will wont lose again dad!   I get it dad!!!

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Brilliant. Plain and simple. Nothing else needs to be said. The result may be a bitter pill...but Tim Howard can walk away knowing he gave his team and country everything he possibly could.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Best match I have ever seen from a keeper. Could have been 7-1....I feel bad for him and he is a true leader and was getting in players asses the whole time for making mistakes.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

People can say what they want about Donovan, but IMO Tim Howard is the greatest American soccer player of all time. And, honestly, it's not that close.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

He was amazing... probably his last Cup. He will be impossible to replace.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

I got to the point where I just expected him to make a play. He did not disappoint. Stellar performance! 

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Last Cup for the two American players who were the most successful club players we've ever produced.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

There's another Timmy we know about that is still making plays in his late 30's.

LEBRON

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

If these are the most successfully club players ever... I feel bad for the US

Class of '16

-6 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

If you look at the numbers, they've done pretty well for themselves in the EPL. And the US lineage of club players is not extensive. However, it is improving.

Are you only saying that about Howard because he replaced Barthez at Man U? Because he has been a pretty damn good keeper in the EPL. Also, Dempsey had a pretty decent run with Fulham. Don't overlook that. American soccer is relatively young, at least as it relates to relevancy and popularity. American players also quite frequently also have to overcome the stigma of being American to even earn time with some clubs. I know Europeans really don't want to US to go all-in on soccer as they do with many other sports, as you are well aware of the athleticism and resources that could be devoted to success. If US Soccer became totally committed, with the fan support of say, Italy, the US would be a perennially top 4-5 type nation along with Germany, Brazil, and Italy.

Alas, that day will probably not come, as our country has many different sports on the landscape, whereas a country like France has only two - soccer and mediocre basketball.

+1 HS
irishfury's picture

All our top athletes go into basketball, baseball and football.

Could you imagine athletes like.

Lebron, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, Adrien Peterson if they grew up dedicated to soccer.

jeremytwoface's picture

If these are the most successfully club players ever... I feel bad for the US

Think about how other countries feel about basketball... For other countries, a player in one of the top NBA teams is a big deal. Hopefully we (the USA) get to a point where it's not that big of a deal to have someone play in the EPL. 

+2 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Columbus's own, Brian Mcbride, belongs in that group as well

Groveport_Buckeye's picture

Mcbride is from Chicago but I get what you mean.