Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

CBJ Trade Umberger, 4th round pick to Philly for Scott Hartnell

TheBadOwl's picture
June 23, 2014 at 2:01pm
33 Comments

I like this deal for the Jackets, both are about the same age, about the same cap hit, but Hartnell fits out system well, and is experienced, gritty, and can score. Plus he'll be around to teach Jenner and Johansen.

I'll miss Umby, he's a Buckeye and I'll always cheer for him, he just doesn't really fit the current CBJ squad.

Thoughts?

BUCKfutter's picture

robbery by the cbj. unbelievable move. what is philly thinking? usually when a player asks for a trade it takes all the leverage away from his team. this deal is at least an even swap, and i'd argue even favors columbus. kudos to management

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+6 HS
kgratz's picture

Agree completely we just pulled a highway robbery.  Umby, you have to love him but he's fading quickly.  Hartnell is a grinder, fits the system, and can provide scoring with Johanson and Jenner.

How Firm Thy Friendship

KeithMC33's picture

A buddy of mine recently moved to Philly for work and he said that the Flyers and their fans are considering this a win because they were able to dump Hartnell's salary. I love the NHL but i have to admit i am not familiar with all the salary cap rules and such, but i guess you are limited in how many contract buyouts you can do in one off-season? Apparently they were trying to buy Hartnell out but couldn't come to an agreement and they chose to buy out another player. 

Either way, i love this trade for CBJ and cannot wait for the season to start back up again!!!

TheBadOwl's picture

Umberger and Hartnell basically have the same cap hit, except Hartnell's contract is three years longer. Short-term, this is a huge win for the Jackets, although it'll probably even out in the long run.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Mizzillion's picture

Utter thievery. Wow, Philly fan must be salty.

OSUStu's picture

Ugh.  The last thing I want is Hartnell's douchiness invading my fair city.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

TheBadOwl's picture

He definitely gets into some trouble on the ice, but he's been great for Philly's community, and he's a great leader.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

I don't really make any assumptions about him as a person but I have just seen him pull too much BS on the ice for me to like him.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

HattanBuck85's picture

I am in the minority here: I hate this trade. Hartnell is 32 and is in the decline. He makes more money ($4.75 million) and has 5 years left in the deal.

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

-3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Umberger is 15 days older than Hartnell, and has a $4,600,000 cap hit. Hartnell's cap hit is $4,750,000. Negligible difference there. I agree that the last few years of that deal might be a bit scary, but we've seen plenty of players stay productive into their mid 30's before in the NHL. Worst case, he'll be an overpaid 4th-liner by the end of his deal, or we'll buy him out or something.

RedStorm45's picture

Umberger is 32 and on the decline, for $4.6 million a year cap hit and wanted out.  This is better than buying him out straight up, or even trading him while retaining some of his salary.  It's obvious over the last 3 years he's lost a step.

HattanBuck85's picture

Do you really believe the Jackets will pay Hartnell $4.75m four years from now when he is producing 5 goals a year? No- they are going to buy him out. 

The Jackets should have traded Umberger for a pick to save money OR buy him out. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

-3 HS
RedStorm45's picture

His actual salary drops off in the last few years of his contract while his cap hit stays the same.

Umberger took out a bunch of leverage by requesting out.  If you look at possession and Corsi stats, Hartnell is much better than Umberger.

+1 HS
buck i's picture

Good to see the Jackets are continuing to trade only with the Kings, Rangers, and Flyers.

RedStorm45's picture

Edmonton, Calgary, and Tampa Bay in the last 15 months as well.

Rjpfish2's picture

Great move Jarmo! Much better fit that the Gaborik Experiment.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

If only Gaborik could have worked out; he was one hell of a goal scorer this postseason.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Rjpfish2's picture

I really wanted it to... Who knows how healthy he really was in C-Bus. He just looked like he was going through the motions at times. 

Seattle Linga's picture

So young and so talented - the future is so bright!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

BS.  Bad call CBJ.  No upside to this.

Go Bucks!

-3 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Is that why this is being applauded by hockey analysts almost everywhere?

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Can you say lemming?

Go Bucks!

RedStorm45's picture

Yeah, I mean I guess the Philly media guys that are scratching their heads are just making it all up and going with the crowd.  Same with the local media outlets.  Same with the national media outlets.

CBJ lose a 4th rounder (and often those don't turn into anything anyway) and an aging 3rd liner who has declined and wanted out.  They add a guy for basically the same cap hit (and same age) who instantly moves into the top 6 and fits their style.  Whenever a guy requests out, it becomes very hard to get a reasonable deal for him.  Jarmo is a wizard for moving Umberger and getting a top 6 player in return.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Umby had a no trade clause and wanted to be here, but the coach started to screw with him and his playing time, so I don't blame him for waiving the clause and agreeing to go. We had to give the 4th rounder because we initiated the trade, too bad.    Still stupid IMO, but it no longer matters. And I have no respect for much of the media, because many of them are lemmings.

Go Bucks!

TheBadOwl's picture

On the flip side, Hartnell waived his NTC to come here.

Umby was one of my favorites, and it's sad to see a Buckeye leave, but he didn't quite fit anymore. This gives Foligno a change to get onto the top line, and now Jenner can move down and play center. I really like this deal for the Jackets.

+1 HS
shortbus20's picture

I like him for one reason.  Hartnell drives the Penguin fans and Crosby crazy. He is a very good agitator.

• shortbus20
+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

You do have that right ShortBus.  It was that much easier to hate him because he played in Philly as well.

+1 HS
James F's picture

I don't see how this isn't a great move for the CBJ.  Hartnell may be on the decline, but he is a legitimate NHL player.  RJ was getting healthy scratches at the end of last season, and looks totally washed up.  Their salaries are within 150k of each other but Hartnell's contract is 2 years longer.  I don't mind the extra years because the NHL salary  cap is going to go up a substantial  amount between now and 2018, and even if Harnell has declined to the point of being a 3rd/4th liner, his salary won't be as much of an albatross if the cap goes up over $75 million in  the next few years, which most expect it to.  RJ's current pay is already an albatross.  Hate to see a Buckeye leave Columbus, but this deal is a win for the CBJ.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I agree completely, but I will miss Umby's hustle. This is one of my favorite sports memories.

RedStorm45's picture

This.

Not to mention since he requested out, he took away some leverage for the CBJ.  There's no way they wanted a split locker room, and a buyout was very much on the table.  Superb job by Jarmo.

+1 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

This team is becoming so balanced now! The future is brighter than ever. As much as I miss Nasher, I have to think it was a necessary move for the franchise to grow. I just wonder if he would've stayed in town if he knew we were shit-canning Howson...

KBonay's picture

AS long as current CBJ players stay away from Lisa Renneke, all should work out fine....

RedStorm45's picture

CBJ pick up a 5th round pick (their own in the Nick Schultz trade) from Edmonton in exchange for the Oilers signing Nikitin.  He got a ridiculous 2 year/$9 million deal hahaha GOOD JOB HOWSON