Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

NHL Playoffs

BrewstersMillions's picture
May 30, 2014 at 11:47pm
56 Comments

Hockey talk has sort of died down after Columbus' exit from the playoffs (understandably so) but this LA\Chicago series has turned into a real dandy. Hope some of the hockey fans out there got to enjoy tonight's game. Clearly I'm happy with the outcome but this is just one hell of a playoff series. Patrick Kane and Drew Doughty are other worldly right now.

Game 7 in the Madhouse!!!!

Seattle Linga's picture

I will be glued to NBCSN come face off. I have no horse in the game but I love the NHL and especially the playoffs - hopefully the game will go into OT. The build up is unbelievable.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Man, I thought the Kings/Ducks was a series. But this one is phenomenal, deserving of 7 games. Crazy stat from game 5. First ot was played in 26 minutes of REAL time. A 20 minute period played in 26 minutes. That's crazy, non-stop action. Unreal. 

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

I don't think there are many commercial breaks taken either during OT.

BucksFan2000's picture

Hockey playoffs would be more enjoyable if I could mute Pierre McGuire.

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

He's no Doc.  Pictured here posing with my bro earlier this week when the Pirates were in NY playing the Mets.  He stopped to hang with my bro and pic up a Pirates camo hat/jersey.

+4 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

Doc I like.  Cool pic.

NBC knows most fans don't care for Pierre, and ESPN knows how we feel about Mowins.  Why do they keep at it?  It should be considered a form of terrorism.

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Thanks man. 
I'm not sure.  Maybe it's because they can't find anyone else that will go stand that close to the ice in that tiny box and do the broadcast?  NBCS did a pretty good job of getting play-by-play for the playoffs.  They hired Ken Kal (voice of the Red Wings) for the beginning rounds.  Although the Brain Hayward (annoying voice of the Ducks) was questionable for the first round.

toledobuckeyefanjim's picture

That was Ken Daniels from the Red Wings, not Ken Kal.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Yes, you are correct.  Late night posting never pays off. Not to sell either short, those are an amazing pair of 'Ken's'.

Baroclinicity's picture

He is simply the best in play by play in sports.  Great picture.  SVP was talking about calling play by play the other day and he said that when he was doing it for golf, it was like stealing money.  Very easy.  He then commented "have you heard what Doc Emrick does?"

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Great photo and one that should be huge in the Man-Cave but it honestly looks like he digging for a ball-sack re-arrangement. 

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Nothing better than Game 7 in NHL playoffs.

+2 HS

Jealous. More  jealous that Emrick hasn't called a single Hawks playoff game.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I wondered about that as well.  The best I can figure is that he doesn't do any west coast series?

Baroclinicity's picture

I thought the Kings had this, but game 7 in Chicago...don't know so much anymore.  Either way, the Rangers have no chance.  Can't believe that's the team out of the east...

RedStorm45's picture

The only thing is if it is somehow LA, they will have played 21 games, so there will be a fatigue factor.

I've never doubted the Hawks at any point this post season before this series. The St. Louis thing was weird because the Hawks had them dead to rights twice, it was a matter of time before talent won out. Minnesota played really hard at home but couldn't crack the Hawks at the UC so even when that one was tied, I wasn't alarmed. After game 1 on this series, I thought the Hawks would stomp a mudhole in LA but my god are they a talented bunch of players. The youth that doomed them last year is particularly effective this year and Drew Doughty is.....I don't even have the words. This is really a great series between the two teams in the west that are poised for a lot of these types of series'. I was worried after game 5 because the Hawks needed every bit of everything they had to beat LA at home-who just kept coming. Game 6 had that feel to it as well. Hawks took a second period lead and were poised to blow it wide open but there LA was again.

What worries me is that we haven't seen Jonathan Quick's best game and there's only one more chance for it. He has been pretty lousy with rebounds this series but the Hawks haven't hammered him. What he has done is come up with massive stops on what should have been put away goals. He stoned Seabrook, Sharp, Toews, and Krueger in 4 different games when the Hawks had 1 or 2 goal leads. I worry he has that one three period game loaded in him where the Hawks can't break him.

With that said, Crawford has been dynamic these last two games. First goal was a defensive breakdown but when LA is coming at Chicago in flurries, he is stepping up huge-the last 30 seconds of last nights game he came up big. He hasn't played his best yet either so if Quick does get it all together, Crawford better as well.

All told, this isn't about quiet players needing to step up. Kane and Saad have been the Hawks best, Carter and Doughty have been the Kings best. Sharp has been quiet, Kopitar and Toews have washed each other out. Sunday is about stars and both teams are loaded with them. One game, on the road against the champs after having them dead to rights 2 games in a row has to weigh on the Kings but they aren't a rookie team. They've been there and done that just as much as Chicago. This is going to be an epic game but if LA can't find away to slow the Kane\Saad\Shaw line-who have been unstoppable the last two games, its going to be an original 6 matchup.

As echoed already-either way....poor New York. There is a freight train coming their way in either Black and Silver or Red and Black.

Seattle Linga's picture

Don't know if anyone is watching but this Game 7 in Chi-town is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 goals so far in the 1st period alone

+2 HS

Fans deserved a game 7....we didn't need nor can stomach OT....

OSUStu's picture

One hell of a game 7. I had a feeling the Kings were ready after they came back against San Jose, but the Hawks sure gave them a fight.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

well struck Kings. Great game, great series. Better not let it go to waste. Hoist Lord Stanleys.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I thought for sure it would go the Hawks way after that bizarre Sharp goal.  

The Kings kind of reminds me of the Devils back in the 90s and into the first part of the 2000s:  Often overlooked (not one person mentioned the Kings for the finals) and extremely dangerous.  

Seattle Linga's picture

The two largest markets are about to battle it out for the cup. This can only be good for the NHL

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Meh, L.A. fans are terrible.  If it's not the Lakers, it's not that big of a deal to them.

Chicago's numbers were insanely higher than either LA for Game 7 or New York for game 6. The markets are bigger on the coasts but the following in Chicago is cult like.

-1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

I think the Heat/Pacers (or some other NBA playoff game) had much higher TV ratings in L.A. on the same night as a Kings game - and the NBA game wasn't the Clippers.  For some reason, Memphis is sticking out in my mind, but I forget the actual game now.

The crowd last night was horrendous.  They are seriously the Miami Heat fanbase of the NHL.  It sounded like a cross between a pre-season and a regular season game in almost any other barn in the league.  I mean, I get the 5:30 start is terrible, but at least make some noise when you do show up.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Sorry Brewster.  Being a Wings fan, I know the pain....
That said, WOW.  What a series concluded with an OT #7.  And those Kings just never gave up.  Down early, down late.  Fought off the 5-3.  I've always liked them (Being in Scal, it's either them or the Ducks....I F*ing hate the Ducks) but starting to become a fan (insert bandwagon joke here!)

Just hope we see the same speed and skill in the finals.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

How awesome would it be to see a game 7 OT thriller?

Has that ever happened?

I mean, it sucks because my team didn't win but I can't help but appreciate the entire flow of that game. Hawks roll early, LA Battles back, Chicago keeps answering, LA does the same. Chicago lacked the put away goal all series but both teams showed a ton of resiliency. This isn't the case of an inferior team getting lucky or something, this is the case of two insanely good teams playing a sport where someone has to be the loser. Hawks will be back each and every season, so that's where the sting lessens for me. Obviously I'd love for them to keep playing but that series was just too good. I really think this can start a great rivalry between these two. If LA wins the cup, you'll have back to back seasons where LA and Chicago went through each other to win it all-that's the foundation for some rivalry stuff right there. I'm too impressed with guys like Doughty, Carter, and Muzzin to be mad-Fitting that Marian Gaborik, a player I lambasted last year when the Jacks got him, played such a huge role in this series....

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Well put.  Great for hockey & the fans.  I've been watching for many years, and that was probably one of the top series I have watched. Ever.  And that was on the heals of the Kings v Ducks series that was almost just as good.  The shift in hockey (since the salary cap) has been phenomenal.  More parity leads to a better product. 
I think I mentioned to you before, the addition of Bowman heading to Chi-town was around the time the Hawks started moving in the right direction (drafting Kane & Toews helps too!). Can't help but think that guys hockey IQ is unmatched in this day and age.

ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

The Western Conference Finals series was one for the books... such a high-level of play from all that anyone who watched even 7 seconds of it while flipping through the channels would have seen how fun hockey can be.

Thankfully, I am rested along with my Rangers to hopefully see an encore of great hockey in the finals.

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

RedStorm45's picture

If Quick can play remotely close to 2012-Quick...watch out.  But he's just been average this playoffs.

Think about this - the Kings beat San Jose, Anaheim, and Chicago en route to the SCF.  Three great teams, and all likely would have been the 1 or 2 seed in the East.  The Rangers beat Philly (Mason), a floundering Pittsburgh (Fleury), and Montreal (a rookie 2nd/3rd string goalie in Tokarski).  The West is just so much better than the East...but one player can steal a series in hockey, and Lundqvist might be good enough to do it for NY.

It's ridiculous to see the top 6 in the West when the playoffs started and compare that to the top 6 in the East.

Also, can Columbus get like 1/4 of that Cup?

-1 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

I might have to change my pick from the Rangers to the Kings for this series.  Even when down 2-0 early, they have the resolve to climb back to tie it and eventually win it in OT in game 1.  They have showed it throughout the playoffs that they can climb out of any hole they are in.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

RedStorm45's picture

The West is so much better than the East - I'm not sure why you picked the Rangers in the first place.  L.A. beat San Jose, Anaheim, and Chicago.  All three are better teams than anybody NY has faced in the playoffs.

Lundqvist has really played well this postseason, better than Quick.  The resilience of the Kings though may be too much.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

That's true, but I don't think Lundqvist has 4 spectacular games in him against L.A.  He may have used one last night, and still lost.  To ask him to save 40+ shots a night isn't going to cut it.  And if the Rangers continue their horrendous puck possession for a few more games, it will be over.

Crumb's picture

That was a sweet way to start the Stanley Cup Final, it's probably too much to hope it's as good as the Western Conference Finals but, here's hoping.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

I don't understand how you can't enjoy watching hockey, especially playoff hockey.  These first two games of the Final have been nuts.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

How was your half marathon Illy?

KBonay's picture

Hoping NYR can win one game back east.  I am going to game 5 and would like to check 'skating the Cup' off my bucket list. 

RedStorm45's picture

Wow....that sucks.  Looks like the Kings may sweep.

KBonay's picture

Hard to win 4 in a row.  I suspect the Rangers have one in them.  Other than Game 3, they have played as well or better than the Kings at points.  Or maybe it's just my selfish desire, but I want this to end in 5!

RedStorm45's picture

Even though I want the Kings to win, I will be pulling for a Rangers W tonight for ya!

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

The luckiest win I've ever seen.

Seattle Linga's picture

I understand what you're saying there 45 but I actually think it was a very gritty victory for the Rangers and extremely well deserved. Most of the 3rd period was played in their defensive third.

RedStorm45's picture

Crossbar and two pucks that literally stopped on the goal line.  If the ice was cleared it's a 3-2 kings win.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

THAT.WAS.NUTS
For how many years have I watched Goalies 'snow-up' their crease & that is the very first time I have ever seen it actually stop a puck from going in. 
Hopefully I will have pics of Kings skating the Cup after game 5.  Find out in AM if my tickets come through.

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Stepan pretty clearly "covered the puck" on the 2nd one, but it was beneath a pile of bodies so the refs couldn't award a penalty shot.  Rangers got outshot 15-1 in the 3rd.  Crazy.

Seattle Linga's picture

I still am believing for this to go to a game 7 double OT thriller 

Seattle Linga's picture

Game 5 under 5 minutes to play - this is a great game

Just in case some of you don't get the CBC Network. Don Cherry is wearing this jacket tonight. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Congratulations L.A. well deserved - clearly the better team in the series. Hard to believe they survived the first round. Probably the best 5 game S.C. series I have every seen.

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

Heck of a season, now the Buckeye off season becomes even more painful since all I have for comfort now is *sigh* the Reds...

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

KBonay's picture

Awesome.  All I can say.  What an experience to see a 'Cup Game'

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

K - was that you at the game - that's AWESOME! Got a chance to experience the On-Ice skate around hoisting the cup experience when we won back to back championships in the 90's 

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Yep. Got 2 tix from my 'guy'.  Not the best seats, but beggars can't be choosers.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nicely done - an experience that will last a lifetime. That was money well spent.

+1 HS