Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

11W Group for World Cup Bracket Game

jeremytwoface's picture
May 27, 2014 at 9:26am
38 Comments

For all of you soccer fans out there, I have created a group on ESPN for their World Cup Bracket Predictor.

Here's the link.

Good luck!!

BucksfanXC's picture

Count me in, going to register now. Thanks!

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I'm in, but quick question: how do you change teams if you want to back out of a pick that was made? There's no button for that and you can't just click on another country's name.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I've found that you just have to click and drag it to replace a team... it's a little different from the NCAA tournament because of the groups. 

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Thanks JTF. I was dragging too but apparently you need to drag to the spot you would have them winning within that group. 

jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah it can get a little confusing.

Just remember that the team you want to win the group goes into the top spot directly to the right of that group. The #2 team goes in the bottom spot on the OPPOSITE side of the bracket.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I picked USA to win it all. I doubt it will happen but I can have fun with it. I do think Germany upsets Brazil. I think whoever wins that one will probably win it all.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I can definitely see Germany beating Brazil in the semis. That would be a fun game to watch....

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Ya know we can beat Ghana and that alone would make me happy. If we beat Ghana by 3 goals, then play Portugal well (they live and die by Ronaldo and they have spotty World Cup showings), we could go into the German game with Germany already having 6pts and a locked in spot so we could be set up to go through. That would be a small miracle and would be huge.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

Unky Buck's picture

The best thing that could happen for the US team is for Germany to be 3-0 in Group Play. If we can somehow contain Ronaldo (which Atletico did for 95% of the match on Saturday), we have a chance to take Portugal. It's going to be an uphill battle, though, as that's clearly not an easy task.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah and Atletico has a much better back line than the US... Hopefully we can beat Portugal... The most important game for me is the first one though. If we beat Ghana and score as many goals as we can for goal differential, I'll be a little happier.

Then if they could somehow beat Team Ronaldo, they could go into the German game knowing they will get through.

+1 HS
William's picture

I don't think Germany beating Brazil is really an upset. Germany is simply the better squad in my mind. I've got Belgium beating Germany in the final, going with my dark horse team.  

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I like Belgium too but I just couldn't bring myself to getting them that far. I do have Argentina over Germany in the championship game so we are on the same page with Germany at least.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Belgium's roster is stacked... They just don't have much World Cup experience.... It's hard to put them very far. Especially considering they will most likely play Germany, Portugal or the US in the first round of the knock out stage.

William's picture

Some of Belgium's selections: 

Goalies: Courtois, Mignolet
Defense: Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Kompany, Vermaelen, Van Buyten
Midfield: Dembele, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Januzaj, Hazard, Mirallas, Witsel
Forwards: Lukaku, Mertens and Origi

I don't what the Hell changed with Belgium, but that squad is vastly superior to anything that country has ever produced. Even without Benteke that squad is absolutely dangerous. They'll either fold under the pressure of being Belgium's greatest generation of players, or they'll play lights out because they don't know any better. 

+1 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Oh wow i hadn't realized Januzaj was from Belgium. They definitely have a nice roster, but they will really need Fellaini to step his game up in order for them to make a deep run. No doubt they have the talent, but he will probably play a defensive central midfield role and he really struggled in that role with Man U this season. As an Arsenal fan, i didn't mind that one bit! haha 

ranking wise you are absolutely correct, Germany is a better team.

but, Brazil is considered a heavy favorite in their home. It would be an upset if they both met in the semis and they beat them.

either way, I think its a Brazil/Germany world cup. I just don't see Spain pulling it off despite their ranking. I don't see Messi getting enough help and I don't see any of the upstarts making the "full" run to the championship. I do see France ruining someones dreams to get out of the group play. I also see Belgium going far, just not sure if they can get past a USA/Portugal, Argentina, Spain lineup once they get out of the groups.

the only hope I have for US is that at least they won't have to play Germany, Spain or Brazil until the semis if they get out of the groups. I know its the group of death but outside of Germany, I don't see a lockdown lose until the semis. I think the worst groups are A and B, because you know even if you make it out of groups, you are facing either Brazil or Spain.

DJ Byrnes's picture

Brazil would be a lot more intimidating to me if they had Diego Costa up front.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

William's picture

I think Brazil's roster is massively overrated. Yes they won the Confederations Cup last year, and yes they have a lot of dynamic talent, but to win a World Cup you need a team with balls, and the Brazilians simply don't have any. Although I'll admit that I absolutely loathe teams that dive, and while you can point to the Italians winning the World Cup in 2006, that team also had guys like de Rossi and Gattuso, who had no problems putting their spikes in a dude, or playing a physical game. 

looks like no one will have Diego Costa up front. Two weeks before the WC and he tears a hammy, ouch! That hurts Spain a lot.

DJ Byrnes's picture

Pained me, but I went with Germany over Belgium. They're my second squad behind UMSNT, but without BENTEKE leading the charge... they fall to the Germans.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Sturdy Son of Ohio's picture

I'm in as well.  Germany looks like my favorite, edging out the home squad.

jmoore3309's picture

History does not favor the European Sides in a South American Cup.  I believe you have to favor the hosts and Argentina.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Very nice! I will be sure to sign up today.

I have to agree with William, Belgium is going to do very well this year and i wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them win it all. I sure hope the USA can get out of the first round, that will be huge for us!

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

I submitted my losing bracket. Good Luck Gentlemen.

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I'm in.  Remarkably, if the US can get out of the group, their second round match should be easier than any of the group games.  I've got them beating surprise group H winner S. Korea in the second round before going down to Argentina in the Quarterfinals.  Not sure they're the "best" team this year, but it is pretty close to impossible to pick against BRAZIL AT HOME as the 2014 World Cup Champion.

+1 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

It's hard for me to say this, but the chances of the US making the bracket are very slim. They got a brutal group placement this year.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

LOL.  I think you got Buckeyes on the brain, as do most of us, but you're right the US will have a hard time getting out of the group.  I don't put too much stock in FIFA rankings, but it's worth noting that the total group ranking for group G is 45 whereas the next closest group, D, comes in at 57.

+1 HS

Lol thanks for the heads up. And yes, that is definitely a scary stat right there.

+1 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

I got Spain Vs Us in the final with Spain taking it. 

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Germany wins it all, due to their secret weapon!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
I imagine this to be somewhat like what Brady Hokes laptop background is

Mouse over the picture for a good laugh

+1 HS
GuGo61's picture

I think Europe finally wins a WC in S. America.  I have Brazil losing to their colonial masters in one semi, and Germany beating Spain in the other.  Cristiano Ronaldo then puts on his Superman outfit to lead Portugal over Germany.  So a Group G rematch.  Team USA royally screwed by it's group placement.

+1 HS
BHT's picture

Thank you. May the best bracket win.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Im in and rolling with USA at 100 to1  odds. Other teams I think have a legit shot are Argentina,Portugal,Brazil,Spain. Fuck a bunch of Germans.=)~

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Bolt's picture

Germany over Argentina in the final. Final answer.

Seattle Linga's picture

Love the World Cup - can't wait to watch the deuce operate on the big stage.

dubjayfootball90's picture

Watch out for Colombia!!! Colombians on the rise after the debacle in the 90's

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

Groveport Heisman's picture

True...When their not busy making top end cocaine or writing ransom notes the Colombians are pretty underrated when it comes to Futbol.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.