Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture
May 9, 2014 at 8:16am
85 Comments

Also know as Johnny football. How does everyone feel about this pick after sobering up? Originally I stated he would have been a grand slam pick at 26 while some of our younger posters confessed their love for him to be picked 4th. Still think the Browns scored a bases clearing triple in the first round. This is "Boom" or "Bust' in the big leagues without putting the future of your franchise on the line. I honestly think the young man will do OK for himself in Cleveland and like athletic QB's in a JT system will help mask the holes in the Bollman Oline. What say thou?

osubuck57's picture

Passing on Watkins at #4 hurt, but they got a few picks for him and drafted Gilbert, who I was good with. Johnny Foozball, I didn't get at all. I get that he won in college, but that doesn't necessarily mean his game will translate well in the pros, and they gave up a 3rd round pick to move up 4 spots to get him. Was hoping we would stay pat and draft Kelvin Benjamin at #26.

SCOTTC.

+3 HS
ITWASME's picture

That's literally exactly what I wanted glad to see I'm not the only one

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

The draft is loaded with WR and with the addition of Burleson and Hawkin,s WR at 4 or 26 is not really the need. If Gilbert lives up to potential the secondary is locked down. Manziel has talent, will it translate? Who knows, but he fits Shannahan's scheme. They can pick up solid WR or top RB at 35 and I have the feeling the Browns will try and trade up. The Browns lost a 3rd Rd but they will get more than likely get a top 10 pick in buffalo so they could afford to lose it.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+4 HS
SavannahBuck's picture

Everyone keeps saying he won in college. What did he win? He won a Heisman, but he didnt win the SEC, he won against Alabama once. Aside from that game, he beat a bunch of bad teams.

-2 HS
BuckWylde's picture

Yeah, there's just TONS of bad teams in the SEC . . . (SMH)

BuckWylde

+5 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

His team beat all of five teams that were ranked at the time they played the last two years.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
SavannahBuck's picture

Ole Miss twice, Arkansas twice, MIss St twice, Vanderbuilt, 2012 Auburn, 2012 Missouri. Yeah, that murders row. Throw in Rice, Sam Houston State twice, UTEP, SMU twice, Louisiana Tech, and South Carolina State. Whew!!!! It's a wonder they won any games at all.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Texas A&M didn't win a national championship during Johnny's time there, but it wasn't because of their offense....the defense sucked.  Something he can't control.

+1 HS
SavannahBuck's picture

Winners win....Just sayin'

-2 HS
nrbuckguy's picture

Just curious, do you consider Braxton a loser then? Because his teams really haven't won any major awards while he was here either.

In Urban We Trust

+4 HS
SavannahBuck's picture

More or less. He's extremely fun to watch, like Manziel, but you're right, he hasn't won anything. The difference is Braxton isn't out in the spotlight saying" look at me, I'm Johnny Fing Football! I'm the greatest!". But they are very similar in terms of not winning anything that really matters.

-3 HS
danbrown7665's picture

honestly, Cleveland made a big mistake by not taking Watkins. Remember the last time they passed on a can't miss wide out? they got Brandon weeden a year later. I just feel like if there is an elite prospect on the board, you take him.

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

+8 HS
BROSEPH's picture

They didn't hit on the picks they got which hurts, but they aren't kicking themselves over Julio Jones.  He's a good player, but it's not like they missed out on Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, or even an AJ Green.

+2 HS

I honestly thought passing on a WR at 4 and picking up a extra 1st rounder was great while having the #8 pick still. I do have concerns with Gilbert and think they screwed the pooch with that one. Just the excitement Johnny will bring might be worth a late round first alone. The microscope is on and we will all focus in accordingly.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I am torn.  Torn because I've thought all long that Manziel would never be a good pro QB.  Now I hope I'm wrong.  Looking back on it, the Browns had a fantastic first day.  The got the consensus best QB and CB in the draft.  Not only did they draft best available players, they drafted positions of need.  Maybe they got a bit overambitious with the trading to move around, but in the end, if they believe these guys can be solid contributors or potential stars, then its worth the risk.  

Read my entire screen name....

RedStorm45's picture

Wrong, there was no consensus on either position.  A lot of good DBs, but I heard various analysts that had different corners as their "top" guy.  Many also rated Bortles ahead of Manziel.

+1 HS

Agree to disagree.  This is all a paper argument anyway.  From what I've seen and read, I stand by what I said - the Browns got the best QB and CB in the draft.  Time will tell.

+1 HS
BuckWylde's picture

Preach and teach, while the doubters screech . . . The Browns just got relavent!

BuckWylde

+1 HS

Consensus best QB? Seriously? I spoke out about Gilbert having the slowest 3-cone and short shuttle drills out of every CB at the combine.But now you honestly want to name Johnny the consensus best QB when one was drafted with the 3rd overall pick?

-1 HS

Yes.  That is what I said.  Just because ONE team liked ONE qb better still doesn't refute what I said.  Despite varying preferences by all the experts, the GENERAL CONSENSUS OF OPINION was that both Manziel and Gilbert were the best QB and CB in the draft.  

-1 HS

Well you Sir have a different opinion of "consensus" then the entire Universe and for that we commend you.

-1 HS

No. I just understand the multiple uses of the word unlike you and apparently the rest of ghe world.

Try looking it up in the Merriam Webster dictionary and you will find that consensus can mean what you are ASSUMING I am saying, or it can mean what I am actually saying - consensus of general opinion, not quite synonymous with majority. 

-1 HS

Nobody even on this board agreed that he was the "consensus" best QB in the draft. If by consensus you meant in "your" mind then yes I  apologize. Otherwise fall back accordingly.

-1 HS
faux_maestro's picture

Tim Couch

Brandon Weedon

Johnny Manziel

AIR-RAID QB's drafted by Cleveland. 

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+5 HS

I am not a fan of rating someone before they play a down in the NFL..... What is missed is that Manziel has greater talent than both Weedon and Couch.

-1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Tim Couch would've been a quality QB had he not been drafted by an expansion team. Pretty much a death sentence for anyone. (See: Carr, David)

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

gumtape's picture

Would Bill O'Brien have the stones to draft Derek Carr?

I am looking forward to seeing Shazier vs. Manziel twice a year.

Manziel is Mike Vick, exciting and capable, but can he stay healthy and win big games?

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+1 HS

I think Derek Carr is the best QB in the draft. We all have a opinion and only time will tell but I do think Bill would be bright to take a chance on the younger Carr. One of the funniest questions I heard during the combine was a scout ask the younger Carr how he felt about older brother Davids OLine while at the Texans. He told the scout with a straight face they were all great. After a quick moment of silence both men started laughing their asses off and the scout said "they sucked balls"

+1 HS

Colt McCoy was also a borderline air-raid QB.

Baroclinicity's picture

At the very worst, we're back on the football map for a little while.  I think he can be good... we'll just have to wait and see.

Someone school me on Gilbert.  Have no idea if that was a good pick or not.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+2 HS
Kindell's picture

Gilbert is an athletic freak.  He climbed up the boards because he is over 6 feet tall and he ran a 4.37 at the combine.  His tackling is his biggest weakness, but he has a lot of potential in coverage.  He was a little bit of a reach at 8, but they got the number one corner on the board and it was a position of need.

+4 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Thanks for that.

SilverBullet33's picture

So he's basically Deion Sanders?  Fast but kinda soft.  That ended well for him fingers crossed it works out.

logamaniac's picture

Best cover corner in the draft according to nfl.com

Kindell's picture

Farmer had the best draft of any GM and it's not even close if you ask me.  I know everyone has concerns about Gilbert, but this kid has all the tools to be a very good CB.  The biggest knock on him is that he struggles in run support, well I believe Joe Haden and a guy by the name of Donte Whitner can help him there.  Also, the defense they play will put him in coverage more than it will have him up sealing the edge.  Gilbert was not the only thing they received with their first pick.  They also added a first pick next year that will give them all kinds of options.  Next years draft is going to be all about the QB's and teams are going to be willing to trade, the Browns now have two first round picks to play with.

Whether you dislike JFF or not, I think it's hard to argue the value of that pick.  He brings an excitement to the Browns and a chance for a futre that the fans deserve.  I would like to see the Browns either add another playmaker today in th e 2nd, or I wouldn't mind them taking Cyrus Kouandjio.  He is still just 20 years old and could help the line now and eventually replace Joe Thomas at LT.   If they go WR, I would like to see them grab Cody Latimer over Lee.  That would give Manziel two top WR that are 6' 3" to utilize.

+1 HS
lamplighter's picture

curious - does exciement translate into wins?  Maybe more filled seats, but wins?  My take, given the Gordon mess, is that this draft is D+/C-

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I can't be the only one who mistakenly read your first question as "How does everyone feel about this prick...?", can I?

Italics are for emphasis.

+9 HS

Hah yea you got me. Good catch.

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

I'm feeling decidedly meh about the first day of the draft. I was fine trading back at four and I've been saying for weeks I didnt understand why Gilbert wasnt getting more cred as a top 10 pick. He's had a better college career than Milliner or Clayborne and they were both top 10 guys. But there is just no way I can be convinced that Manziel is a franchise QB. I feel like I would gladly trade Gilbert, Manziel and that extra #1 next year, for Watkins at 4, Dennard at 22, and Bridgewater at 32 like Minn did... but I digress. 

I hope we come out strong today and take Su'a Filo, with #35. In my mind he would be an o-line win on the scale of drafting Mack a couple years ago. The guy could be a future pro-bowler. 

Yes I know Lee is still on the board, but at this point I hope we just wait on a receiver and take a stud with one of our first rounders next year. Spend the rest of the draft shoring up all your other holes. O-line (Filo/Moses) at #35, ILB (Borland) or RB (Sankey/Hyde) in round three, ILB (Skov/Jones), RB (Seastrunk), or Safety in round 4. 

d5k's picture

The extra #1 is Buffalo's pick, which might be #1 overall so if Manziel goes on too many binges on Lake Erie party boats you can take Mariota/Winston next year with one of your 2 likely top 5-10 picks...  I think the Browns dominated the first round although I don't get what magical juju Rick Spielman has over the Browns.

+1 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Good God, I dont think Manziel will pan out, but saying "well if he doesnt make it we can just draft another QB next year!" makes me want to vomit. I hate it, but i hope they at least commit three years to the guy. No more first round QB reaches until at least 2017

Jabba the Hoke's picture

I actually think it would have been better for the Brown's to draft Manziel at #4. Then they would be tied to him for at least two seasons, as it stands he can be tossed aside with nothing lost.

d5k's picture

Yep, being a late 1st he is paid significantly less and his 5th year option is WAY lower for a QB.

osubuck57's picture

Hope we draft Martavis Bryant or Jordan Mathews in 2nd round today. I know we have Burleson, he's 32, and Hawkins plays the slot. We need a true #2. After that go OL, LB, or RB. Would be awfully hard to pass up El Guapo if he was there!! Gotta stop doing this to myself. lol

SCOTTC.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

I think the Browns thought Mike Evans would slide past Tampa, and Gilbert was plan B.  They have to get Lee tonight.

I'm ok with Gilbert, but think we might have paid too dearly after seeing Dennard and Roby last as long as they did.

If nothing else, the ownership is trying.  I guess they sold like 300 new season ticket packages immediately following the second pick.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS

They gave up a 5th Rd pick so nothing major. Gilbert was the highest rated CB of the group so they got the best evaluated player that they needed. I have no problem picking the best player available that fits your need, and we needed a CB opposite of Haden.

+2 HS
d5k's picture

That said, the board fell perfectly for the Bengals who got the #2 rated corner who was only slightly behind Gilbert at #24.  The Browns could not have predicted this as teams who needed corners went for other players (Pittsburgh going Shazier for example).

+1 HS
Alice in Aggieland's picture

If nothing else, the ownership is trying.  I guess they sold like 300 new season ticket packages immediately following the second pick.

The reactions of my friends in College Station ranged from "Oh, shit, we have to be Browns fans?!" to "I already ordered my Manziel jersey." Cleveland just managed to plant an orange flag in that very, very maroon town. Regardless of whether Manziel pans out at the next level, the next few seasons are going to be fun.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

So what QB are the Browns drafting in 2016?  I think Manziel is going to be a big bust in this league, not to mention Cleveland is a graveyard for QBs.  What does Manziel have that the other 2304328942309 QBs that failed in Cleveland don't?

Class of 2010.

Gordon, Cameron, a pretty solid RB in Tate (if he stays healthy).... They pick up another solid WR and RB, he will actually have more than any other QB has had to work with.

+4 HS
lamplighter's picture

or maybe NOT Gordon

Xenia_Buckeye's picture

And is it just me or does the dude look like this...

Johnny Football in profile

Him and Vince Young are mobile. Does that qualify  as a unique characteristic? I think he has a legit shot of being legit.

-1 HS
O-H-I-Owe-U's picture

They need Carlos in that backfield rocking the tear-away Greg Pruitt #34. 

+3 HS
GoBucksOSU's picture

My response, if he wins and makes the Browns good? Great. If he fails then we won't have to hear the Manziel love fest anymore. Also great.

+1 HS
cw823's picture

Here's the only problem I have with Manziel at 22.

22 - Philadelphia, 23 - Kansas City, 24 - Cincinnati, 25 - San Diego

Which one of those was going to take Manziel?  Why in God's name did we trade up to 22?

-2 HS
Danify's picture

Reports had the Vikings were talking to teams, including the Eagles to trade up for Manziel.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Didn't Sal Palantonio say last night they figured they had to move in front of the Chiefs? Either way, a spare 3rd rounder to move up six slots to grab the guy you covet is but a pittance. 

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

*4 slots*

-1 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

And if you "covet" a player don't you take him at 4 or even 9? At 22 you are just lucky he fell past the Cowboys at 16....

+1 HS

It's all risk vs. reward analysis.  Why is it luck that a team that just restructured their starting QBs contract and had needs elsewhere didn't take him?

-1 HS
d5k's picture

Because they wanted the #1 CB in the draft and likely thought he (Gilbert) was way better than Bradley Roby who might not even be on the board if there is a run on corners (or Gilbert is way better than the next tier of corners after the first 4-5)?  Worst case was they don't get Manziel at 26/trade up and they take a QB in round 2 like Carr/Mettenberger/Garapollo.  

Xenia_Buckeye's picture

Agreed. However, I'm thinking they were afraid someone would trade up before #26 to get hime. maybe the Texans coming back up into the first round...?

And I think this could have been the case with Gilbert as well.  Just my opinion.....

d5k's picture

If someone had moved above the 8/9 slot for Gilbert then that means an Evans/Matthews/Mack/Watkins had fallen all the way down.  At that point you just take the best player available I would hope or trade down again with a team that wants one of those guys.

I agree, but also what makes you so sure that another team would not trade up either.

jedkat's picture

Manziel is the new Sanchez 

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

-2 HS
vitaminB's picture

I would guess Browns fans would be satisfied to make it to two AFC championships.

Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

No need for Cleveland to draft a receiver so high. I love the picks, and there are still so e really good receivers available. We don't need a #1 receiver. Already have Gordon. A guy like Robinson would be the perfect #2.

" I'm a Buckeye "

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

How about Lee today at 35?

+1 HS

That would be awesome too. Those two are both great pickups at 35 as far as WRs go. There's a  kid who played his college ball in Columbus I wouldn't mind seeing in the Cleveland backfield...I think he wore #34...idk maybe you've heard if him...can't think of his name

" I'm a Buckeye "

Go1Bucks's picture

I still have hopes we get to trade Jonny 2 Bit for needed players or more late picks.  Either way, may he never play a down for Cleveland.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Lol wow... Browns fans, am I right?  

I'm going to go slightly out on a limb and say Manziel is the most coveted QB prospect the Browns have drafted since Couch.  It's probably close between him and Quinn.

-1 HS

I also wouldn't mind seeing Cleveland go O-line with 35 or D-line and pick up Nix. Defense would be sick next year. But O-line IMO is a need for sure wow it's great to have this kind of buzz in Cleveland again.... GO BROWNS!!

" I'm a Buckeye "

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Sua-Filo is still available who had a first round grade at OG.

Nice call Virgin.

BoBo16's picture

Working very close to the browns training facility in Berea there has been a ton of buzz today. I have not seen Cleveland Like this in a very very long time. Whether or not he is a HOF or not its great to see the city re energized like this. 

Eat, Sleep, and Breathe Buckeyes

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Johnny might be just what the Browns need.  At least they didn't go full retard and use the first pick on him.

+1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

I fear he's just another Big 12 QB. BEER WE GO BROWNIES!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Hovenaut's picture

I just want to post the word "polarizing". Fun to hear, funner to read.

Best - Manziel finds some of Drew Brees development secrets. Worst - He's another Tebow (but who can actually throw).

Me? I'm cautiously optimistic. My God, in the name of Otto Graham (RIP), the Browns are due for a decent quarterback.

While others question his mentally, emotional maturity, et al...I'm not yet convinced physically he can hold up on Sundays. He'll have to find some semblance of pocket presence to have a real shot in the NFL.

Either way, as some have already stated, he has people in Cleveland talking. Wouldn't mind at all seeing this work out.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

Barnsey69's picture

Not a Browns fan, but I do count many as friends, so for their sake I hope he works out. That being said, I agree with the Hov in that I am not optimistic he can take an NFL pounding, I could be wrong, but I don't think he got hit too much in college...that will change once he steps on the pro turf. He has some nice weapons at his disposal, but will have to remain upright to use them.

Also, I am assuming he will be an understudy to Hoyer? And that assumes Hoyer beats him out in camp...and that assumes Hoyer is returning this fall (fully healed)...

Anybody care to legitimize (or not) my assumptions? 

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

He's on the team, so give him the fan support, that is our obligation to any newcomer.  Cleveland meet Johnny Manziel, like it or not, he is here to stay.  For how long?  That is yet to be seen, but as I stated before, he is here so make the best of it, shut your pie holes, and get onboard or change teams to Pittsburgh like all those other traders did in the 70's.

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

+2 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Hey, buy low sell high.  I would buy the Browns right now and would sell the Steelers.  The Manziel thing is a good gamble.  If you are a Cleveland fan, I think you have to hope Hoyer stays healthy this year, so Manziel can watch and learn.  BTW,  I would have sold all of my Steelers stock a couple of years ago.

Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Manziel has huge upside --great instincts and agility.  He needs to do a lot of work, however, on his fundamentals and in the weight room.  He needs to sit the bench for a year to work on those things.