Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Stanley Cup

Crumb's picture
May 1, 2014 at 12:54am
49 Comments

Even though my two favorite teams are out of the chase for the Cup it still goes on and there were some good moments this evening. The L.A. Kings pulled the reverse sweep against the Sharks after being down 3 games to none and the Minnesota Wild pulled a huge upset against Colorado winning in the 7th game of the series and in OT. Still some good Hockey being played.

BrewstersMillions's picture

If I were a Sharks fan, I'd want Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau to be my pall bearers when I died. That way they could let me down one more time...

I like a rematch of last years Stanley Cup Final. Boston and Chicago are playing at a really high level. Still a lot of fun left to be had.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

+5 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

You're not kidding.  It wouldn't be spring time without the Sharks crapping the bed in the playoffs.  They remind me of the 90s Braves minus the World Series win.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

OSUStu's picture

It is really amazing how the Sharks, come playoff time, can always be counted on to fold like a wet paper bag.

I think the Kings may have found themselves again.  I will say it will be a Bruins/Kings final.  I think my Pens can get by the Rangers, but I don't like that Bruins match-up for anyone in the East.  Bruins take home the Cup.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I think it will be the Ducks coming out of the West.  Hiller's win in Dallas in relief may send them on a run.

William's picture

I was rooting for the Avalanche after the CBJ were eliminated, as they were the only team without a noted scumbag on their roster. One has to wonder if McClellan gets the axe after another disappointing run with the Sharks. With guys like Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Burns, Nieto, Vlasic (injured for some of the series) and Boyle, you should be able to finish any team in a series that you take a 3-0 lead in. 

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I agree... it's past time for McClellan to go.  And I've watched Marleau underachieve for the dozen plus years he's been playing.  I have a love-hate relationship with half the players you listed, including Thornton and Pavelski who also routinely disappear in the post season.  Couture is leaning that way.

But you are wrong with one thing:  the Avs have a scum bag.  Happens to be the coach.  Anytime Roy goes down, it's a good thing.

+1 HS
William's picture

Roy isn't a scumbag to me, he's just an asshole. Scumbags are guys like Raffi Torres, Matt Cooke, Dustin Brown, Milan Lucic, Dany Heatly (off ice), Corey Perry, etc. Guys that have a history of just trying to hurt people. 

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

You're both right, anytime Roy goes down it's a good thing and the guy is a colossal A-hole.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

I thought, with McClellan coming from the Wings organization, he would at least bring some class to San Jose. But the Sharks are still infamous for gooning it up once a game has been decided. And Thornton is the ringleader. I can't stand this organization & happy to see them choke once again. 

Just curious about your thoughts on Chicago's resident scumbag? They are a team that generally gets chippy when pushed but their belief in having 12 talented forwards and 6 skilled DMen doesn't leave room for a goon who adds little to the puck possession style. I'm not denying the voracity behind some of the Seabrook venom after his bad hit on Backes, but short of that I'm having a hard time finding a scumbag on Chicago's roster. And Minne....oh wait.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I know this will send you in a frezny, but you still gotta throw Kane in there, but the Buffalo cab driver incident is admittedly probably past the statue of limitations at this point. 

Well in fairness, I did assume that William was talking about on ice behavior. Patrick Kane's actions for several years were pretty ridiculous, especially the cab driver incident. I won't defend that at all. All accounts point to a maturity off the ice that has drastically improved his performance on the ice. There were some rumors flying around that the Hawks had him on a final warning\double secret probation status and were more than ready to move him for much less than his talent would demand. I don't doubt he still enjoys his evenings out, but he's grown up leaps and bounds. As far as off ice behavior goes, I can't dispute Kane's name being brought up because of the reputation he built for himself early on in his career but the good news is he's on the right path-or so it seems.

Truth be told, I'm not the world's biggest Kane fan. Don't get me wrong, he's a huge part of the team and an invaluable piece of the puzzle but I just don't have strong feelings about him. He's not in the top 5 of my 'favorite Hawks' list.

Say a bad word about Captain Serious and we have an issue.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I pretty much agree and have also heard that Kane's rep is on the mend.

William's picture

Don't worry, I love the way Toews plays hockey, simply one of the best players in the world. Good offensively, sound defensively, and he's an excellent possession player. If I were building a team from scratch, I'd take Toews or Kopitar over Crosby, they're more complete players. 

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Kopitar is hugely underrated, likely because he plays in L.A. IMO.

William's picture

Kopitar is probably the best two way player in the NHL. Good offensive numbers, shutdown defender, and his possession numbers are godly. 

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Kopitar is getting noticed. He is a Selke finalist and was fourth last year.

But I agree, he'd be a bigger name if he wasn't playing in L.A..

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

William's picture

Seabrook and Shaw, they play white trash hockey. I really can't stand Shaw, I've never seen a guy that gets away with so many elbows on the forecheck. 

See that's really just incorrect. Seabrook is getting pigeon holed as a dirty player but has received more hits like the one on Backes than he's received-most notably from current Jakets jackass James Wisniewski. Shaw is a scrapper and an agitatorbut I have a hard time believeing a guy with only 76 penalty minutes this year does what you say as much as you say he does it. White trash hockey implies Matt Cooke, Chris Neil, Dan Carcillo type stuff. I can't lump a top line D Man and a 20 goal scorer in the same group as those types of guys because what they do for their teams far exceeds what traditional bad guys do. Obviously its your opinion but other than the hit on Backes, Seabrook has never had the reputation as a dirty player. With his size, Seabrook is a physical presence but one of the biggest knocks on him is his willingness to sometimes play with Keith's finesse over what should be his brute strength. I'm all ears for another example of dirty play out of Seebs outside of a hit on one of the worst offenders in the NHL. Sidenote, Blues' fans mantra of 'Our captain can beat up your captain' (true story) looks hysterical. Their might not be a bigger nest of villany and filth than the Blues locker room.

-1 HS
William's picture

What? You can be a 20 goal scorer and still be a total shitbag, see: Milan Lucic. From watching Shaw's play the last two years he hits high all the time on the forecheck, and leads with his elbow. This year, in a game against Columbus, he elbowed Nikitin in the head twice on the same shift. Seabrook's hit on Backes was disgusting, but it wasn't the first time he went head-hunting, correct me if I'm wrong, but a few years ago he threw an elbow to the back of Steve Downie's head when Downie was on the Lightning. Wisniewski's boarding on Seabrook a few years ago was also disgusting, there's no denying that, and I have a lot of problems with Wisniewski's game, but I don't know how you can label him as a jackass, since he produces as a top line D-man, and as you would put it "far exceeds what traditional bad guys do." Don't get me started on the Blues, they're a dirty team, Backes took a run at MacKinnon this year, and Reaves, Jackman and Polak are goons.

It tends to be this way. You think a player is something so eveything he does adds to that opinion. Shaw doesn't land in the box often. For a guy as dirty as he is accused of being, you'd think he'd spend more than 76 minutes of an 82 game season behind the glass. Every player at one point is in the giving end of a dirty play-Marian Hossa put somone in the boards in 2010 and got a five minute for it. If there's a trend, like Cooke and Torres, then there is some truth to the theory but an aggressive forecheck isnt dirty. Elbows fly up a lot but Shaw isn't the type that aims to maim. In an era of awareness anout head shots, I find Shaw's lack of penalty minutes as a case against him as a dirty player. Refs miss calls a lot but for a guy who 'does it all of the time', he sure spends most of his game on the ice, not in the box. I think the bigger point is that you dont like Shaw, and that's fine because his style leads to that but unpopular doesn't equate to dirty.

William's picture

PIMs are highly subjective, refs miss plenty of calls on the ice or make bad ones, and Chicago is an Original Six franchise, a lot of calls go their way. I'll readily admit I don't like Shaw, but I also don't like the way he plays, which is dirty. 

Nah you lost me right there. Status as an original 6 affecting the refs? Come on man.

+1 HS
William's picture

Spoken like a true fan of an Original Six franchise.

Or....the Hawks play a clean style of hockey that doesn't land them in the sin bin...

RedStorm45's picture

Wiz hasn't really done anything in a CBJ uniform that bad - probably because he no longer has the speed to get to anybody to deliver a "questionable" blow.  Other than the worst suspension in NHL history, which was unwarranted, he hasn't done anything that I can recall since being in Columbus - and of course his suspension kicked off his CBJ career.

For the record, I'm not accusing Wiz of being dirty. Like Seabrook is seeing now, a reputation can be set by one hit despite a career of otherwise aggressive but legal play. Chicago will always remember Wiz not for his good years with the Hawks but for his bad hit while a Duck. I called him a jackass because he's a guy I don't want on my team. I think the 12th highest paid D man in the NHL needs to be more than a replacement level talent. Contracts like the one given to Wiz are bad for hockey organizations because it sets the bar on 'empty calories' and has a long term affect on the rosters on which they reside. He isn't a jackass because he makes too much money-that isn't his fault. He's a jackass because he isn't that good. So admittedly, the word selection was poor so shame on me.

RedStorm45's picture

Wiz finally played up to the contract - finished in the top 10 in the league in scoring among defensemen.  But he's just too injury prone and really quite average from the red line back.  Of course, Howson was handing out NTC's like they were candy a few years back, so he's likely stuck in Columbus for another three years.

CBJ went from very bad to very good in the front office in a very short period of time. I'd expect the exact same transition on the ice.

KBonay's picture

My opinion, that's where the Hawks got better first. When Bowman came in things changed. Puck possession. Got rid of the goons you mentioned above and helped create championship caliber teams. And I say this as a Wings fan....

Hitting on back to back first round picks and getting a pair of top 6 forwards goes a long way. The more impressive win was last year's. 2010 was so loaded with great talent and bad money that it had to be blown up. Winning it once was great, doing it a second time with the same core of skaters but entirely new depth players and a new goal tender showed me this organization knows its stuff.

sbentz4's picture

Hard to root against Ryan Getzlaf in these playoffs. That guy is straight beasting.

RedStorm45's picture

"San Jose-ing" - new verb.

Sharks were my Western team.  Never.  Again.

If it's anybody but Boston out of the East, it will be a surprise.  They're just playing so well right now.

The net appears smaller with Rask in it. Like 2 or three feet smaller. He's out of this world right now.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Is he?  I don't know, you could be right.  But the Red Wings weren't getting great shots against him.

RedStorm45's picture

Going to win the Vezina...so, yeah.

Crumb's picture

I'm hoping for the Bruins to take it home. Really I'd be happy with anyone other than Montreal, they're kind of like the Yankees or *ichigan of the NHL. I don't know about every team having a scumbag on their roster and I may be alone on this but I like Kane better than Toews and Malkin better than Crosby. Crosby and Toews act like Hockey begins and ends with them, and that just bugs me.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

See, now you gone and done it. What does Toews do that makes him act like hockey begins and ends with him? He plays defense (evident in his one Selke, with number two a very real possibility), dominates the faceoff circle, and has become a more impressive offensive force with each season. Listen to him talk for 4 minutes and try to find anything but modesty. He never flops,  but always dives hard into corners, wins tough battles and never takes a shift off. I'm fine discussing Seabrook and Shaw with William but you insult the Captain and I have to take a stand!

Crumb's picture

He just rubs me the wrong way somehow, you ever have that happen with people you know, they're perfectly nice decent people and you just don't like em for some reason you can't put your finger on? It's more of a my problem thing than anything, I bet I'd love him if he played for the Jackets.

Because he's on the Hawks I don't feel that way, but yes, I get where you are coming from.

HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

I've had the pleasure of meeting both Crosby and Malkin on separate occasions, in public. Malkin is by far the funniest and most down to Earth superstar athlete I've ever met, truly a good guy. Crosby is a class act as well. He waits in line at the DMV. Most stars don't. He signed my Pirates hat. I've been a rabid Pens fan since, well, forever. The Pens only have one diva, and that's Letang.

+3 HS
Crumb's picture

Any thoughts on the Conn Smythe Trophy? I couldn't believe it when I found out this past week that only 4 Americans have ever won it, and 3 of em in the last 3 years.

Seattle Linga's picture

Wings fan here - like most teams we are gearing up for next year - happy Columbus made it a series and I am happy that the Wild came back and beat the Avalanche.

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

I grew up a Wings fan till Columbus got a franchise so they're my second favorite team (and would be my first again if for some reason the Jackets left town) but I still hate the avalanche and was consoled a little by the Wild upsetting them. Any time Roy goes down it's good.

KBonay's picture

I have never seen so many pulled goalie goals as this years playoffs so far!? What is going on....no lead is safe. 

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

I'll tell you what, I have been watching hockey for many, many years.  I wish this Kings/Ducks series could go on forever.  Some seriously outrageously good hockey.  Action packed, hard hitting and relentless.  WOW is all I can say.
On another note, Lucic continues to lead the way as the biggest douche in NHL with his classless handshake as the Bruins were beat by the Habs.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Pretty deflated going into the playoffs since the Capitals (don't start) didn't make it (deservedly).

This Habs-Bruins clash reminded me how great the game can be, no matter who you root for. Haven't stayed up to catch any of the Kings-Ducks games, thankful their game seven is tomorrow night.

Unfortunately, Lucic's classlessness is all some folks will remember from what was a classic series. What an asshat.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Oh man, you are missing one of the better series! I think I love the new format for this years playoffs. All the series were good. Lots of parity. 

Do catch the game 7 of Kings/Ducks. Worth the wait up. 

I want to see the Caps succeed. Not sure why they can't. 

+1 HS