Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Blue Jackets fans camping out for Game 6

sbentz4's picture
April 28, 2014 at 12:11pm
23 Comments

Apparently hockey is catching on in Columbus.  Some of the fans have been camping out a day in advance to get their tickets for game 6.  The story comes from nhl.com.

BassDropper's picture

Columbus has some of the best, most loyal fans in the NHL. This has to be the 1000th time since the playoffs have started where I see or hear someone implying that the Blue Jackets didn't have fans (or many of them) before hand. 

DIRECTIONER

-3 HS
sbentz4's picture

After living in Columbus and now living in Chicago, it is night and day.  You can't walk down the street here without seeing blackhawks jerseys, hats, etc.  I am not saying there aren't fans, just surprised at these sort of things because it doesn't seem like hockey is a big deal in Cbus.  Check out these attendance numbers.

TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Interestingly enough, if you go back to before 2007, Chicago's attendance was at the bottom of the league.  What this says to me is if you can't skate past the competition or stick it to most other teams, then spectators' fandom might be on ice.  And when you are facing off with other sports teams in your city, a bad team might leave you short handed for years to come.  Okay I'm done

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Columbus isn't Chicago. Chicago is a well established program with tons of history. The Jackets have been in thee league for 14 years and just registered there first playoff win. For the past 14 years the Blue Jackets have basically been the Cleveland Browns on ice, except for the long storied tradition and history. Attendance numbers have slipped in past 6-7 years because of several factors; sucking for so long, threats of moving the team,etc. 

Out of 30 teams

2000-2001 Jackets ranked 12th in attendance

2001-2002 Jackets ranked 8th

2002-2003 Jackets ranked 11th

2003-2004 Jackets ranked 15th

2005-2006 Jackets ranked 17th

2006-2007 Jackets ranked 19th

2007-2008 Jackets ranked 28th

2008-2009 Jackets ranked 25th

2009-2010 Jackets ranked 22nd

2010-2011 Jackets ranked 27th

2011-2012 Jackets ranked 27th

2012-2013 Jackets ranked 28th

2013-2014 Jackets ranked 27th

Average over the past 14 years:20th

DIRECTIONER

sbentz4's picture

Thats pretty much the point.

Bolt's picture

Chicago has had some significant recent success along with being a storied NHL franchise. After this year and if the Jackets can keep building more and more success, you'll be seeing people around everywhere in CBJ stuff. 

dubjayfootball90's picture

I am a pens fan... I have some Pens memorabilia for a few players that I am hoping appreciate in value throughout this playoff run. Sadly, those players are having an off series (and an off year). I may strike a chord with many people on this site after saying this next snippet, but: Lets Go Pens!

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Living in PGH and marrying a young lady who is a diehard pittsburgh fan helped sway me to the Pens. But I am all Browns, all day every day. Hope that causes some on here to put down the pitchforks...

+3 HS
sbentz4's picture

I am tolerable of penguins fans, but absolutely hate the steelers.  So you are ok in my book.

Son of Sevenless's picture

I married a girl from Pittsburgh, but being from from northeast Ohio, I have to say I don't like the steelers, pirates, or pens. Basically if I see black and yellow together it puts me in a foul mood. Or, as they like to call it, black and gold?! However, my wife isn't a diehard fan so I mostly only have to deal with it when visiting the in-laws. Must be rough being a Browns fan and living there.

+1 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

I wouldn't look too much at those attendance numbers.  The last GM was a joke, and there were almost no good players to root for.  You can't expect a relatively new market to turn out for a bad product.

I'm a Pens fan, but it's been a great series.  Columbus has a lot of big, physical forwards, which make life tough.  Plus our goalie is always good for a few meltdowns each series, so I know it's a long way from over.

One question though - why the "blue" jackets?  I'd have gone with the Generals or something.

RedStorm45's picture

The last GM was NOT a joke - he built 90% of this team.  The FIRST GM (Maclean) was a joke, absolutely.

William's picture

This. Howson's greatest failures were the Filatov fiasco, the Jeff Carter trade and his trust in Steve Mason. He was good at finding value in the later rounds (Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, Prout, Reilly), and did well with the Nash, Bobrovsky, Foligno, and Letestu trades. Howson was a decent GM, that made a lot of solid moves, but had too many failures to sustain his tenure in Columbus. MacLean was a pig-headead, idiot that thought he was smarter than everyone else, but really just turned out to be a complete dumbass over his tenure as GM/President. When your whole scouting staff tells you to take Anze Kopitar over Gilbert Brule, and you take Brule because he's a good ol' Canadian boy and Kopitar is Slovenian, you deserve to be run out of town. Also just look at MacLean's picks in the 2003 draft, the best in NHL draft history. He picked Zherdev and Fritsche in the first two rounds. 

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

One question though - why the "blue" jackets?

I believe that the franchise picked the name "Blue Jackets" because it pays homage to the efforts of Ohio, and the city of Columbus during the Civil War. The majority of the blue uniforms the Union Army wore, were made in Ohio.

-1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

going to need everyone tonight…head tells me Pens 4 Jackets 2

+1 HS
toledobuckeyefanjim's picture

To the Blackhawk fans on this site, do you remember how empty the United Center was when old man Bill Wirtz was in his last years of owning the team? You could walk up to the UC on game day and get in without any problem. I have a friend in Chicago who talked to beer vendors who barely made any money in those losing years up to Rocky Wirtz taking over the team. So don't dump on Columbus fans and attendance at their games. You have a lot of fans who would jump off the team's bandwagon if the Hawks became the Buffalo Sabres next year.

Oh one more thing, Hawk fans: do you remember when the Red Wings fans would fill half the building against the Blackhawks in those years the Hawks stunk?

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

This.  Sustained losing any place south of the Canadian border will lead to thinner game day crowds.  It's happened everywhere in the U.S.  Sustained winning brings larger crowds.  It's really quite simple.

sbentz4's picture

The attendance is just an objective measure.  I just don't see Columbus as a "hockey town."  Maybe Chicago isn't a "hockey town" either, but the Browns have been a sustained loser and still get good or great attendance because Cleveland is a football town.  Not trying to say anything more than I didn't think there were a lot of CBJ fans, that is all.

RedStorm45's picture

There really are zero "hockey towns" south of Canada.  Maybe Minneapolis/St. Paul.

sbentz4's picture

How about Detroit or Philly?

William's picture

Detroit? For either Game 3 or 4 against the Bruins (can't remember which), they didn't even have their lower bowl filled, it was pathetic, you could see rows of empty seats on TV.

sbentz4's picture

Thats just wrong.