Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Indians Opening Day!

Go1Bucks's picture
March 31, 2014 at 9:34pm
49 Comments

It's time for Opening Day baseball for the Indians and its Great to Be a Tribe Fan.

Gametime in Oakland is 10:05 pm. Cool weather after a long rainy day in the Oakland area where it was questionable if the game would be played.  On the mound for the Indians is Justin Masterson.  2013 Stats:  14-10, 3.45 ERA, 1.202 WHIP, 193.0 IP 195 S.O.  Starting for Oakland is 24 yr old, 5' 10" Sonny Gray following a 2013 campaign of  5-3 with a 2.67 ERA.  

This is a high expectation year after some new additions to the team and some old favorites have moved on. This ties the earliest opening day in Tribe history, equaling the win over Seattle on March 31, 1998.  Enjoy everyone!

Line Ups: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/live/MLB_20140331_CLE@OAK

Cleveland Indians

N. Morgan, CF
N. Swisher, 1B
J. Kipnis, 2B
C. Santana, 3B
M. Brantley, LF
R. Raburn, DH
A. Cabrera, SS
D. Murphy, RF
Y. Gomes, C
J. Masterson, SP

Oakland Athletics

C. Crisp, CF
J. Donaldson, 3B
J. Lowrie, SS
B. Moss, DH
Y. Cespedes, LF
J. Jaso, C
J. Reddick, RF
D. Barton, 1B
E. Sogard, 2B
S. Gray, SP

Go1Bucks's picture

Please! No politicizing my fun today. No anti-Tribe BS.  Just plain baseball fun talk.

And while I'm at it - Go Swish!  -  Go Bucks!  -  Go Reds!

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

...waiting for SL's west coast comments to commence. :-P

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well you asked for it - you got it Go1Bucks.

So glad I can watch the game on the free preview on the MLB extra innings

Used to go to every home opening for 8 - 9 years in a row especially when there was 78,000 fans there at Municipal Stadium and 3,500 every game thereafter.

I know Masterson won't talk extension until after the season but I like what we are looking like once everyone gets healthy again. 

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

And you do not disappoint- I know you timeframe habits. lol.

I miss Muni, great place to buy a general admission and try to move down after the second inning. Cavernous, rancid bathrooms, blocked views and all.   And the best dog & mustard in the biz.

I think if he has a repeat year, the will give him what he wants.  I think they should have given Masterson his new contract this year, but someone wants to make sure he doesn't falter this year first.  Strange though, he has had multiple years of stellar play so why wait?

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice comments all around - 

Forgot about the moving down part.

Cepedas is the real deal for the A's - that's one guy you don't want to hang one on.

+1 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Roll Tribe!!! 

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I was worried everyone was asleep or on beer runs. +1

Go Bucks!

+3 HS

I'm just sitting here a little salty with Dish Network.... http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140228/BLOGS06/140229781#

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Dude, you can't see the game?  Thats sux!  WTF. Why does business have to get in the way of sports and their fans.  I guess because we are a captive audience.  You should be able to pick it up via 610am or 97.1 the fan.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

WWWE er... WTAM             38 states and half of Canada

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Edit Double post sorry

+1 HS

About ready to lol.   Scouring the internets as we speak...

-Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Try an Oakland link, I am looking for you as well. Friggin iHeart radio looks like only links.

Oakland link: http://player.tritonmedia.com/entercom/KGMZFM

Go Bucks!

+1 HS

As much as I'd love this to work... It's a talk show currently. I couldn't get any of the Cleveland radio stations to work through iHeartRadio. I've been keeping up with crappy ESPN Gamecast/twitter updates to follow the game. Guess I'll be spending a lot of time in the bar this season?

-Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

EDIT: toledo station - 1370 am - guess you need a radio or new tv

just saw this - friggin MLB

NOTE: MLB does not permit any internet radio provider to stream broadcasts of baseball games, even within local markets

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Hey Go1Bucks you started this thread now finish it with finding us a link that works for those that can't watch it live.

Were all counting on you brother

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Gee, no friggin pressure.  What you think I've been doing all game?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/live/MLB_20140331_CLE@OAK

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I just lost it - thanks for the chuckle - you win!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Damn. Just got called into work. All yours now guys. Go Tribe!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Are you OSU coach Anderson?

Go Bucks!

BassDropper's picture

Is it wrong to be a Reds fan and an Indians fan? I started watching baseball in high school and started watching the Reds and Indians at the same time. Early on I was more of an Indians fan, but for the past 7 seasons the Reds have been my #1 team. I have followed the Indians pretty closely over the years, but would start to tune out when they were stinking up the joint. Last season reeled me back in (even before the season started with the additions of Tito and Swisher) and I'm looking forward to the i-71 World Series. 

Sidenote: Thinking back to when I first started watching, it was the Grady Sizemore, CoCo Crisp, CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Victor Martinez, team. Think about how good Grady could have been if he stayed healthy.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I live by the Credo, Cleveland first - Ohio second in all sports (except college/ OSU).

It is never wrong to be a sports fan.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I was so against them letting him (Sizemmore) go.  Damn ownership sometimes!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
bgohio22's picture

Had to let him go. Happy for Grady and hope he succeeds but it was time to go in another direction with Bourn.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

A healthy center fielder is an absolute must - I like Bourn - seems like a real leader

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Yeah, I know, but he seems to playing better now. Just wishing.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Grady a fan favorite and a genuine good guy with some serious skills. Loved watching him play in his prime but I think the front office got impatient with him missing too many games - they got Bourne at the right time. As you know that it's a business and they (Front Office) don't care about us - the fans that help pay the salaries.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Cleveland keeps filling seats, regardless of records.  We are a stubborn City

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

They couldn't pay Sizemore what they were paying him to miss years at a time due to injuries. I loved him when he was healthy too, but with that salary and almost never playing is tough on the team. They needed to let him go and move on. I hope the best for him, but it was time for them to stop handcuffing the team waiting for him to get healthy.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

For any unable to watch - still scoreless.

Edit: bases loaded - 2 outs for Oakland

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/live/MLB_20140331_CLE@OAK

still no score

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

nerve-wrecking bottom of the 8th. Oakland A's = not very smart 

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Bass. They are going to go back and kick themselves 

Go Bucks!

BassDropper's picture

Maybe. Something tells me this bottom half of the 9th is going to be an interesting one. Hope I'm wrong

The Reds fan in me used to love when Axford came in to pitch for the Brewers and STL.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Morgan's Sacrifice just gave us the lead in the top of the 9th.

Edit - OSU's Swisher almost took off the pitchers head with the RBI line drive - 2-0 

+1 HS
Putter's picture

Go Tribe!!!  Hate the late start for opening day, but a win will make it worth staying up.  Let's see how the new bullpen handles the pressure of the ninth with the lead.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

It's only late for some .................... LOL

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Thanks for the updates guys

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Phone has delays. Lol. Wonder if Toledo Buck is still on. Sad STO getting bought by Fox. They listen to MLB

Go Bucks!

For once I'm glad I stayed up for that... I was just trying to follow on the Gamecast... Aaaaaand now I'm going to pass out. 

-Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Thanks to all who were up and cared to chat. As usual SL, late nite limits. Good game. Parting comment:

"Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!"

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Repeat tonight.  Everyone to Linga's place.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

I hate the As a lot. Roll Tribe. 

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Game officially rained out.  Party at Linga's still on, whether he wants it or not.  Starts at 10pm.

Go Tribe!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Too bad about the rainout - now switching my allegiance for ONLY the next three hours to the Mariners taking on the halo's. 

It's Taco and Tequila Tuesday - All are welcome - the more the merrier.

+1 HS