Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Ideal Browns Starting Skill Positions Next Season!!!

BoBo16's picture
March 6, 2014 at 10:06am
33 Comments

Sign Julian Edelman to play the slot position

Draft Sammy Watkins 4th overall in the draft

Josh Gordon - WR 1

Jordan Cameron - TE

Draft El Guapo with the 35th Pick - RB

Trade the 71st Pick for Kirk Cousins - QB

I think that looks like a scary offense to me! What do you guys think?

Hovenaut's picture

That's an offense to work with - although I don't think the Redskins are going to part with Cousins - yet.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

I think they will, they need draft picks badly and they sold their soul for RGIII.

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

As Redskins fan I'm torn - they need the personnel, but I also think they need a solid backup at the QB position.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed and I think Hoyer will be a good backup to whoever they draft

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

You had me up until Kirk Cousins. 

+8 HS
mh277907's picture

I with ya. To me, his situation screams Matt Flynn.

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Yeah, I agree. I liked what I saw out of him his rookie year when he stepped in the first couple games, but then it seemed like a huge regression after that. Call it inconsistent playing time or whatever, but he's not a guy I want to send a 3rd round pick on since there is still value there. I'd rather them just draft another kid at that point and see what Hoyer can do when healthy while letting the drafted kid learn the ropes.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Since you have Hyde at the 35th pick, who do you have them taking at the 26th pick they got from Indianapolis?

+4 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Since this is most ideal and not most realistic, I'll go with:

Sign Ben Tate at RB

Sign Edelman for the slot (I liked that)

Teddy Bridgewater at #4

Kelvin Benjamin at #25

obviously Gordan and Cameron are at WR anf TE respectively

And I know its not offence... but Shazier falls to #35 and we land him

Game... Blouses 

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

I like watkins with the 4th pick I think most QBs in this years draft would be a reach there

+5 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I'm a big proponent of them taking Watkins with the 4th pick as well. It could actually give them a receiving corp that's worth something between him, Gordon, and Cameron. I think this is a deep QB class, but I think the ones rated the top are a reach inside the top 10. I'd rather wait and get a QB later on.

+4 HS
luckynutz's picture

Word is they have sight set on ben tate in free agency, which I like. Draft Watkins at 4...would keep defenses honest, reducing the ability to double gordon and free up space for cameron underneath. Notn sold on Edelman...and also think travis Benjamin has a ton of potential. And speed to burn. At qb im different...I say give hoyer a shot. See what he has instead of looking for the big splash draft pick. Instead, draft a guy like aaron murray. I know I keep saying it...but if he hadn't torn his acl he would be in the conversation as a high pick. Bed be a value pick in the 2nd or 3rd. Dont waste the high picks...Instead address the other issues. This team is more than one guy away from competing. Dont put all the eggs in one basket and compound things. Be smart and take it he best available guy to fill the holes you have. Qb is a crapshoot this year...take the safe route and develop a guy.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I'm a proponent of the Aaron Murray pick too. I think he can be a huge value in the 2nd or 3rd round. Of all the QB's in this class, I'm most intrigued by him.

BoBo16's picture

That was with the old management calling the shots. I was reading that the new management is scared off the injury baggage that comes with tate.

Eat, Sleep, and Breathe Buckeyes

luckynutz's picture

Hes never shown he can carry a full workload...which is why drafting Carlos hyde would make total sense if they sign tate. Solid backup plan...if tate gets hurt, you got a horse rwady to roll. And if tate stays healthy, you have the perfect short yardage handcuff and a guy who can split carries and be effective.

To be honest, I was intrigued by Edwin baker at the end of the year. He ran hard, showed some wiggle and did a nice job in the screen game as well. Hopefully they keep him around and give him a look in camp.

MacG91's picture

Redskins will probably be looking for a 1st or early second round pick for Cousins. 

Mac..yeah

MacG91's picture

Browns should do what the Bengals, 49ers and Seahawks did, get a QB that is already developed in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

If only it was that easy...

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Well considering their history of drafting 1st round QBs, would you rather use a 1st or 2nd/3rd round pick on one?

Mac..yeah

mh277907's picture

Their history of drafting 1st round QBs is certainly not good but neither is their history of drafting QBs in the 2nd round and later - a list which includes Charlie Frye, Colt McCoy and Luke McCown. Not to mention that part of the reason they drafted Weeden was because they considered him to be already developed. It would be nice for this front office to finally make the right decision on a QB, whether it is in the first round or not. And because the front office personnel has changed so much so often for the Browns, it is hard for me to hold the franchise's atrocious QB draft history against the current administration so I wouldn't be opposed to them drafting a guy in the 1st round if they truly believe that they have their guy.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

I get the gist of what you are saying...but here is a big difference. Those 3 teams have top ranked defenses and experienced skill guys around those qbs. And it hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows for Frisco and cincy with their qbs. Kaep is a legit runner...but his passing is suspect. Dalton is a game manager...but too reliant on one target. But I share the sentiment...thats why aaron murray makes so much sense to me. Hes polished, has the arm and is coming off injury. Its a perfect set up really. You see what hoyer has and let murray learn the offense. Hes coming off an injury...so theres no pressure to run him out too early. Let him absorb the game and the speed of it. Let him learn the offense, study film and get used to the speed of the game. If hoyer doesn't work out...well, rome wasn't built in a day. Not expecting this team to set the league on fire next season. So just develop a plan, stick with it and groom your franchise guy. Worked for cincy with Palmer.

Furious George 27's picture

Unless Edelman is bringing Tom Brady with him, I am not sure you need him when you have the same type of player in Benjamin coming back. I'd address OL and DB with FA. Watkins, Hyde, Carr (if they must draft a 1st RD QB), OL and LB with draft. I think Edelman is a product of the system rather than superior talent. Thats just my opinion.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

The draft 'experts' at espn are saying that Carr will go in round 2. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS

I am not even sold on Carr.... I'd take the weapons and see what Hoyer can do and develop a QB if they get one. If they're not the answer, you still have Watkins*, Gordon, Camron, Benjamin and Hyde* then you could go all in on giving up picks for Winston if he goes pro next year.

+1 HS
kwaz50's picture

I would be happy with AJ Mcarron being in the fold with a 3rd round pick somewhere.  He is a winner and if he has all these weapons to throw to i think he could be pretty good.

+1 HS
sbentz4's picture

You can't draft Watkins at 4 unless you think that he will be a Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald type of player.  If you do think he can be that elite, then go ahead.  I like Bridgewater or Bortles at 4, more importantly no Manziel PLEASE!!

QB - Bortles or Bridgewater (4th pick)

WR 1 - Gordon

WR 2 - Kelvin Benjamin (if there)

WR 3 - Free agent, James Jones or Edelman

TE - Cameron

RB - Competition, Dion Lewis and 3rd or 4th rounder

Most analysts believe he will be just as good as the WRs you mentioned and few believe Bortles and Bridgewater make it to #4. I wouldn't be upset with either route, but having two stud WRs can make any QB look good look at Cincy.

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

I have more faith in watkins being that kind of elite than I do in any of these qbs ever getting there.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Despite what he did to the Browns, the mere idea of pinning one's hopes to Kirk Cousins is the scariest of those propositions.  I'd rather use that pick to draft a developmental guy and see what happens with Hoyer.  If he ends up stinking up the joint (or gets hurt again), the Browns will be picking high again next year.

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

Based on the browns luck whoever they pass on, whether it be Manziel or Watkins, will be the one to have a breakout rookie campaign.  The other will be doomed with injuries and have a short career

Buckeyebrowny919's picture

No qb is worth the 4 this year. Period. Get the skill positions and let yaboi Hoyer have a whack at it. I really enjoyed hoyer under center. Bring in a late rounder to develop behind him. I like the pick up of hyde obviously

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

lamplighter's picture

over on Dawg Pound Daily, they were talking how Watkins would be a wasted pick  Not sure I go that far, but I still think they need to fix the OL first

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Wonder why they say it would be a waste of a pick - kids a baller