Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Browns release D'Qwell Jackson

HotSauceCommittee's picture
February 26, 2014 at 3:55pm
18 Comments

Wow! Arguably the best defensive player on the team, tackling leader and border-line pro-bowler. Saves them $6 million in cap space.

Baroclinicity's picture

Don't think I'm surprised to see that.  But he's one of those guys that deserves to play for a winner.  Hope someone good picks him up.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

BuckeyeNation_330's picture

I'd love to see him resign with the team at a lower cost of course.

"Bleed Scarlet, Die Gray"

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Seems like a Joe Banner move, but since he's gone, I'm shocked, especially given how thin the Browns are at ILB.  D'Qwell has a lot of miles on him, but he's been a solid pro.  Hate to see him go.

Italics are for emphasis.

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Just ridiculous. Guy has been a good soldier. Given them everything he had and never once complained or begged out of cleveland. Forget the mileage on his body...hes performed at a high level for years. But after Phil Dawson last year, I've come to expect this from our front office. Guys who have been the face of loyalty and consistency for cleveland being axed just to save a little money. Hopefully jackson can move on and have the type of year Dawson had this year as a big f*#k you to Cleveland's front office.

+2 HS
elitesmithie's picture

I can see this since we are over the cap..wait whats that? We are like 30M under and we can't pay his 4M dollar bonus???

+2 HS
lamplighter's picture

well that screws up the draft - they'll never draft a top flight tackle now.  Holy crap

lvccacamcrca's picture

What did we do too deserve the history of  poor ownership and management that have taken this once proud franchise and turned it into a terrible joke? Another brilliant move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otrain2416's picture

Best Defensive player on the team!? bahahahahhahaa what games have you been watching the past five years? He's the leading tackler of 5 or more yard gains. He's rarely  in the back field, teams have run all over us when they get past the first level, and honestly when you have guys like Rubin and Taylor taking on double teams you should be the leading tackler. I'll give him this he's been a leader and a veteran presence but he's an average MLB at best. I would rather sign guys like Haden Ward Mack and Cameron whose contracts are up or almost up then give him more money. 

+3 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I said 'arguably' the best. Haden would be the best, but D'Qwell is still a solid tackler and play maker.

otrain2416's picture

I'm sorry if I came off the wrong way, but honestly D'Qwell is average at best. He's been the leading tackler the past few years sure, but the majority of those years we ran a 4-3 which funnels tackles to the MLB. I love my Browns but D'Qwell is not  that good and got very over-hyped for being a veteran on the team. His lateral speed was sub par, was awful at sheading blocks once he's engaged, he rarely makes tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage, and I haven't seen him consistently making plays in coverage. 

luckynutz's picture

Jackson does his job. Yes, their are guys who may be better players, but no one has been more valuable to this team. Hes the consummate professional...a guy who doesnt play the me me me game and puts the team first. Hes been here for 8 years...and in this 8 years hes been about as consistent as you could ask for. May not be at the top of the heap as far as the sexy stats are concerned (sacks, ings and such). But hes consistently the top tackler on the team and a hard nosed competitor. Never complained about the lack of winning. Never asked to be traded or lobbied to leave. Hes been a staying force for a team in constant turnover. Theres still tread left on his tires, and he deserved better than to be unceremoniously kicked to the curb.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Perhaps an impromptu curb-kicking ceremony should be in order?

I actually agree with all your points. They are betting he is on the decline and they can find someone better/cheaper. They may be right, but unfortunately the new regime is likely underestimating his impact in the huddle and the locker room.

Italics are for emphasis.

kwaz50's picture

Sucks to see him leave cause he was a tackling machine no matter how far down the field it was.  Also means we'll have to draft a new MLB sometime in this upcoming draft.

+1 HS
TCOB_6's picture

Rumor has it, Cleveland is working to get Bert Bielema as the next head coach...

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Surprised and shocked all wrapped up into one bag of "I didn't see it coming"

Go1Bucks's picture

Obvious plans of drafting a certain individual to replace him I would think.

Go Bucks!