Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Erik Swenson/Protecting Recruits/Financial Aid Agreement

0 HS
pdpepper's picture
January 22, 2016 at 11:11am
21 Comments

In light of Harbaugh's latest recruiting tactics with Erik Swenson, I was wondering why more recruits don't try and sign their financial aid agreement with schools.  It binds the school to the recruit, but not the recruit to the school.  It more or less protects the player from an Erik Swenson situation.  If a program really wants you and willing to accept your commitment, then they should have no problem with you signing a financial aid agreement.

I know the recruit has to "intend" to enroll early in order to sign the agreement, but if you're the recruit, why not say you "intend" to enroll early, sign the financial aid agreement, and protect your spot in the class.  If something happens where you can't enroll early, so be it because you did "intend" to enroll early and you just enroll the following August. 

The financial aid agreement can be signed by August 1 of the recruits senior year.  It obligates the school to the recruit, but not the recruit to the school, so the recruit can still change their mind.  They are just protecting their scholarship.  It also protects the recruit from injury during their senior year.  If you tear your ACL, the school can't pull the scholarship because it's already binding.  I'm wondering why all recruits don't do this? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments