Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

This Date in Gray Box History: Josh Alabi (7-25)

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 25, 2015 at 10:04am
4 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I have the majority. 

Josh Alabi

Josh Alabi had a .866 comp. rating and was the 29th ranked SDE in the 2015 class.

ON JULY 25, 2014 JOSH ALABI (SDE) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

Excerpts from Jeremy Birmingham of elevenwarriors.com:

A 6-foot-5, 270 pound lineman, Alabi chose Ohio State over offers from Michigan State, Tennessee, Miami, Wisconsin, Michigan and others.

Although 247Sports.com lists the Michigan-native as an offensive line prospect, it's believed he'll most likely line up on the defensive side of the ball for the Buckeyes. He could be a defensive tackle or a defensive end.

[...]

Indeed, Alabi is just the latest Ohio State prize from Detroit's Cass Tech, traditionally considered a Michigan "pipeline" school. Webb, one of the state's top prospect while at Cass Tech, was one of the headliners from Ohio State's 2014 class and the Buckeyes also went to Cass for linebacker Marco Cooper (2000) and defensive end Vernon Gholston (2004).

From Ari Wasserman of cleveland.com:

Ohio State got its second verbal commitment in the 2015 recruiting class during Friday Night Lights when three-star defensive tackle Joshua Alabi of Detroit Cass Tech pulled the trigger in favor of the Buckeyes. 

Rated by Rivals.com the No. 25 defensive tackle in the class, Alabi chose the Buckeyes over Michigan State, Wisconsin, Tennessee and Miami (Fla.). 

The commitment isn't only big for Ohio State because it is adding another big body to the defensive line, but Urban Meyer has been trying to infiltrate Cass Tech, which was known as a Michigan pipeline not too long ago. 

But Ohio State landed top cornerback Damon Webb in the 2014 class from the Technicians and have become a major player in the Detroit-area high school. 

ALABI'S RECRUITING VIDEO

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments