Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Ohio State New Leader For Torrance Gibson

305Buck's picture
July 26, 2014 at 12:09am
82 Comments

Per Steve Wiltfong.

sivaDavis's picture

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

It's gotta be the waterfall. The locker rooms been needing it. Every real college football team has a waterfall in their locker room.

+19 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Nah pretty sure it's the 17 tweets I sent him...

+38 HS
osu407's picture

After tonight I am starting to think that waterfall might have magical properties.  

Or maybe it could be that Urban guy

+11 HS
Boom777's picture

Don't fool yourself! Its the waterfall!!

Wherever you are, there you be!

+4 HS
Norwalk's picture

That's it. I'm putting in a waterfall. To hell with a new roof and fixing the leaky basement!

+10 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Just convert the leaky basement into the waterfall. 2 birds, 1 stone 

+18 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Are you hoping Gibson commits to your house?

+2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I'm pretty sure he is in CBus until Sunday! Don't be surprised if there is one of those special "silent" verbals to Urbz before he leaves town. Just sayin!

-1 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

And it begins....

On a side note, I'm kind of scared about this news, because I feel like we will start to think that TG is a lean/lock again, and then he will commit somewhere else, leaving us in a state of mass confusion and disappointment. 

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Been saying all along that when this kid made it up for the summer that Ohio State would be his leader. This kid loves attention, and since Tennessee was showing him the most (their fans harassing him on twitter, Butch Jones calling him at least once everyday) he kept them at the top for the time being. But everyone who has been following this kid closely since the end of last year knows that Miami and Ohio State were always his top 2 schools, and this kid values winning so much that there wasn't anyway he was ending up in Tennessee.

+5 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

It's simple: we want Torrance Gibson to play ball at Ohio State

+9 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

"Ohio State fans will be happy" - post FNL from Gibson

Looks like he'll be taking an official visit to Columbus also

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+11 HS
Travis's picture

The dude wants to visit for the Michigan game.

Consider him a lock if he does that.

They need a 2 to tie, a 3 to win it; Sylvester for threeeee... OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHH WITH FIVE POINT ONE TO GO!!!

+5 HS
MikeTheBuckeye's picture

I really want to see him land here at Ohio State. He's not exactly a must-get in my opinion. That's reserved for the likes of Damian Harris or better yet Christian Kirk. But he's probably as close as it gets. He wants to play QB. We need him at QB. What better place than here?

+4 HS
CC's picture

Wow I feel old, Sam looks 100 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I also thought the show Becker was funny as well

+1 HS
hardkorethree's picture

Much like 305Buck mentioned, Torrance Gibson seems to like the attention.  It's driving me a bit nuts, but let's be serious.. This would be a big get for Ohio State, and I with pretty much everybody else want him anyways.  The big hurdle was getting him to visit campus at least once, now we just have to get him up here for a official visit, preferably for one of our big time games.

Tampabuckeye85's picture

Do any of you think if Harris, Gibson, Kirk and sweat commit that's enough for us to get the number 1 spot

-1 HS
305Buck's picture

Depends. That would give us four 5 star recruits. I think it'll be tough to overcome Alabama and A&M because of who they have left on their board as well, but it will definitely out us in the top 3. Losing Jerome Baker and Larry Scott didn't help, but if we can replace Baker with Deberry or Jefferson, then we are sitting pretty.

+4 HS
CC's picture

No, class is too small and we have enough 3* guys that we would still be a sub 4 average.

+6 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Just give it time, rankings change, a lot of guys have gone up from 3 stars after their senior season. Long ways to go.

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

The number one spot only matters at the END of a season.  

+19 HS
cinserious's picture

With the size limitations of this yr's class, a top five class is basically like a no. 1 class anyway.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+3 HS
jonping67's picture

247sports calculator puts us in 2nd behind you know who.

GO BUCKS!

iamcbs's picture

Don't be fooled by this young man, he seems enamored with the attention of the recruiting process, much like Stefon Diggs a few years ago. Every school he's visited over the past 4 months has become his favorite, he's made the same comments about Auburn, Tennessee and FSU in that time frame. Recruiting is a zero-sum game, which is why I don't pay any real attention until NLOI Day, I just won't be subject to the vagaries of 16-18 year-old children. Gibson will go back and forth and milk this for all the attention he can get. In the immortal words of Public Enemy's Chuck D and Flavor Flav, "Don't believe the Hype!!"

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep, I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion~Alexander the Great

-4 HS
OSU069's picture

Ya but he drove 20 hours to be here so I think that definitely shows his interest level.

+11 HS
305Buck's picture

You would be surprised how often leaders change in kids minds, especially with making so many visits and seeing so many different schools. Some kids like to come out and name leaders and others don't, but in the end they're still kids enjoying a once in a lifetime opportunity. And to be fair TG didn't come out and name Ohio State his leader, his coach texted Wiltfong and told him privately. Social media wasn't involved at all so don't think this is an attention wanting scheme.

+8 HS
iamcbs's picture

Players who don't want attention don't write recruiting blogs for USA Today, I'm not suggesting that Gibson nor any other player not enjoy the recruiting process, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. what I am saying is that fans who hang on every word and whim of these players, follow them on Social Media and try to read every tea leaf about what they are or aren't going to do should get another hobby.

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep, I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion~Alexander the Great

b_pbucksfans's picture

Vonn Bell and I'm pretty sure the Chef, did recruiting blogs for sports sites. Are they attention hogs?

+1 HS
Mercurius's picture

Fuck that. He isn't enamored with attention. He is creating a brand. He is selling himself through social media. He's made some missteps--but there is a reason Johnny Football has the highest selling jersey in the NFL.

I think Gibson is willing to put in the work too.

-1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Just like it was written in the beginning this will come down to Auburn,Tenn,and tOSU. Expect it to be a very long,bumpy,winding road.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

According to the Auburn 247 staff insider, Auburn has slowed down on Gibson and is focusing on Deondre Francois, Kai Locksley and Lamar Jackson. Also read that Tennessee has told TG that he would be a WR if he came there.

-2 HS

Find that hard to believe when just yesterday Tennessee was Gibsons leader. He has expressed several times he is a QB and wants to be referred to as one. Not saying you are the cause of the false information just that I have a very hard time believing they told him they are recruiting him as a WR and were still his leader.It completely contradicts everything the young man has said from the get go.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Has he been offered by Ohio State???? I thought he has had Ohio St. On his lists but never made it here till last night and haven't ever heard if he has been offered! If so my bad!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

PittBuckeye's picture

Yeah, he was offered a while ago, he hadn't made it up till now though that was correct.

The Rill Dill's picture

No, Ohio State didn't offer the 5*, top recruit in the nation.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

He's not the top recruit in the nation, but point noted

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

FWIW, Wiltfong CB'ed him to OSU last night after speaking with him.  If you follow Wiltfong, he's not one to throw around his CB's and flip them unless he has good reasons. (Along with a couple other guys you may have heard of)

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Yeah, but this has been the way it's been join. He visits a school, then they're his favorite. I can't say I blame him, I'm sure they all put on quite a show, and it must be a cool feeling. It also can't be a bad sign, just not sure I'm going overboard on the excitement yet.

See Vonn Bell, everyone thought the school he'd visited most recently was way ahead.

bbb's picture

Yes, but Wiltfong doesn't CB unless there's a really good chance of someone committing

-2 HS
Gray Box's picture
+1 HS
Gray Box's picture
+6 HS

Wow those are some heavy hitters in the industry. A damn shame Birm couldnt attend and get a chance to talk to the young man. Telling you though,none of these crystal ball predictions mean anything unless Dave Biddle pinpoints him to the Buckeyes.

bbb's picture

Where was Jer Brighamheim instead of FNL?

-5 HS
KBonay's picture

he resides in AZ now.

+1 HS
bbb's picture

on what business?

-10 HS
TedGinnIsFasterThanYou's picture

"on what business?"

...none of your f*cking business

-10 HS
KBonay's picture

Really?  I personally see Biddle as the most opinionated, OSU homer in the business. 

-1 HS
cdub4's picture

The Biddle comment was sarcasm.

+9 HS
SilverState's picture

Thought he was staying through Sunday?

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I believe Saturday was his planned departure date.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

-1 HS
KBonay's picture
+6 HS
bethmowins's picture

So if OSU is his leader, and it won't change anymore...

+6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I don't see a GREY BOX!

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Hopefully, that means he is committed to the Buckeyes all the way to signing day, by him saying his list won't change.  Have to admire a kid for driving all those hours to visit. Seems like he genuinely had a good time. Wish him the best through this whole process.

+2 HS
Urban Nation Army's picture

Edit: already above 

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

+1 HS
lsjSnail's picture

I mean if there is any logic to what he says that means he is all OSU...but obviously who knows what that means 

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture

Perhaps he means "any more" meaning his current list is not changing other than moving OSU to #1. The teams that were ahead of OSU move down 1 spot but still remain in the same order as before.

+3 HS
Gray Box's picture
Woodshed's picture

I think you guys are thinking too much about his comment. My interpretation is simply that there will be no more lists. Not that his personal preferences won't change before announcing.

+3 HS
Gray Box's picture
+3 HS

Lawrence Cager I'm guessing?

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

Looks like Cager deleted the tweet but a couple people retweeted/subtweeted it before he did:

+2 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

Call me a liar if you want, but I've always felt that we were the leader for Gibson. Regardless of the drama he created with Tennessee and Auburn, he knew that he's been a Urban Meyer fan and really wanted to be a Buck. Players nowadays create drama on purpose (Glenville kids) and people will have to get used to it. Old school days are long gone.  I truly believe that Gibson will be Pryor 2.0. So gifted athletically but not quite there as a passer. Gibson will deliver us some big wins while also making us pull out our hair at times. Don't know about you, but I'm ready for the ride!

+2 HS
saltybuck61's picture

I think that he will be what Pryor could have been had he had the luxury of a competent quarterback coach. If he comes to Ohio State, that is. It will definitely be interesting to see how he develops.

+5 HS

A actual QB coach and a system tailor made for his athletic gifts. Kid could put up mind boggling numbers in a situation like that.

OSU069's picture

Marc Givler is reporting that he will be here for an official visit for the Va Tech game. It's good that he will be back before his decision date. 

+3 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Going to V tech instead of Michigan. Maybe he just couldn't wait to get back

+4 HS
edr4225's picture

lets go bucks!!

+7 HS
Murph32's picture

Ha, same day I'm moving to Columbus must be a sign.

+5 HS
Woodshed's picture

That is also 3 days before richmond's decision date. That would be GREAT if he tagged along for an official that day as well.

+3 HS
TeeJayKay614's picture

Glad he will be here for the VT game. I think this will be the marquee home game this year, unless we are undefeated when we face TTUN. 

Shoe should be electric. 8pm kick, First home game with the new seats added, and hopefully a certain special guest from Akron roaming the sideline 

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

You gotta figure, based on what they had said earlier in the process, that if OSU adds Gibson to Hilliard, they will be hard to beat for Harris.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Glad we are finally number one after FNL's but we need to do what we can to stay there until he commits. 

Gray Box's picture
+1 HS