Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Jaire George

WezBuck28's picture
July 24, 2014 at 7:48am
22 Comments

Excuse me if this has been discussed already, but I seen on 247 that Jaire George, the son of Eddie George, is trying to earn a scholarship offer..I can not seem to paste the link here from my phone, but maybe someone could help a brother out..he is 6'2" tall, 226 lb rb/lb...should we offer this kid because of who he is? We are pretty stacked at both positions...and things didn't work out for both Adam Griffin, or Duron Carter..could it for Jaire? Only time will tell I guess, IF he were to earn that offer ...what are your thoughts?

AJBor41's picture

He seems to be largely a blocking fullback for his HS team. Not sure of how he'd fit into an Urban offense.

Woodshed's picture

Just curious. How did Adam Griffin not work out?

WezBuck28's picture

I guess I should have worded that a little differently, I should have said things didn't quite pan out for him, not his fault, just saying..

703Buckeye's picture

If I remember correctly, Adam had some chronic back issues. 

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And I think that is why along with shoulder surgery he was never able to finish his playing career at OSU or anywhere.   

+2 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Adam played honourably when he had to chance to see the field, kid came in as a 2-star rb/cb and finished it by seeing the field early and earning the respect of his teammates.  My 2 cents, When it comes to fringe prospects who are Legacies, a preferred walk on spot should be reserved while given them a chance to earn a spot down the line..

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Preferred Walk-On spot would be a nice offer to him, but a full-ride, Im not too sure. 

+6 HS
toad1204's picture

Saw something from 247 not too long ago that also suggested some Ivy League schools were interested because he also carries a 4.0.  IF so OSU should be able to do an academics scholarship with the preferred walk-on spot.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS
KansasBuckeye's picture

It seems to me that Eddie was a bit of a late-bloomer.  Could be the same for his son?  The legacy factor is enough that he oughta be camping at Ohio State at some point so the staff can at least get a better look.  Plus he's another kid at DeMatha HS in Maryland.  That school is sure churning out top prospects these days!  Wouldn't mind one bit if we worked that one as a pipeline school.

allinosu's picture

Eddie was well developed when he walked on campus. He looked like a body builder so I don't get the late bloomer. 

logamaniac's picture

because he took time to develop as the ball carrier we all remember.  he had his problems on the field too before that lest you forget

allinosu's picture

Yes had a fumbling problem but his early problem was playing behind Robert Smith, Raymont Harris and Butler By'not'e.

KBonay's picture

I don't know about 'late-bloomer'.  He decided to take a 5th year at Fork Union and rushed for 1300+ yards.  And he was successful at OSU his Freshman year....until the fumbles.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Oh man, the fumbles...his fumble-itis made me nervous every time he touched the ball.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Yep...I remember folks calling him 'Fumble-Eddie'.

KansasBuckeye's picture

Right, wasn't his decision to take a 5th year at Fort Union Military Academy in part because he wanted to boost his stock?  That was my understanding.  Not saying he was ever undersized, he did look like a body-builder when he got to Columbus and his son is certainly not undersized either (6-2, 226).  But my understanding is that his game, even for a high school student, could use some polishing before getting the big D-I offers.  My point was just that Eddie wasn't dominating high school competition as a sophomore and junior either.  If I'm mistaken in my assumption, please let me know.  I'll gladly retract my words if I'm incorrect.

Calgarybuck's picture

Dematha has been doing it for 15 years, Don't forget Joe Haden came from there and they typically have 10+ D1 prospects per year.  Them and Good Counsel are some of the top schools in the mid-atlantic area and constantly ranked in the top 30-40 schools in the nation.  If we can make in-roads at those schools and possibly Don Bosco in NJ we'll be on hardpressed not to be the best program in the land.

KB3RG's picture

Jaire is a blocking full back mainly. But appears from his highlights that he was used in some good PA pass packages and racked up some good yardage. I doubt he gets an offer from OSU just based on scheme or his name alone. Currently he does not have 1 offer. I hope that he does very well and gets an offer from the likes of Stanford. I think he would excel there. Plus it would be awesome to see Eddie George and Barry Sanders sons play together.

Also George plays for DeMatha Catholic (Tyler Green's school). 247 states that George holds a 4.0 GPA and also plays ILB. 

http://247sports.com/Player/Jaire-George-75514

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2906771/highlights/130596375

BroJim's picture

Im sure Meyer will handel the situation with tact.

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
Buckeye Elite's picture

Will he be at camp tomorrow to try and earn an offer?

"Clear eyes, Full heart, Can't lose!"
                                  - Friday Night Lights

logamaniac's picture

I'm down with the preferred walk-on role unless he comes to camp and shows he's willing to work and earn it.  as unfair as it is sometimes you just give a legacy the benefit of the doubt (hello case mccoy), especially when its the progeny of a high profile guy like eddie.