Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson..

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
July 17, 2014 at 2:37pm
157 Comments

Visit in the works according to his Twitter, he told me that the likely date for a trip would be next Wednesday, July 23rd. We'll see...

BUCKSOMIES's picture

Hmmm. Come see what you been missing Torrance.

+7 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Torrance will be here for FNL!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

zebiraross's picture

It's what we've been saying all along, let's get him on campus...

Zeb

+2 HS
SilverState's picture
+10 HS
Gray Box's picture

Hilliard at work: 

+11 HS
97Buckeye's picture

I just can't not love this gif :)

+1 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Ill believe it when its set in stone.

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+12 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

"I got a fever" is one of my favorite SNL skits of all time

+4 HS
cinserious's picture

I remember it but never understood WTF it meant. I still like it because Christopher Walken.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

"I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records."

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+8 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Fallon is laughing the entire sketch

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

"This is Bruce Dickinson!"

"The cock of the walk, baby!"

"And if he wants more cowbell, I say we should give it to him!"

+3 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Well well well, won't this be interesting.

+3 HS
UrbanBuckeye's picture

Looks like Auburn has stopped recruiting him. If this is down to us and Tennessee, I like our chances!

In Urban We Trust!

+3 HS
bethmowins's picture

I thought I heard Tenn. stopped recruiting him too. If thats the case, I like our chances.

+9 HS
Patriot4098's picture

This is a legit question and not meant to troll. BUT why would these two top tier colleges quit recruiting him? That seems like a red flag to me. I'll admit to not knowing much about recruiting though.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+4 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

I'm sorry, when was Tennessee ever considered top tier in the last 10 years? Their consistently at best 4th in their own division.  Who would want to play for a middling program.

+3 HS
Patriot4098's picture

I see your point, and at the same time, I don't care. Really doesn't change my question. *1 Top tier and another attractive, former top tier, who still happens to be higher tier.* Better?

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

One big thing they have going for them is that their facility upgrades are apparently second to none, and quite impressive to a kid who has not seen Ohio State's in person...yet.

buckguyfan1's picture

Off Topic...

Jeremy, is PSU loosing its grip on Wimbush?

+4 HS
OSUBias's picture

I'm listening...tell me more.

Shitter's full

+4 HS
Adam21's picture

Heard he may flip to Stanford. 

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Source?

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

The men of scarlet and gray changed mentioned it on his twitter feed saying he might change his crystal ball prediction, for what its worth.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

I've read that too.  Supposedly, he was waiting on that offer for a while and it finally came.  It'll be interesting to see what happens

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Probably nothing, but I noticed around 5 CB's to Stanford in the last week or so.   Franklin could use a little reality check.

+3 HS
clogan1032's picture

Stanford, amazing school academically, great football team, great area, has to be hard to say no to that.  And no sanctions, so they have that going for them as well.

+6 HS
rdubs's picture

Yep I would go there hands down if I were a D1 prospect.

+1 HS
DaveStephens's picture

By the time Wimbush sees playing time, the sanctions will be gone anyway.

The Dude abides.

whiskeyjuice's picture

I like, I like

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

That grip started being lost the minute he flew to Stanford to camp to earn an offer from the Cardinal. That's beyond the scope of "normal" for a player 100-percent committed to a school. 

SilverState's picture

If I could give an up-vote...

+13 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Looks like some camp chirping and recruits doing some recruiting got to him...

+1 HS

I seen where Wimbush moved up over 100 spots  in the  new recruiting rankings and into the top 80, and they said not only does he have the strongest arm of his class but that his arm strength could be legendary. I'm pissed we didnt land him and the jealous little kid inside me doesn't want  PSU fans to have him.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

They moved him up 100 spots because they figured he wasn't going to end up in the B1G.  If something goes wrong with Stanford and he re-affirms his commitment to PSU, watch his ranking drop...

+9 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Don't say this stuff... I've always wanted him more than Gibson. (Though I guess it would be nice to have Gibson too, I'm no hater.)

+1 HS
DaveStephens's picture

Aren't we always talking about how the rest of the B1G needs to step up recruiting?  This is a loss for us as well if he heads West.

The Dude abides.

Murph32's picture

You must haven't heard about that Peppers kid yet...

DaveStephens's picture

I must haven't.  My bad.

The Dude abides.

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture

whoa, is this the Dave Stephens that went to Saint Alberts?

+1 HS
DaveStephens's picture

I knew it was a bad idea to use my real name....

The Dude abides.

+2 HS
bethmowins's picture

It was more your location

+1 HS
DaveStephens's picture

I'm sorry, you lost me.  Did my mom put my name in the Parish Bulletin again?

The Dude abides.

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture

haha no, I just saw your name and saw your were from North Royalton.

+1 HS
DaveStephens's picture

I'm wondering how you associated me with St. A's?  I only went there four years and haven't been there in years.

The Dude abides.

+1 HS
DaveStephens's picture

Now I'm totally lost.  Was there a lot of media coverage of CYO basketball in the 90s I wasn't aware of?

The Dude abides.

+1 HS

That is a Buckeye fan I'm supposing a man that has a screen name making fun of Beth Mowins

+1 HS
DaveStephens's picture

Got that, thanks.  Don't know how that person knows me.

The Dude abides.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I'm pissed we didnt land him

If PSU grabs both Wilkins and Settle  I'm going to be pissed.

Someone has anger issues.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS

Or maybe someone has a differing opinion of what pissed means.

osu07asu10's picture

Let's talk after you get on campus, Torrance...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS
holtzy's picture

The plot like my gravy thickens...

+4 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Hope he stays with PSU. Need them, MSU, Wisc, Neb, and tsun to be strong and relevant!

+6 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

They can have our leftovers.

+2 HS
bigDbuck's picture

It's a lot about perception buksfan. We need wisc to beat lsu and MSU to beat ducks (won't happen). If the rest of big ten sucks ass (like it has for 15 years) then buckeyes get zero respect. Also, I've always found that better competition makes you better. 

+2 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

So if he goes to PSU and beats OSU, you'll be happy about that?

Never feel sorry for your competition.

-2 HS
BuckeyeQ6's picture

I'd still prefer to play in the best conference (though we're far from that).  If we can't beat a Wimbush-lead PSU, how could we compete with the top teams in the country?

+3 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Birm if he does come on the 23rd. Do you see him hanging here till FNL ON THE 25th that would help our chances greatly as well????

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+2 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

Let's hope he's coming as a WR prospect...

-1 HS
AJBor41's picture

Let's hope he's coming to OSU...and then let our coaching staff make the call.

+36 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

Haha, I knew that would get down voted. What I left unsaid is I like Joe Burrow as our only qb in this class. If Torrance comes, great. I'd just like to see Burrow as our only qb in the class. 

+2 HS
Kid Buckeye's picture

Bring that talent to the good guys.

MAVBuck's picture

Birm, buying any condiments for your shoes or dont you think this will play out?

+3 HS

Have I stated I'd eat my shoes in Gibson makes a visit? I'll need to be refreshed. 

Grayskullsession's picture

I think crow would be more appropriate, but I don't remember Birm saying Gibson wouldn't visit.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+3 HS
irishfury's picture

You think Cornell and Hillard played a part in this?

Jbuckham94's picture

Don't believe so. If I remember, the eating your shoe bet was in reference to Waller getting an offer, or ending up a Buckeye.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+8 HS
GABuckeye's picture

I think you guys are thinking of Travis Waller.  

MAVBuck's picture

No no, I shouldve clarified. Do you think if/when he visits it plays out that OSU gets back in it and he possibly commits?

theopulas's picture

don't think you did on Gibson....but all this on schools moving on from him i don't see it.....Mr. JB...if he visits, do you think we move up on his list...seems to be a kid looking for a school.....

Theopulas

+1 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

Gibson or no Gibson, we need guys like Hilliard and Cornell to keep taking the lead on trying to recruit for this class.  With Friday Night Lights coming up I hope to get a few more key verbal commits in the coming weeks.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

Gibson come on down!

lets go bucks!!

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Sure!

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Patriot4098's picture

I love redheads. ^^ This one is my favorite.

+2 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

Who is this Torrance Gibson character everyone seems to be talking about?

+7 HS
TraSmith4's picture

He was hurt and put down a 40 as fast as Damien Harris... can't tell me people won't forget about all of his shenanigans when he gets on the field and takes one to the house.

+5 HS
OSU069's picture

And he ran that 40 on a sprained ankle. 

Buckeye On Elba's picture

Though I realize this is true, part of me is optimistic this will go the way of the Nick Bosa/Bill Brasky thread. 

And he was running in work boots!

+4 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

If Gibson ends up at OSU he'll get a couple of years to try QB and if he doesn't improve he will be moved to WR. I think he ends up at WR no matter where he goes. 

+2 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

I think you give him a shot at QB, if it doesn't pan out you move him.

+6 HS

That's the point I was trying to make. I'm just saying, I think in the end he finishes his college career as a WR. 

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Jalin Marshall'd.

+2 HS

I dont think Marshall ever took a snap at QB once he got to OSU. Gibson refuses to be recruited by schools who want him at WR. 

kicks's picture

Marshall was recruited as an athlete.  He knew going to tOSU he would be a WR from the start.

+4 HS

Correct..Marshall participated at camps and such as a WR and knew through the whole process he was going to be a WR/H-weapon. Gibson is hellbent on being a QB and doesnt even want to associate with schools that view him as a WR. Honestly I hope it works out for the young man but I think he is making a HUGE mistake. He has Randy Moss type measurables at the WR position and would be a surefire NFLer.

jamesrbrown322's picture

He'll likely get a whole year as a redshirt to do nothing but learn OSU's offense and the QB position within it. If it does not work out, he'll still have plenty of eligibility to learn H-Back/Wideout. In Meyer's offense, without a doubt, you want your best overall athlete either at QB or the "Tedd Ginn 2.0" position.

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

So call it the Dontre or the "D2" or anything except Percy Harvin

UFM_Renewal

jamesrbrown322's picture

Fixed.

+1 HS
zebiraross's picture

The one huge advantage we have is honestly telling him we want him as qb. He's not coming here (or anywhere else) if he thinks they are ultimately going to put him in as a reciever. UA is (or was) probably recruiting him as qb. No way Tennessee is recruiting him as a qb despite what Butch is telling him.

Zeb

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

If there are any football nerds on here who love to watch tape it's pretty clear that Gibson is a very "special talent" and "athlete". That being said the 3 QB's in the '16 class who like Ohio State (Haskins, Pass & Guarantano) all 3 are already better passers than Gibson is. I would love to get 2 out of those 3 next year but if Gibson commits that might not happen. I guess that is when the old saying of "in Urban we trust" comes into play :) Take them all if you can get em! Imagine Harris at RB and Kirk and Gibson split out at WR!

Woodshed's picture

There is 100% no way that any team ever gets 2 of those 3 16' QB's in the same class.

TraSmith4's picture

You may be right about that which is why I don't mind taking Gibson and I love both Burrow and Clark so adding any of these guys in my opinion will just add to what will most likely end up being the best stable of QB's in Ohio State history. I'm seriously excited for our future at the QB position! No more Bauserman scenarios!

+2 HS

I  think the real question is here, does Torrance Gibson have a sec or B1G ass? Answer that question and we will know his true destination.

-2 HS
MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Now that there seems to be some reasonable interest in Ohio State anyone care to speculate on which position he will play? I know you guys are tired of mobile QBs but I'd love to see him play under center if he chose to commit.

+2 HS
Nutty's picture

So there are rumors Auburn, and maybe Tennessee, have quit on him. If so, why? IF Sec teams have stopped recruiting him shouldn't we all be alarmed?

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

Tenn has a QB committed and another player that they told will get a chance to play QB.

auburn has a QB commit and think they will get one of Francois or locksley. 

It makes perfect sense for both teams to stop recruiting him if he continually insists on playing QB.

+5 HS
Phickell's picture

Rumors 

media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/529/969/2969529.jpg

SilverState's picture

Reminds me of a bad prank call. He needs to connect with Bass to see how it's done.

+1 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

That's crazy if true...

Jabba1977's picture

I would love to see ohio state land him!!

SECHATER77

+3 HS
Gametime's picture

Part of this just reeks of desperation for us though. Like we're almost TOO willing to gamble on Torrance Gibson. He has an elite talent which to be frank, is NOT larger than his EGO. Not a knock on him, you've GOT to have an EGO in this game! (The kids call it SWAG these days)  

The risk reward here is definitely a true 50/50 black and white outcome: Either he's an amazing all time college football player or he ends up like a spawn of Michael Vick in a more durable package.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

Why would we be desperate? We have a solid QB committed in Burrow and 3 great QB prospects strongly considering us for 2016.

+2 HS
Gametime's picture

Not so much talking about the staff/OSU, but us here at 11Wers, lol, (should've specified). It seemed like most people were cooling on Gibson and happy with Burrow, with sentiments that we want accurate QBs who can sling the rock.

So I'm really speaking to the hope that he would be willing to realize his full potential as a football player; which in the end he could evolve into an amazing QB and all time great, change positions and do the same, or  simply be wasted talent.

With the QBs we're looking at, I could only imagine what it would be like for a true gunslinger to be in this offense with these kind of weapons.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

BuckeyeJ's picture

Still like Burrow!! He earned his offer and I think will be one of those rare finds! IMO they all will sit behind JT. Which is good, it will give Collier and Burrow time to develop. 

bbb's picture

you're being a bit melodramatic

+4 HS
WezBuck28's picture

If he is as big a "game changer" as I'm understanding he is, regardless the situation with who stops recruiting him for whatever reason, I want that dude suiting up for my team on Saturdays..I'll take the speed and talent any day of the week..call me desperate, call me whatever u want, only thing that matters is the score once the clock runs out..

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Agreed. Gibsons talent is off the charts. Very elusive in the open field and faster straight line speed than Braxton on top of being 6'5".  

+2 HS
AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

You sure? Braxton is pretty fast in a straight line as well. Would be interesting to see.

OSU069's picture

I think Braxton is definitely fast, but I don't think he's a burner. He is the best running g QB I've seen because of his elusiveness but he does get caught from behind sometimes. I think at the combine next year he will probably run like a 4.5. Gibson ran a 4.47 on a sprains ankle. 

+1 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Miller has insane acceleration, I think Gibson has a higher top speed.

+4 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

I don't read much in terms of the 40s at The Opening. Nike is about hype, and those times aren't realistic. Not saying this for Gibson specifically, but compare those times across positions to the NFL combine. If those are accurate, those guys are ready for the NFL now.

+2 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

No WAY Miller "only" runs a 4.5.  If he doesn't run in the 4.4s, someone else on this site will eat their shoe.

OSU069's picture

You might be right. I personally don't think he is in the 4.4s but he could be. We will find out at the combine next year. 

TraSmith4's picture

Fast without pads on and in a straight line can be one thing but fast with pads on and in multiple directions can be another... just ask anyone who tried to cover Jerry Rice.

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

There is no way Braxton runs anything higher than a 4.55. I personally think he will run a 4.58 or a 4.59, but or maybe in the 4.6's. If you go back and look at the tapes, Braxton has never been that fast. He is very quick and agile but not fast. 

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Khalil Mack ran a 4.65 at the combine.  I don't know if he's faster than Braxton Miller or not, but I remember Miller not being able to catch him from behind.

+3 HS
BullCityBuckeye's picture

No disrespect to either player, but I believe Khalil Mack had a decent head start to the endzone corner after intercepting Miller's pass. I will have to look at that play again to be sure (so I could be inserting foot in mouth).

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Nor do I mean any disrespect.  Braxton Miller is fast enough to have rushed for 3,054 and 32 TDs so far in his Buckeye career. It's the performance on the field that tells the story, not what a player does in short pants at some combine.

+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Im going with 4.32

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Roby and Shazier didn't run close to those times at the combine though. The home clock is always a little fast.

-1 HS

Robys combine 4.39 is blazing fast. Shaziers pro day time was also blazing fast, Shazier didnt run at the combine because of a pulled hammy.

CincyOSU's picture

4.39 is blazing fast...but it's considerably slower(I use the term slow loosely) than 4.26. I was wrong about Shazier, I had him mixed up with another player. My main point is not that OSU players are slow...only that the home clock is always faster that what players end up "officially" running.

-2 HS

Its widely known  that tOSU has one of the fastest tracks to time 40's on. Anything that is timed here in Columbus you can go ahead and add .10-.15 too and get a fairly accurate number.

+3 HS
BullCityBuckeye's picture

Upvote for you, Ahh Saturday.  Agree 100%.  

I don't know how fast is, but as you indicated...he is definitely "plenty fast enough" in pads on the playing field.  I wouldn't trade his combination of agility (wow, just wow) and acceleration for anything...except maybe a tad more throwing accuracy:-).  Regardless, I am completely excited watching him play again in less than two months.  Go Bucks!

saltybuck61's picture

Dontre Wilson runs a 4.5 laser timed, so it would surprise me if Miller is faster. Well, at least he did when he went to run at The Opening back in high school. He could have definitely gained some speed though. Miller is shifty for sure, but I would be very impressed with a 4.4.

Braxton Miller will run lower then a 4.55. If I had to put money on it I would say mid to low 4.4's..Unless he is injured of course or tries to pack on weight and strength for the combine.

Compare Roby's time on this board to his official combine time then add that same time to Braxs board time.

bucks15's picture

NFL combine official times: Roby- 4.39, Shazier- n/a, Philly Brown- 4.51, Stoneburner- 4.65, Hyde- 4.66.

I think it's safe to say these posted times favor the player.  Based on this and watching Miller live, i'd expect him to run somewhere around a 4.55.  

Brown was a plus .11...Roby a plus .13 But you want to add .22 because the heavier Hyde and heavier Stoneburner added over a plus.20? Also Shazier did run at his pro day and reeled in a nice 4.36. Just wondering why you want to add the times of the heavier players which would be effected more and not the guys closer to Braxtons actual times and weight? Wouldnt it be just as easy to say you would expect Brax to run a 4.43 and use Browns differential?

+1 HS
bucks15's picture

Fair points, but here's my reasoning.  For one, Braxton has a lot more of a running back build as compared to a quarterback.  He is listed at 6'2 and 215 lbs, he's built more like a thick running back than sprinter.  Number 2, Braxton hardly pulls away from people for a guy who would run in the mid 4.4's.  Don't get me wrong, he is a great runner with shiftiness and acceleration but I think his true speed is overrated.  I guess we'll see at the combine.  

Shazier ran a 4.36 at his pro day and didnt run at combine because of a tweaked hammy.Roby ran a 4.39 at the combine. Thats a +.13 for Roby. Would bring Brax up to a 4.45 which should be about correct.If he runs at pro day on the  faster track he should be under a 4.4 flat.

Seattle Linga's picture

I knew Roby was fast - I just never knew he was 4.26 fast. Where will Wilson and Samuel fit in with these numbers?

Crimson's picture

On one day, Roby was hand timed at 4.26.  He probably isn't that fast on 99.8% of days, but that's what the numbers say.  It's likely that players are at least 0.1 seconds slower than their personal best, but Wilson and Samuel could hit a personal best of around 4.3.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

We all unfortunetly witnessed how fast Roby was tracking down players from behind the last 3 years. We could have all done without that. 

+4 HS
Mercurius's picture

Any word if his visit is confirmed yet?

+3 HS
SilverState's picture

Anyone heard anything? Staff maybe?

Woodshed's picture

I really am not trying to be the thread police, but I am sure the MINUTE anyone knows anything for sure that it will be posted.

continually bumping the thread doesn't make the info come any faster.

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

Didn't expect it to bring the news any faster. Just thought it odd hadn't heard anything with the potential visit 3 days away.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I hope we get Harris!!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

UrbzRenewal's picture

FWIW, his 247 profile has him visiting here on 7/25 (FNL). I assume that was the VIP info in the bolt that BN just published about TG.

buckeyeguy0615's picture

He is supposed to be here Wednesday, so does this mean he will stay through FNL? That would be a hell of a visit!

OSU069's picture

So is he now visiting for FNL? Because that would be huge! 

From what I saw on Twitter... He is visiting for FNL, but he is NOT working out. 

buckeyeguy0615's picture

You think he'll be here Wednesday and visit through FNL?

SilverState's picture

That would be awesome.

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

The plan right now is he's arriving Thursday night or Friday morning and staying until Sunday

Class of '16

+2 HS
SilverState's picture

Know you this how? :)

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

I'm glad he finally found a way to get to C-Bus. He has a huge opportunity at OSU if he wants it.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

he will attend Friday Night Lights 

lets go bucks!!

Dublin68's picture
+5 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Anyone going to be there and able to record some stuff?

Buck my Nuts's picture

Weathering all the drama with this kid...Step 1

Getting him on campus for a visit...Step 2

Weather more drama until signing day, regardless if he verbals early...Step 3

Have his signature on signing day...INEVITABLE!!!

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

PROFIT... Step 4

+2 HS