Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Jerome Baker....

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
July 6, 2014 at 11:30pm
190 Comments

Guys, I know many of you saw my tweet from earlier, but if you didn't, here it is:

Now, I know there's a train of thought that says it's just a suspense-building move by Baker's camp, but in my time talking with Jerome I've never really picked up the "game playing" vibe from him as he's always been very honest with assessment of things. I've heard from a couple of different people close to the OSU side of things and they're (Ohio State) definitely not feeling as confident as you'd think they would be in this situation.

With less than 5 days until a decision, Baker's up in the air, and although I'll keep my Buckeye "Crystal Ball" pick until the end here, I'm legitimately thinking Florida could be the eventual winner. DJ Durkin, Florida's LB coach, is from Ohio and has done a good job cultivating his relationship with Baker and numbers at the position definitely favor the Gators. If Baker's family gets on board with Florida, that would be a huge, huge swing in the Fighting Muschamp's direction. 

buckeyeguy0615's picture

I felt like I was the only one who thought it was odd that he wasn't making very many trips here when he lives in-state.

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+6 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Not bummed he could leave, bummed that tool Muschump could take one of our best.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+7 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

I'm hoping in the end the distance keeps him home

Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates. Football is no different, the guys down in the trenches win the games, not the coach.            

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Even if he does pick UF on the 11th, he'll be a Buckeye by NSD.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Interesting.  Has UFM taken over his recruitment?  With less than a week left before he decides I wonder what kinds of questions the staff could answer for the young man that would help their cause.  I imagine UFM is very adept at understanding what's important from one recruit to the next, whether it's academics, PT opps, or hell, maybe housing.

Groveport_Buckeye's picture

I've got a bad feeling about this one.

-1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Birm...if baker does choose florida, what does that mean in terms of LB recruiting? Does the staff call it a wrap with hilliard and conner and look to add depth to another position group? Or would they put more focus on other LB targets?

TheBadOwl's picture

Maybe we'll finally offer Nick Conner...

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+17 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Well shit, are we still in the game with Anzalone?

+17 HS
avail31678's picture

Well, shoot.

I guess I understand....we have gotten loads of LB talent lately, and Florida's cupboards are more bare (probably Urban's fault).

Would love this kid, but it's a tough decision.  (It's actually not, just pick OSU).

+7 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

I respect Birm's evaluation. But I just have a hard time believing that anyone would want to play for Musch.

+4 HS
Posterchild's picture

I don't know if you are referring to Muschamp's chameleon-esque ability to change color when he screams, but most coaches yell and scream so I doubt many players are going to be deterred from playing for someone because they get angry from time to time. From a defense perspective, I can see why he would want to play there. It wasn't long ago he was considered one of the best defensive minds in CFB. Plus I believe he was a LB coach on top of that. Either way, I hope he ends up choosing OSU in the end, but I couldn't blame him if he chooses to play in the Sunshine State.

KingsRite's picture

We are stacked at LB. Not really worried about it. Scott and Harris at RB. Everything will be just fine. :)

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+1 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

you're right, but depth can change very very quickly at a position.  and LB is the position UFM has repeatedly lamented about in terms of misses in recruiting.  and you just never know who is going to develop and who is not, especially at such a skilled/important position (Curtis Grant).  So IMO he is still important despite Kwon, Hilliard & Co.

+2 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture
-10 HS
BuckeyeLurker0509's picture

He must be in love with Gainesville and UF (and as an 18 year old, who wouldnt?)  because this is the year Muschamp gets canned.

Mark it down. BurkeyeLurker0509 said it on July 7th.

+5 HS
allbucksallthetime's picture

I agree that Muschamp is gone after this year at UF.  The decline in that program, in combination with the tremendous work being done at OSU, has to serve as a constant reminder to Gators everywhere just how good life was just a few short years ago under UM.  

I wish Jerome Baker well if he does commit and enroll at UF.  I'm also confident and excited that Elite15 will be just that when the dust settles next February.  Go Bucks!

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

As a former Florida resident trust me when I say that there is absolutely nothing special about Gainesville except for a butterfly exhibit, the Hippodrome, the UF Campus and the scenery (women) on the UF Campus other than that it's a pretty boring place! Miami is muuuuch more entertaining than Gainesville and Tallahassee is just as entertaining as Gainesville depending on your tastes. Muschamp has always been a very good recruiter but that does not always translate to being a good head coach.

gobucks96's picture

The last item on your list can be a huge factor.... 

Here's hoping the coaching staff can convince him of the roster need for LB's..

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

a very good recruiter but that does not always translate to being a good head coach.

And the winner of the Ron Zook award goes to.....

+6 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I personally don't understand the appeal of any Ohio boy playing for Florida - although I see wanting to live there.  

Go Bucks!

+2 HS

Eh, Gainesville is out in the middle of nowhere. It's not like UF is on the beach.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+3 HS
FLBuckeye22's picture

My thoughts exactly! Glad I read this before posting...

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Just meant warm vs cold.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
OSUClub_Baseball27's picture

I've played baseball against UF down in Gainesville the past two years. Nothing special at all besides warmer weather.

People can call me biased but the campus wasn't exactly beautiful and as stated above, it is in the middle of nowhere. At the end of the day, I only hope Baker makes the decision he feels is best for him. 

Also... Canes > Zaxbys'

+3 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

I had a feeling he was going to Florida. I know it's not official yet but in about every picture he posts he is wearing a   gator hat lol and yes I know don't base everything off of twitter or Instagram but still he never wears osu gear. He's too quiet about everything so it makes me nervous. 

-4 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I want to urge you not to use the word "retarded" to mean "stupid" or any other connotation. It's an inappropriate word choice and very offensive, particularly to those of us who have loved ones with development disabilities and special needs 

+14 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

I'm extremely sorry I fixed it. I didn't mean it in any offense to anybody, I just took it out all together. 

+12 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Thanks! I appreciate the way you handled that

+6 HS

He's too quiet about everything so it makes me nervous. 

I guess that means you freaked out about Lattimore and Smith before they committed.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
Crimson's picture

I guess that means you freaked out about Lattimore and Smith before they committed

to Kentucky.

+8 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

Not as much. Mainly bc they were Glenville guys so I knew they would be buckeyes but I was alittle nervous to see how much Bama was offering to pay them for sure. Baker isn't from Glenville so it's alittle different but hopefully it's just give him trying to get people to think he's going to Florida to create suspense. 

-3 HS
Hayze's picture

I don't know...still not buying it.

Kid had a recent death in the family, then he moves up his decision. Been quoted saying the most important thing is finding a place that feels like home. Then is quoted in another article saying the thing he loves most about OSU is that it feels like home to him.

His family are all Buckeye fans and love OSU. He's been here way more than any other school (only been to UF once). I just don't see it.

I'll be shocked if he's not a Buckeye Friday and on Signing Day.

+4 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

If you recall, when it came time for Sh'Mar Kilby-Lane to make his choice, the family and Florida State had all "sold" him on the idea that while yes, Ohio State was a great school, great football program, a place you felt confident and comfortable, you had all those same things at Florida State and it wasn't half a country away.

I think Ohio State needs to work a similar angle with Baker. Florida's direction here is simple: branch out, be your own man, don't go with the crowd, etc. Ohio State needs to underscore that in this case, going with the homestate school is a better business decision and a better personal decision.

brunstar's picture

Come to Gainesville and be you're own man at a dumster fire in the southern part of the country.

I'm not buying UF as his choice.

+15 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Birm, one has to wonder if promises of earlier playing time has also been in the calling cards for Baker from UF.  Not sure if this angle was played to Baker or if he is the type of kid to be greatly influenced by this carrot [this is complete guessing on my part though, since I have no clue what UF's depth chart looks like].  

All in all, I wish him the best at whatever he should choose for himself.  

On a somewhat related note, and given that we have a solid class in the making, I've been focused more on how our coaches rank in developing these recruits, since I see depth being the only true separator between the top SEC programs and tOSU.  If you take the Mich St's of the world and see what they do with 2-3 star talent, it makes you wonder if the coaches are doing enough to develop the talent we have.  Immediate exceptions to my guessing game are coaches Warinner, LJS, Hinton, and Hermann from the standpoint of providing a >80% confidence factor.  Everyone else is <80% to me at the moment (Urban being exempt)... Ash has to prove himself, Coombs is hard to evaluate, Fickell is a toss-up since he has had good and bad seasons, and Zach Smith has yet to earn kudos for developing (vs recruiting).

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
EDUGOON's picture

Honestly I'd like to have Baker, but we got our guy earlier in the week!!!! Matched with current talent and incoming talent this won't be as big a blow to the Bucks as one may think. ((Kanye Shurg))

"We Don't Believe You, You Need More People"- Hova #GOBUCKS #FreeElGuapo #Famthik

-1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

No

Watch his highlight tape again

+8 HS
Buckeye Beast's picture

You can't even blame him. He's just a teenager. We've been recruiting LB pretty good, lots of competition now. Florida develops their defensive talent pretty well, & I'll go on record to say that I think their facilities are the 2nd best behind Oregon. At least until Osu makes the inevitable upgrades.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere, & Michigan still sucks

Groveport Heisman's picture

Thats funny because I posted how I felt Florida would snatch Jerome up and got DVed in oblivion. Oh well,some people just dont want to accept bad news no matter who delivers it. Baker is the top prospect in Ohio hands down.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
rosenbuck's picture

I think you're forgetting about Justin Hilliard...

+4 HS
seafus26's picture

Baker would push Florida over the edge. They'd no longer lose to sub division 1 football teams. Who would be his coach for 4 years after Muschamp is fired. If he's thinking florida he must be comfortable with who he thinks next coach will be.

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+2 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

No way he moved up his announcement to commit to Floriduh...!

Gooz-fra-bah...

+2 HS
Boxley's picture

I agree, why pick Florida now! Wait until the end of the season and see if they are any good or not. If they are NOT good, and that ends up being the case, there will be a whole new coaching staff at Florida prior to his arrival. He will not know them or maybe like any of them. Florida makes zero sense at this time for him, prior to the this years season performance. Way too many variables up in the air.

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

won't be the end of the world. Would be a surprise, but given the landscape of the 2015 recruiting cycle, no one should be that shocked.

+1 HS
LouGroza's picture

Schools will be pushing playing time/rosters now against OSU. Florida is desperate for LBs from what I read. They can sell playing time. Who knows if that is enough to get Baker there. That is the price you pay for recruiting multiple great players the way Urban does. Yes, Alabama does it, but they do lose players occasionally because of it, too. Let's hope Baker stays home.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Yeah, I say he stays home. Maybe that's wishful thinking but I say OSU wins this one. He's Ohio's best player according to many. He'll play early if he's good enough...so I'm not sure depth is a serious concern. I like that Hilliard stayed & said he wasn't scared of the competition - I don't think Baker will be either. I have to think OSU has been recruiting him as hard as anyone else. Fingers crossed but I think this ends well for OSU.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+6 HS
jonping67's picture

Poison Nuts - I think you are spot on! Baker is a stud and depth at his position should not be a concern if he plans on being an NFL caliber LB. I think the competition would work in his favor.
Perry, Lee, McMillan, Booker, Hilliard and Baker sounds like a good rotation unit to me.

+1 HS
FLBuckeye22's picture

I'm a really big fan of Baker's. If you're teaching a young kid how to play the game, you turn on his film. He's a very good football player. That being said, he plays two positions of which we have great depth...and we are in on many more recruits than we have room for, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if he went elsewhere. I hate losing the #2 player in Ohio, but I'd rather lose him south than to another midwest program. His recruitment isn't over, however; and I'm not convinced he doesn't pick the Buckeyes. I agree w/ Birm that this could end up being a situation similar to Kilby-Lane's.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I HATE seeing Midwest talent go South, and especially when it is a Buckeye target. Hopefully he comes to Columbus, but if not, I'll still be rooting for an Ohio kid to make good in the SEC, and prove that there's such a thing as "Ohio speed" as well. Hope to see him suiting up for the Buckeyes in 2015-16 College Football Playoff, which is something that he'll likely NEVER see at Florida.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Barnsey69's picture

I would rather have Baker than not, and I despise any positives where the Gators are concerned, but in the end if he doesn't go to OSU that helps the staff with the numbers game.

Also agree with Birm, working the home-state angle makes a lot of sense. His family will want to see him play, and regardless if financially they can afford to travel frequently to do that, traveling all the time just plain sucks.

The starting rotation at LB for the next 3 years is going to be exceptional, but including Baker makes it a step above exceptional.

GO BUCKS!!!

I am a modern-art masterpiece.

+1 HS
actionstanleyjackson's picture

You can be your own man no matter where you go...1000 miles away or 200. Distance has nothing to do with it. I think UF is driving the point home that he is their #1 LB target and at OSU he is would be the third guy in the class. 

Not sure it is real smart to hitch your wagon to Florida right now, Their class is pretty weak, they have a coach who is not very good...Just don't see the attraction at Florida other than the weather. I know he likes Durkin, but Durkin will be gone sooner than later for a bigger job and Muschamp will be fired after he loses 6 games this year

I like Baker and losing him would suck. Osu was smart about getting Conner in the fold and if they take just 2 LBs they will be ok. 

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

+3 HS
Nick's picture

I wouldn't say sweltering heat is a plus. If your going to have that heat at least live near the beach. Not in hickville.

+4 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I have this weird feeling that Birm is doing Jerome a favor by stiring the pot a little bit before his decision so there is some suspense and more joyful excitement when he does pick the good guys. Everyone assumes he is coming to Columbus, he's been called a lean, lock, etc. I'm gonna assume Baker slipped Birm a 20 in internet dollars and told him to report some "Baker interested in Florida" mess.

You aint foolin me Birmingham, you aint foolin me!!

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+10 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

A Bitcoin controversy??

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

20 internet? That's like...at least  $23.72 American!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

I can maybe see it and fingers crossed you're on to something!  Even if he does commit to Florida, I wouldn't be surprised if he flips if they shit the bed like last year.

RunEddieRun1983's picture

Jerome baker is that pick that makes the rich just that much more richer.  I would love to have a stud LB from Ohio in this class, but we are already doing great things in recruiting so if he picks Florida and wants to play one year for a coach who won't be there next year, well that's his choice

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+2 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Sick em Urbs

Gooz-fra-bah...

FROMTHE18's picture

you would love to have a stud LB from Ohio in this class?….two words: Justin Hilliard….

+3 HS
saltybuck61's picture

Nick Connor too. All of the linebackers from the 2015 class could be from Ohio if everything goes as planned.

RunEddieRun1983's picture

Sorry, should have said ANOTHER my bad.  I didn't intentionally disregard Justin or Nick.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

theopulas's picture

i think in 4 years at OSU, Baker will be a 1st rd pick in the NFL draft....

Theopulas

Grayskullsession's picture

Lets see......

or

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+24 HS
Habu71's picture

Wow! When put that way the choice isn't difficult at all. 

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Its a long way to NSD. Anything can happen and if the Bucks come out on fire and have a great year and Florida has a predictable year for them then you'd have to love OSU's chances at getting Baker back even if he commits to UF. Until they sign the dotted line, their recruitment doesn't end. 

+1 HS
Nick_Satan's picture

Like i have always said I don't follow recruiting as much as a lot of people.  But could this mean that OSU is more in with the Harris kid from KY? and maybe Baker just see's a lot of clutter in the future at the RB position for ohio state?  I wouldn't blame him. I'm sure he isn't afraid of competition but with a bunch of running backs on the roster in the next few years. Maybe he would be doing whats best for him. IDK 

I am German so english is not my first language. Even though grammar Nazi's like to point out my mistakes all the time. It makes them feel better about them self.

Baker will be a linebacker in college - no worries, you don't follow recruiting as close as some of us creeps :)

+5 HS
BroJim's picture

We need Baker in this class

I season my simple food with hunger

+4 HS
PresidentMeyer88's picture
I think Baker is just keeping his options open, but in the end, trust Urban. He'll choose Ohio State.

Mike Hunt

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

Urban did choose Ohio State.  He's the coach.

+15 HS
PresidentMeyer88's picture

Haha obviously. I was talking about Jerome Baker.

Mike Hunt

+1 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Justin, Jashon, it's your time to shine.

+5 HS
lljjgg's picture

Obviously you know this is news that we didn't want to hear, but needed to hear anyway, so I appreciate you sharing your info/insight with us as always Birm!

Steve Wiltfong parroted essentially what you said here over on 247 today, so now I've heard it from the two recruiting writers I generally respect the most (you two rarely if ever speak on something unless you're absolutely positive). On the upside, he likewise said he's keeping his CB pick on OSU.

Personally, I just think: why move your decision up to the 11th if you're going to choose the Gators? You have forever to choose the Gators, they have no LB recruits in this class. OSU's LB class, meanwhile, is starting to get full. Why tell Bill Kurelic you're absolutely going to OSU's Friday Night Lights if you plan to commit elsewhere right before it? Why call OSU home in an article recently, and say that you're looking for a place that feels like home, if you plan to leave home and go all the way out to Florida? You can read anything you want into this sort of stuff, but I'm still feeling pretty confident he's going to make the obvious choice and go with OSU at the end of the day.

+4 HS
Sweetbuckeye's picture

He has already decided, so for right now it's very unlikely he changes his mind this late before he announces.

I think folks need to come to terms that he will likely pick Florida.  Everything right now is pointing to Florida.

-2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

please elaborate as to what you mean by 'everything'? Because making a statement like that needs to be supported with some form of evidence or even just an argument and all you've done is make a prediction and just use 'everything' as your support. So, what signs show him going to florida? 

+7 HS
BuckinBama's picture

What exactly is everything though?

+2 HS
Boxley's picture

Okay ,what is this everything you mention? Being as today was the first whispers I have seen concerning Baker even considering any other school seriously.

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Look if there is ONE guy who knows EXACTLY what the differences are in Gainesville and in Columbus it is Urban Meyer. Maybe he just wants some if the love that Justin Hilliard got from BuckeyeNation and he felt like he was getting more of it from Florida but in the end if he makes a decision where he uses both his head and his heart I think he stays in Ohio. If not then everybody here can blame Luke Fickell ;)

BTBuckeye's picture
+18 HS
razrback16's picture

I love watching that team suck.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Dude on the 1 yard line from Georgia Southern looks D.O.A.

+2 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Once the big boys start changing their Crystal Balls (putting their money where there mouth is, so to speak), I'll worry. Until then, Buckeye. Another 247 writer cast another CB for OSU today.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

They let them win with zero completions.... 

+2 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

I never caught that before. Gold Jerry!

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

Puke.  That's a funny word.  Can I use that?

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Here is an oldie but a goody.

+1 HS
CC's picture

I was at that game.  I think there was roughly 40k fans there.  I think the stadium holds 92k and it wasn't half full.

I said I thought Muschamp wasn't a very good coach before the game, one of the UF women we were with supported him.  When we returned after the game the first thing she said to me when she walked in the door was "fire him".

jedkat's picture

It's so wrong, but I cracked up over the girl in the pink Bikini. She got knocked the F*** out, oh man...

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+2 HS
s.pasadena fl's picture

Living in FLORIDA I have not heard a word on Baker committing here?  I ask a simple question, why move your decision up to come here?  You move it up to get on board and help out the others in building a better class!  Trust me, their coach is really on "thin ice". Unless Urban Meyer is coming back to Florida ha ha  he should be a buckeye!  I would be more concerned if it was ND.or Penn State.Well see on the 11th.

Ed Hopper

+3 HS
305Buck's picture

Tennessee 247 Insider put in a CB for Baker to Ohio State this morning.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

If I was the worlds most talented hacker the first thing I would do is hack that site and delete that entire feature.

+2 HS
sharks's picture

A ton of journos picked Cornell and Hilliard to OSU in the days prior to their decisions.  I think guys with no info just run with the crowd when the decision nears to try to keep their percentages up.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

305Buck's picture

The one thing they recently changed about the crystal ball is that picks are locked in 24 hours before a recruit is set to announce.

buckguyfan1's picture

The Baker will be joining The Chef.

+11 HS
teddyballgame's picture
+3 HS
osupolo's picture
+1 HS
Bluke221's picture

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

I attended two years of grad school in Gainesville (sorry Buckeyes) and still live here.  I can tell you it IS in the middle of nowhere and VERY lame.  There are literally only a handful of places to hangout.

+2 HS
CC's picture

I've been there a few times (obviously not as much as you) and from my limited experience (2 college football gamedays and about 3 other days total) i thought it was fun.  Unfortunately for OSU Baker was there about as much as I, not as much as you.  All places can seem great for 24 hours especially when there are thousands of girls walking around in sun dresses.

sharks's picture

So if he wears jean shorts to his presser, we should prepare for the worst

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+16 HS
305Buck's picture

Just read that a poster on another site close to the situation thinks Baker will likely choose Florida because he has built a close relationship with their LB coach Durkin who's from Ohio, and he hasn't really built a good one with Fickell.

This really sucks, I think Fickell may have been spending so much time working SKL and Hilliard that he didn't have the chance to build a good relationship with Baker yet because most expected Baker to announce after his season was over.

+1 HS

Are you sure the poster wasn't Bassdropper?

+9 HS
Boxley's picture

No, it was an article on the other site "Wiltfong" releasing an interview he had with Baker last night. Wilt states that Baker is still undecided.

As I posted earlier it absolutely makes no sense for Baker to pick Florida now. Bad decision given the pending coaching changes if Florida poops their pants again this year. If it is the coach that is getting him to commit now, he should wait until January to commit so that he can follow Durkin to his new college.

Whomever is advising Baker needs to get their head out of their butt and tell him to wait until the end of the season if he is considering commiting to any school other than tOSU.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Muschamp probably gets one more year, b/c if you look at their schedule, you can find 8 wins. They'll lost to any good team that they play, but with how bad the SEC East will be this year, 8-9 wins is not out of the question.

CC's picture

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment.  They lost to Georgia Southern last year and i see no reason they get better this year other than they can't get much worse.

Sure Loss:
FSU, LSU, Bama, Georgia

Probable Loss: South Carolina, Tennessee (Butch>Will), Mizzou

Toss Up: Vandy, UK

Probable Win: Idaho, EMU, EKU

jamesrbrown322's picture

If Baker, according to 247, did indeed officially have OSU as his leader on June 20, isn't it strange for UF to make up so much ground so quickly, all allegedly due to Fickell not showing him enough love? It seems to me by June 20, SKL had decided by then, and OSU was already in the lead, so all that was left was to maintain and seal the deal.

One thing's for sure, he'll see the field earlier at UF, given their woes. However, Muschamp and Durkin probably will not be there by the time Baker is a Junior.

It certainly would sting to lose yet another player that many thought was a heavy OSU lean. However, one has to remember that as of June 20, many thought the Buckeyes weren't going to get Hilliard or Cornell.

Sounds like we may need yet another #FireFickell thread.

+2 HS
Eph97's picture

And Fickell gets paid a boatload of money to do what? If he can't even reel in a LB prospect from Cleveland he's not doing his job. Yes, he got Hilliard, but lets not act he's going beyond his paygrade for what he does.

-10 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

And they better can whoever allowed Jameis Winston to get away from Alabama! That guy has NO IDEA what he's doing! 

lljjgg's picture

A Florida 247 poster is claiming Bill Greene thinks UF for Baker. If true, not good. Greene (Scout OSU writer) is typically pretty accurate/dialed in.

Jbuckham94's picture

Poop.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

Soggy_McMuffin's picture

I believe 100% Baker is a Buckeye!!! JMO

Gooz-fra-bah...

+3 HS
MoBucks's picture

I believe Muschamp was the one who recruited Jordan Hicks to Texas.

kmoe

sox33osu's picture

The state of Texas was the one who recruited Hicks to Texas. He grew up there and it sounded like he wanted to go back.

+3 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Hey don't worry guys.  I will make sure to tweet him about 20 times a day to make sure he understands that OSU is the way to go.  Anybody got any pictures of pre-teen girls in OSU gear I can attach to them?

Too sarcastic for my very first post??  If so, I might be in trouble.  Glad to have finally joined in on the best site on these here interwebs.  Took me long enough.

+16 HS

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

I mean unless he's worried about our depth chart at LB, Idk why he would want to go play for a dumpster fire team like Florida who lost to an FCS team last year that did not complete one pass the entire game and beat them entirely running the ball. To me that sums up the linebacker and defensive coaching at UF allowing 430 yards rushing and almost 8 yards/ carry against an FCS team. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

They got beaten up playing in the SEC, which is tantamount to playing in the NFL week in and week out. So, naturally they were to injured and exhausted to handle that GSU running game.

+1 HS
thowen79's picture

...not to mention they didn't play Stanford football.

+4 HS
lljjgg's picture

The relationship with UF's DJ Durkin sounds like it's a big deal regarding his potential choice of Florida. I read a user over on 247 who claims Baker hasn't talked to the OSU staff for quite a while prior to last night's conversation, if true that's not a good sign either. (EDIT: Just looked up Birm's interview with him from July 1st, and Baker says there that he talks to OSU nearly every other week). Relationships often play a HUGE role. They were perhaps the biggest reason why Raekwon McMillan and Justin Hilliard chose OSU (their closest relationship in recruiting was with Urban Meyer).

At the same time, he has to know Durkin is very unlikely to stay there if/when Muschamp goes? And that it is VERY likely that Muschamp is out after another poor season or two. Just another reason why OSU seems like the most obvious choice here.

+1 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

For those looking for the smoke, from Wiltfong:

Based on what I heard on Sunday, I honestly would not be surprised if he chose the Gators, but the Buckeyes remain the prediction. This is a lot closer than people think. Baker is still working through his decision leading up to Friday.

http://247sports.com/Board/30/Contents/Jerome-Baker-Wants-To-Pay-My-Resp...

ShawneeBuck74's picture

Correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't Florida take 6 good LBs in the same class as Anzalone? And again last year, I thought they recruited well there.  Wouldn't Baker be facing numbers there too? I

You win with people. 

TraSmith4's picture

They took zero linebackers last year and so far their '15 class is sitting at zero so even if they took a bunch of them 2 years ago there is definitely not a numbers crunch down there. 

Hayze's picture

A couple of things....it is Bill Greene who everyone is citing when they say anyone rooster thinks it's UF. From everything I've read, this is him thinking that, not knowing.

Also, Baker spoke with Fickell last night, among other things talking about how Ryan Shazier was once committed to Florida.

+2 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

Evidently they've come to snuff it.

+2 HS
Buck Wild's picture

The kid clearly stated he knows where he wants to go, contrary to these last minute reports of 'his mind is not made up' (smh). He has been in touch regularly w/ tOSU staff (per Birm's reports).

Why would he be committed to attend FNL later this month? 

Because he will be a Buckeye...

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

This is how I feel about the situation that makes me believe Baker is all Buckeye.

For one, the kid stated that he already knows where he wants to go so why wait to commit. That right there along with these last minute reports of him not being able to decide between the two just makes me believe that this is all a smokescreen, just like Hilliard with Notre Dame. Hilliard mentioned that he was all Ohio State since his visit in May, yet he led many to believe he couldn't pick between the two.

Birm I know you said that Baker isn't the type to play recruiting games but all of these kids like to have fun, especially when they know that everyone already knows who they are going to pick. You saw it with Hilliard and ND, you saw it with Murray and Oregon, you can see it with Cowart and Oregon, and you can see it with CeCe Jefferson and Alabama. Everyone knows what school they are going to so they try to create suspense.

Another thing, why would Baker all of a sudden move his timeline up the same day as Cornell moved his up? Meyer has his hands all over this which leads me to my next point. This kid mentioned that he talks to Meyer once, twice, as many as three times a week. Meyer isn't letting this kid get out of state. Plus why come to FNL if you aren't going to be a Buckeye? That's a dead giveaway just like Cornell and Hilliard mentioning they were going to be at FNL before they made their commitments.

And my last point, Baker said he's looking for a feeling of HOME, when he talks about Ohio State, he mentions them being HOME. This kid will be a Buckeye on the 11th.

+10 HS
irishfury's picture

I don't have a good feeling about this one.  I heard about 4 weeks ago from someone close to him that it was Florida.  I didn't give it much thought until Florida started getting steam and named in his top 3.  The other thing that made my spider sense tingle the wrong way was it seems like Hillard/Cornell seem to be trying to convince him to come to OSU.  Where with Harris it seems like they seem he is already in the bag and part of the team.

+1 HS
FLBuckeye22's picture

Some of you look waaaay too much into everything each kid says. It's almost humorous, and also kind of disturbing, watching people hang on every word uttered by some of these kids. I think Baker is one of the best true 'football players' in this class, but at the end of the day, that spot will be filled with someone that wants to be a Buckeye. I'm a big, big fan of this young man, and I really hope he picks the Buckeyes...but if not, there are so many uncommitted players we can use that spot on. I really wish we had a legitimate shot at Malik Jefferson...combined w/ Raekwon and J.H., that could possibly end up being the best LB trio in college football history. As a fan, what matters most to me is the product on the field in the fall...and I believe this staff is recruiting the players that best suit our needs. There will always be guys we take that you or I may not agree with, and there will always be guys we may not recruit as hard as you or I think we should...but everyone should relax knowing we are always going to end with solid classes that will help us compete for Championships.

305Buck's picture

Baker will announce on Friday at 10 A.M. eastern time during a ceremony at his school. Finalists are Ohio State, Florida and Tennessee.

+1 HS
Beat Meatchicken's picture

305 telling it like it is folks.

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Home is where the heart is......I think it is Buckeyes all day!!!!!!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+3 HS
edr4225's picture

cant wait till this friday, Baker Conner and Hilliard, now thats what i call Linebacker U 

lets go bucks!!

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

If you will see in my other post (two of them) a week or 2 ago.  I heard from people that knew him Florida was the choice.  I normally disregard it but it came from a source I trust.  Still didn't believe it then his top 3 came out and Florida was on it and it made me sad.

-2 HS
BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

I know some wont like this but....he decides Florida then so be it!! I guarantee whatever person we use with this scholorship will be just as good if not better !! It's funny how a lot of people thought we wouldn't get Hilliard! Well we did with the added bonus of Cornell!! Hilliard>baker!! Baker might have been waiting to see what Hilliard was gonna do! Hilliard choosing the good guys makes baker go somewhere else! McMillan and Hilliard is tough composition! (Booker-burger-Connor) If he don't pick us it won't affect this class at all!!

-3 HS
JDunc686's picture

Why are you yelling?

+3 HS
NH-IO's picture

He's excited about the composition!

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

+1 HS
SWAGGERNAUTICAL's picture

Anyone think if they miss on Baker, that the staff looks at Mckee

FROMTHE18's picture

Ive checked this throughout the day and I really like the comments on the post…Ive made a few myself but feel like I want to add more. So, I will. If Baker goes to UF, it'll be portrayed as a win over Urban for his old program and a big get for Muschamp in Urban's home state. But, we have Hilliard (the key, IMO) and I think Baker is awesome and obviously want him in the class but if he wants to go to UF, thats cool by me. UF right now is a joke compared to what Urban built it into following the laughable Zook years. I look at UF as a project right now, not a stable situation. If elite players are still think its Urban's Florida Gators then I can't help but lol and move on. In other words, if Baker goes there, Ill laugh, not out of anger or in hope Baker fails (quite the opposite), but just their expectations will collapse once they get to see what that program down there actually is. If he comes to OSU, its a wise decision and a good one for me. If he goes to UF, best of luck to him because IMO, he may not need it for his personal game, but for overall program success and winning a title, he will. 

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I will agree with you & others on one thing: as far as the LB OSU had to have in this class, they got him in Hilliard. However, Baker is a world class HS athlete & it would be a big loss for OSU if he goes elsewhere. 

lljjgg's picture

Weird thing about the Florida LB depth argument (i.e. that OSU has much more depth at OLB than Florida, which is part of what pushed Baker to UF) is that I just saw an article saying that Adonis Thomas (2015 OLB) is a Florida lock. That'll give UF 1 OLB in the 2015 class, matching OSU's 1 OLB  in the 2015 class (Justin Hilliard - who according to many sites may eventually end up as a MLB).

Yes, Florida didn't get any LB recruits in the 2014 class, but they got 4 OLB recruits in the 2013 class alone. OSU had 3 OLB commits in the 2014 class (1 of those in Sam Hubbard looks to be moving over to TE, dropping OSU's OLB commits to 2 in that class; additionally, many argue that Dante Booker could end up as a DE/OLB hybrid at the next level).  OSU had only 1 OLB commit in the 2013 in Mike Mitchell, who is now gone.

So according to 247 in the 2013-2014 classes, OSU has 3 OLB commits, arguably 2. Florida has 4. That is a really easy way for OSU to undercut this whole depth argument - and I'm sure they have.

+1 HS
Daddypete's picture

Keep in mind Sam Hubbard can (and I believe should) eventually be a linebacker at OSU. The only other position they should consider for him is free safety. He has great speed for a tall guy and man, can he bring the wood. Think David Fulcher. Frankly, he is such a good (and smart) athlete he would succeed anywhere the Bucks needed him, but I think some of his natural ability to hit is lost on the offensive side of the ball. That said, I hope Jerome makes a great long term decision for his playing career and his future. Nothing like winning national championships and eventually being part of the best Alumni Assn in the U.S. C'mon, Jerome, pull the trigger and become a Buckeye...you will not regret it.

"Stand and Deliver!"

jamesrbrown322's picture

You had me at David Fulcher!

UrbzRenewal's picture

Alas, he has confirmed his move to TE, where he will be a freak of nature.

+2 HS
toad1204's picture
Sammy Silv doin some work

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+6 HS
lljjgg's picture

Messages from Hilliard and Cornell a few days ago, call from Coach Fickell last night, Sammy Sliv artwork tonight (presumably). They are putting on the press haha.

Even if he were to choose Florida, at least the OSU staff can say they did everything in their power to change his mind/make him feel wanted by OSU.

+2 HS
Woodshed's picture

OSU was also his first offer.

Hayze's picture

If he choses OSU, his recruitment is over.

If he choses Florida, it will go all the way until signing day and he'll be on flip watch immediately.

+4 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Baker to OSU was a layup for the coaching staff.  I hope they didn't just bounce it off the rim (sorry, got LBJ on the mind).

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Bill Greene hearing that Baker has silently committed to Florida and recruits are saying Baker is recruiting them to Florida.

Steve Wiltfong saying that he isn't buying Baker being a silent commit and from talking to his sources this morning, they feel it's Ohio State.

Clash of the Titans...

Another poster on Bucknuts with inside info saying that Herman and Damien Harris thinks that Baker is a Buckeye.

+4 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

Why is Damien Harris involved? And, other than being on staff, why is Herman involved? Herman coaches offense and Ohio is not his recruiting area, right?

+4 HS
lljjgg's picture

@BethesdaBuck: Gave you a +1, not sure why you got downvoted for that. To your questions, I would assume Herman's plugged into how the staff in general feels about big recruits (and Baker would definitely qualify as a big recruit).

I saw the post 305 is referring to. IIRC, it's a poster who claims he coaches the teeball/baseball (can't recall the age) team Tom Herman's son is on, and talks to Herman occasionally about OSU football/recruiting. So it's one of those take it with a grain of salt. Some people claim insight and are to be believed, others want to make themselves look important and are full of it. Unfortunately, it's close to impossible to tell which are which in recruiting haha.

I will say this though, I really like Bill Greene, he is as good as they get. But if I had to put my money on Steve Wiltfong or Bill Greene, I'd personally put it on Steve Wiltfong. I'd also just add this: Baker "recruiting players to Florida" could mean he's committing to Florida, or it could just mean that he's not sure and he wants to know he has players/friends at either place. Doesn't necessarily mean he's locked into Florida IMO. Cornell made some twitter posts like that about ND a week or so before he committed to OSU. Just my two cents.

+3 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

Thanks @lljjgg. Very helpful response. Thanks for understanding, too, that my questions were straightforward and honest.

+1 HS

Herman coaches offense and Ohio is not his recruiting area, right?

I don't think that matters. Vrabel was involved Jamarco Jones recruitment.

brunstar's picture

He's a Buckeye, everyone just chill out.

+3 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Would rather see him commit to another B1G school.

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Out LB depth without Jerome Baker still looks really good, but I don't get why he would go to a school that only won 4 times last year and seems to be headed down hill.

Sam
Darron Lee (6-2 225, rFr.)
Chris Worley (6-2 218, rFr.)
Dante Booker (6-3 215, Fr.)
Devan Bogard (6-0 210, Jr.)

Mike
Curtis Grant (6-3 240, Sr.)
Raekwon McMillan (6-2 240, Fr.)
Camren Williams (6-1 228, Jr.)

Nick Conner - 2015

Will
Joshua Perry (6-4 250, Jr.)
Trey Johnson (6-1 225, So.)
Kyle Berger (6-2 225, Fr.)
Justin Hilliard - 2015

305Buck's picture

Booker is a Will, he may grow big enough to be a Mike down the road.

Baker would be a Walkout/Sam linebacker.

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

I was playing coach.  I moved Booker to Sam when Hubbard went to TE and because Hilliard is coming in as a Will.  I want Booker on the field asap because he's a great athlete and Sam looks like the best place for that.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Agree that you want Booker on the field asap but I don't see that happening at Sam/Walkout either. If I recall correctly, Worley and Lee were the two best LBs all spring according to the coaches. I believe Booker may end up backing up Kwon next year once he gets bigger with a year in Mick's system. I don't know if he will have the speed or skills to be a Sam/Walkout LB. Plus, Grant will be gone and Cam Williams isn't seeing the field anymore after last year so Kwon will need a backup for next season.

+1 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

Ok, first post ever. Thrilled to be here and will be even more thrilled when Jerome verbals on the 11th. And the best will be when he signs on National Signing day!

+9 HS
rosycheeks's picture

Welcome! Took a few weeks for the admins to approve your user name?

Buck my Nuts's picture

Nope, only about 36 hours. 

buckguyfan1's picture

Bring home the Baker, the Chef has room. 

Welcome to "Hell's Kitchen". 

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Guy on Bucknuts claim his nephew goes to school with Baker and his nephew told him that Baker wants the Gators while his parents are pushing him to Ohio State using distance as a factor. His nephew stated that Baker does not want to stay in Ohio and loves Florida (more than just football).

+2 HS
Buckifan4Life's picture

Nah,... I'm pretty sure he's all Buckeye. 

Hayze's picture

Why?

I'm pretty sure at this point he's going to name Florida his leader on Friday.

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Hayze, just curious (because I respect your opinion), why do you feel he's a Gator on Friday?

I noticed on his Instagram the last two pictures are of him in a Gators hat (dated this week or so), and there are the Bill Greene rumblings, but others (like Wiltfong seem confident it's still Buckeyes for Baker). He seems to be showing a lot of love to OSU as well on twitter (based on what he's favoriting from fans). So personally I'm really 50/50 on this. I think even if he does want the Gators at this point, there's a chance his parents desire for him to stay in Ohio will sway him in the end.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

Honestly, mostly I'm just preparing myself for the worst.

I think it is more likely he picks Florida on Friday than OSU, BASED SOLEY ON THE FLORIDA SMOKE. Everything else points to OSU, from him naming us his leader multiple times over the past year, to his parents clearly wanting him to stay closer to home and being pro-OSU to his quotes about OSU feeling like home and his family having gone there.

Which is why I said he'll name Florida his leader on Friday. Because if he picks Florida, this is a recruitment that will go until signing day. I think right now he is enamoured with writing his own path, doing the unexpected and the school he is the most comfortable with the allows him to do that is Florida. However, I would still expect him to be a Buckeye on signing day (assuming we continue to push extremely hard for him and don't somehow land Malik Jefferson or something!)

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Absolutely, thank you for the great, in-depth response!

I will say, the one thing I've heard a lot about him from the recruiting writers I've read is that he's "not the type to play games." I definitely believe them, at the same time, I wouldn't blame him if he wanted a bit of mystery surrounding his decision so that the people who show up are at the very least delightfully excited. I noticed one of his friends tweeted him that he planned to show up to Baker's announcement in full OSU garb, which Baker favorited. Hopefully if he plans to go Gator he'll at least let that kid know privately so things don't get awkward haha.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

No problem!

That definitely popped into my mind too. Just think about the last few big Ohio players who had announcement ceremonies. Hilliard never tipped his hand and his family was saying they still hadn't made a decision all the way up until the night before. Remember Erick Smith and Lattimore? They were talking about delaying their decision and visiting Michigan State and Michigan, just to draw up suspense because everyone knew they were Buckeyes.

So yeah. Never know with these kids. Could be straight up and he's seriously torn or could be just doing to to create drama.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

EDIT: posted twice

Remington2323's picture

The my cousin's, friend's, Grandpa told me game. Usually all bologna. 

-1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Kid is picking Florduh but the process isnt over till the fax is sent so lets not trash him Friday.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Sometimes with this kids, I feel like they think the potential schools are close enough, they just pick the other because everyone was expecting something else. Everyone's been saying Baker was all Buckeye for like a year. I wonder if this is a case of a 17 year just wanting to do something unexpected?

Buck my Nuts's picture

What's the relationship between Baker and Hilliard? Or Baker and Raekwon "the Chef"?

whiskeyjuice's picture

Good question!! I don't hear much about Baker's relationship with members of the team. I do remember reading something recently in regards to Cornell and Hilliard.They were asked if they were recruiting Baker. I don't remember the verbatim response but the gist was that they haven't spoke with him much. This was a couple weeks ago so I don't know if anything has changed.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

buckeyeguy0615's picture

They have been tweeting him a lot so I assume they're talking.

brunstar's picture

Once again, he's all Buckeye, relax.

lljjgg's picture

Just a thought:
Maybe he had his heart broken like I did during the Jan. 2007 BCS National Championship game, and has spent the last 7 years coming up with his plan to troll Florida Gators fans in the best possible way he could come up with -- get their hopes up that he's going there, only to choose OSU in the end.

In which case, I applaud you Mr. Baker. I applaud you, sir!

+4 HS
Hayze's picture

What would I give for this to be true.

I've actually thought about this before...if I was a recruit. Letting Michigan and Notre Dame and Florida or Alabama think they have the upper hand for you, saying all the right things to them, only to break their heart and chose OSU on signing day.

+1 HS