Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

I know you all hate this topic but...

305Buck's picture
July 5, 2014 at 4:45pm
82 Comments

Gibson has moved his timeline up to the middle of his season, end of September, beginning of October after a few official visits.

He still hears from Tennessee, Ohio State, Miami and Arizona is starting to talk to him now.

He's looking to visit Ohio State in July after The Opening and has no leaders at this moment.

ITWASME's picture

Don't need another QB. Save a scholly for other positions and players.

+7 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Gibson is a rare talent. You take him if he wants in.

+11 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Not necessarily.  There is more to consider than just how fast he can run with a football.  He was recently disciplined by his school (his offense wasn't publicly disclosed) and there are still character questions.  Outside of looking at his twitter activity who really knows this kid?  The coaches will do their due dilligence I'm sure.

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He was recently disciplined by his school (his offense wasn't publicly disclosed) and there are still character questions.  Outside of looking at his twitter activity who really knows this kid? 

Well then I'm sure it says a lot that our coaches are still recruiting him...

I want this kid. If he improves his mechanics and sticks at QB, he'll be a dynamite playmaker. If not, he'll be the best receiver in the country.

I've been the guy saying "none of you guys know the kid so lay off" for months now. I really hope he picks us, but if he does, I'll be really sad when I inevitably see a bunch of 45-year-old men talking about how they didn't want a top-15 player because he's active on Twitter and maybe got into a fight in high school.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

65-year-old men

Fixed for Earle.

If he does commit to Ohio State, I doubt there will be any complaining. They'll be celebrating another 5 star talent that picked Ohio State.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I'm just glad I'm 43 & not lumped in with a bunch of old ass 45 year olds. Dudes that age are weird!

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+9 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Wrong, Poison. We're "creepy," remember?

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

The thing is BDude, I gotta admit, I am kind of creepy, but I'm just not weird yet. See, I'm creepy in a 'wearing a skin suit, put the lotion in the basket' sort of way - but not weird in a 'I have a bad opinion of Torrance Gibson' sort of way...so I think I'm good here.

*/lights a smoke, tends to moths, continues to sew*

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kids got a lot of talent however i think he has too many people in his ear telling him different things. I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind again and makes coaches wait longer. I think it's time he makes a decision and let everyone know what's going on, once and for all. 

BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Thanks for the info 305. I'm of the opinion that if Urbz wants him to be a Buckeye, I want him to be a Buckeye. Hopefully he makes that visit.

+3 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

I love this topic actually. Number 1 athlete in the country.  Tell him you'll give him a chance to compete at QB. If he wins great.  If not you still have the number 1 athlete .

+6 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

True, but I doubt he goes anywhere unless they guarantee him a position at QB. For better or worse, he will have that kind of pull during his recruitment. 

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I would still like to have him, but tales of many schools slowing down their recruitment of him due to issues, perceived or otherwise, has cooled me on him.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+3 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I'd take him as a wide receiver if he's interested but I like Joey Burrow as our QB. And before anyone thinks I'm being petty trying to demote him from QB to WR. The dude is 6'4" and has a set of wheels. He'd be dynamite in the end zone. We're only going to have Jeff Greene for 1 year as our tall WR.

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He could be a first-round pick and a pro bowler in the NFL at receiver. He has the potential to do that as a quarterback, but there are a lot of mechanical tweaks to be made. If he comes here, obviously he's going to start out as a quarterback, but if he gets buried on the depth chart, I'd expect the staff to move him to receiver.

He's one of the best football players in the country, flat-out. Anyone who wouldn't take him based on his freaking twitter account needs to step off their high horse.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

ronbizi's picture

I think the issues are a lot more than a twitter account.  Supposedly, low morality SEC schools stopped recruiting him.  I think that says something when his talent is so great.

+1 HS
Bags5150's picture

Greene has 2 years of eligibility

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

I'd take him as a QB (if he wants in, obviously), and if it doesn't work out when he's on the team ask him if he'd be open to moving to WR (most scouts I've read would consider him a top-3 WR prospect in the country). If he works out at QB, fantastic. If he doesn't and he's willing to consider the move to WR, you have that tremendously talented tall WR OSU has generally lacked in the last couple of classes. He plays WR at most camps, so personally I feel there must be a part of him that understands WR might be the position that gets him drafted.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

He's working out at QB for the first two days at The Opening. I'm curious to see how well he does there.

+5 HS
Mortc15's picture

What I don't get is, why if he's only considering schools that want him as a qb, is he willing to play WR for the 7 on 7 camps he does sometimes with other elite qbs? If you're set on being a qb, quit camping as a WR and focus on being a qb. 

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

I remember him mentioning that he only plays WR at 7 on 7 camps because he goes out there to have fun.

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Another top recruit, Deon Cain, is the same way. Only plays WR in the 7-on-7's. My feeling is that I want to give these kids, who, you have to remember, are enormously successful at their positions on Friday nights, the chance to win the starting job at their college. They want the ball in their hands. I like that kind of kid.

What's funny (or telling) is that Buckeye fans, who've enjoyed crazy success with TP and Brax, both dual threats with hitches in their throwing motions, may be looking for a more consistent distributor instead of a highlight reel. Not saying they're wrong, it's just an observation.

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

What's funny (or telling) is that Buckeye fans, who've enjoyed crazy success with TP and Brax, both dual threats with hitches in their throwing motions, may be looking for a more consistent distributor instead of a highlight reel. Not saying they're wrong, it's just an observation.

Honestly, I'd really like to see this from a QB & it's one of the reasons I really liked Kenny G. I would like less of a guy who can do it himself & more of a guy who gets the ball to all the weapons...and there are now a stockpile of weapons. Don't get me wrong, I have always thought Braxton is one of the greatest football players I've ever seen, but I would prefer if he got the ball out  more & kept it less.

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

I thought he came out awhile ago and said Tennessee was his leader?

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

It's interesting that he now has "no leader" at this point, after Tennessee and Auburn were run away favorites just a couple of weeks ago.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Mark it down...If Tennessee and Auburn quit recruiting this kid it is probably a eligibility issue. Those 2 schools would take a convicted child molester if it would help them win. This kid has accepted a heavy handshake or done something we havent heard about yet. I wouldnt get my hopes up on this  one. If I'm wrong sue me,but sec teams dont  abandon recruits of this caliber unless  the situation is dire.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

305Buck's picture

Auburn backed off him because they liked others at his position better, e.g. Francois who's committing to his school of choice at the end of this month and Auburn is one of his top two schools along with FSU.

TheBadOwl's picture

+7 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I thought the word was that for whatever reason Tennessee backed off from him recently?

305Buck's picture

Yup but he talked to Butch Jones on the 3rd and Jones informed him that they still want him in Tennessee. I still don't see anyway that this kid ends up in Tennessee, his ego is too big for him to want to play on a losing team. As he mentioned before, he loves attention, and since Tennessee fans and coaches are obsessed with him, they're the perceived leaders right now, but in the end this kid will end up at a winning team, and I wouldn't rule out Ohio State, especially if he visits with his 7 on 7 team like he's supposed to be doing.

teddyballgame's picture

Right now, he's just saying things to get attention again.  IF he ever makes it up here then we can talk about him seriously.

+7 HS
route4buckeye's picture

I don't want him. Please go to Tennessee and get moved to wideout.

+5 HS
Son of Sevenless's picture

No room at this point.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Great talent but has the ship sailed? Says all these things but I will wait and see if any of it pans out.

What did Birm deem the category of players who always say they absolutely love Ohio State, its their dream school, etc but never visit? I think it was named after the kid from Georgia. Can't remember his name but he said he always wanted to visit, Ohio State was his dream school, always "scheduled" visits but never came. I'll put Gibson in that category.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

I trust Urban to make the best decision for this team.  Not sure what that decision is, but his good judgment is well-documented.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

If he visits and we still want him, I think he's a Buckeye. I'm hoping this recent twist in his recruitment may produce some maturity and reflection. From our standpoint, unless there are real character or academic issues (and not just teen incidents), he's too good of a player to turn away, whether he turns out to be a QB or WR.

FtheNCAA's picture

He's got talent you can't turn away unless it's something unforgivable. But get him on campus, and if he commits try to mature him as much as possible. He's got legitimate heisman caliber talent.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Is there even a need at this point for another QB?  Burrow in '15, Clark in '17, most likely Haskins in '16.  Save the scholly and the headache and go grab another stud OL or DL-you can never have enough of them.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

No, but you cant pass on a talent like Gibson. He has the potential to be a 1st round QB or WR.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

It's funny how back in January most of Buckeye nation was ecstatic at the possibility of getting Gibson but his recruitment has made most back off him, but I for one would still be excited to have him. The kid led his team to a state championship in one of Florida's toughest divisions during his first year starting at QB. Kid put up over 1900 passing yards, over 1000 rushing yards, while adding 19 passing TDs, 10 rushing TDs, 3 interceptions and no fumbles. This kid might not be the best passer right now, but one thing he does do is take care of the ball and make smart decisions, which his TD to turnover ratio shows.

This is a win-win situation for Ohio State. He wont see the field at QB for 2 or 3 years at Ohio State depending on who wins the job next fall between Jones and Barrett. He either shows enough improvement at QB within that time frame that makes Meyer and Herman confident enough to leave him at QB, which he would be a beast QB in this system, or you move him to WR and he'll be a beast split end. There's nothing wrong with this pickup.

Some people need to watch this and remind themselves of how special this kid will be if he reaches full potential.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/642539/highlights/120093376

+5 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I said it in another thread, at this point I'm not going to give him much thought until he actually visits. If we get him for an unofficial visit it's certainly a good sign. I'll let the staff take care of how they handle his recruitment. He's such a great football player, you have to be excited if he goes to your school.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+5 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

You seem a lot more in the know than myself, but I thought he was only interested in schools recruiting him for QB.  Has he said if he doesn't get reps at QB, he will go to WR willingly?  That changes things in terms of signing him in my mind.  I was under the impression it was a QB or nothing kind of deal with him-and if that was the case and he wasn't starting day 1, he'd probably transfer.

warosu's picture

DO NOT NEED HIM!!!!!!!! HE IS A DIVA

-10 HS
warosu's picture

Really? Dv's on opinions, guess some of you are diva's too

-6 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I think it was the all caps, bud.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+10 HS
toad1204's picture

Hopefully the backing off by the schools has righted his ship along with the schools discipline.  

However I could care less about him on the recruiting front until an on campus visit happens.  

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+5 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Honestly I'd forgotten about this kid.  If he makes the visit and we're back in shape then awesome but at this point wouldn't really be disappointed if he goes elsewhere.

+6 HS
otrain2416's picture

He's a special player, you take him if he wants in. I'd prefer him at WR but if he wants to have a first shot at QB I'd give him a look.

Chris Raiden's picture

My problem is, kid like this, if you take him as a quarterback, he's going to stay at quarterback. With the way things are going in the college football world, especially at that position, if you don't like the depth chart above you (read: anyone, at a certain stage), you transfer.

I don't see him moving to wide receiver until it's too late and he's struggling to get a camp invite in the NFL because he wasted so much time as a quarterback.

-1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

With the sprinkle situation, if proven true then he gone. So, I'd like to aim at another elite DL prospect to help fill that spot on the depth chart if things go further south for Sprinkle. Not that I don't want Gibson, but I like the way the class looks right now and I like its trajectory without Gibson. Not saying Gibson wouldn't make it better but I am happy without him. 

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

While I made some jokes above, I think the class is fine without Gibson. Not because I think he's a Diva or any of this, (I don't him,) but rather because I like what I saw in Joe Burrow & despite what we saw in the Spring Game, Jones or Barrett will step up next year. Hell, maybe Collier will be the one. I have faith that there is someone there that can handle the job & as I alluded to earlier in the thread - I am hoping for the next QB to be more of a distributor. Now, if Gibson were to be a WR at OSU - then I say yes, barring serious disciplinary/character  concerns by the staff, take him! But I think OSU's in a good place with the class as it stands & like the QB they landed.

+4 HS
zacisone's picture

Hey! "IF" he can convince Urban he will be a team player, then I have no problem with him. If he can't? Cya!

Zacisone

+3 HS
PresidentMeyer88's picture

Hopefully we get Damien Harris soon. Being able to play in the same backfield as Harris would be a huge sales pitch to Gibson.

Mike Hunt

305Buck's picture

Tennessee insider Doug Matthews confirmed on the radio this morning that Tennessee is not recruiting Gibson anymore, they already have 2, potentially 3 players who could play QB in this class and they have moved on.

Looks like Miami, Ohio State, and Arizona are the only schools left contacting him.

Miami wants him to play WR and they don't run a spread, so Gibson has said there's no chance he ends up there, and I don't see him at Arizona. If this kid makes the visit to Ohio State this month, then I fully believe that he's a Buckeye.

+5 HS
SilverState's picture

As was mentioned in a different thread, if Harris would commit soon, would be a huge selling point to Gibson.

FROMTHE18's picture

If true, wow is this a story. Just amazing the top Dual Threat QB is struggling to get what he wants out of the recruiting process. A lot of the talk has been that he is a better ATH than a QB, meaning a switch to WR would perhaps be the better call for him (similar to Jalin Marshall). I think OSU would take him as a QB, but Im not sure we need to. I'd actually be pretty happy if Arizona and Rich Rod got him. 

+2 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I would imagine Auburn would go after him hard again if they whiff on their QB targets.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

The Rill Dill's picture

Shit, or get off the pot already.

-1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

If he wanted to play QB at OSU he should have made it for a camp to be worked out and evaluated. Without that evaluation he'll be catching passes instead of throwing them.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

They are backing off because he insists that he is a QB but if you watch his film it's really hard to believe he would be a starting QB anywhere for at least 2-3 years and apparently he has some character/attitude issues so that is a hard combo for coaches who have a specific offensive system in place to fall in love with. If you look at him however as a pure athlete he is a supremely gifted 5 star talent! If you have a creative offensive coordinator and head coach he could get on the field pretty early which is exactly why it makes sense that Malzahn, Urban and Rich Rod would still want this kid because they love those type of players. I think he will end up a receiver when all is said and done so I would definitely take him. In my opinion I think he still ends up at Auburn. The fact that Notre Dame is not even interested in him says something as well in my opinion.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Yea I'm waiting to hear how well he does throwing the ball at The Opening starting today. 247 national analysts mentioned that they will be keeping a close eye on him today and tomorrow to see how well he does since he hasn't been to any camps working out at QB.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

From 247 National Analyst Ryan Bartow: Deandre Francois, Torrance Gibson and Blake Barnett all spot on with accuracy on one hitch throws so far. All showing velocity as well. These drills are all 5-step drops under center so far. :

+7 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

You're going to give Birm a run for his money with all the 247 and Rivals stuff you'll be telling us.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

305Buck's picture

Dilfer is also coaching up Gibson and saying how much he's improving.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture
+1 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

To be fair, i could make that throw. This doesnt show me anything.

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

He should learn how to throw with his right hand, he will have much better success.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
305Buck's picture

According to 247 national analyst Barton Simmons, Wimbush, Stidham, Lewerke, Murray, Rosen and Gibson has looked the best so far throughout the first 3 sessions.

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Keep the updates coming! I heard Wimbush was killing it.

305Buck's picture

Torrance Gibson struggling throwing the deep ball per Barton Simmons.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture
+5 HS
305Buck's picture

Barton Simmons observation from the first morning session on Gibson:

A late addition to the event was five-star athlete Torrance Gibson and early on in the day the dual-threat quarterback was looking sharp. As the routes get deeper, he struggles because he doesn’t spin the ball consistently, but Gibson had some nice moments for a quarterback that doesn’t have a lot of polish.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture
+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

A cannon with accuracy - love it

+3 HS
irishfury's picture

That ball had some heat on it.

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

Birm tweet:

Talked with Torrance Gibson. Says he really wants two things to happen: to visit #OhioState this summer and to stop being called "athlete."

+4 HS
FLBuckeye22's picture

I'm torn on this because there are soooo many prospects left that are legitimate possibilities for us, that I just don't know if we can afford to take two QBs. Also, I think most of us can agree that it's been tiring, at times, the past several years having phenomenal athletes at the position that really just cannot throw with consistent accuracy. Don't get me wrong, I loved having Pryor and I love Miller because of what they can do, but I don't remember what operating a successful 2-minute drill from the pocket, with the game on the line, wearing S&G looks like. Please don't reference Guiton here...loved him also, but he wasn't our starter. Just saying, it would be nice to watch someone "sling-it around" for a couple years. All-in-all, I do view the spread as being more "exciting", but 'bama is still the team everyone else is chasing, and they have been awfully successful the past several years with nothing but pocket-passers. We have none of those on our roster right now. I did like Barrett coming out of H.S., though, he appears to be a true dual-threat...that is what our offense is designed for, so for design-sake, let's stick with that for now. You may all disagree, and that's fine, but I really think we have to get away from the "athlete" playing QB. We've had option QBs lately, not dual-threats. Not having true balance will always be a dagger for us against teams like MSU. In the 2015 class, we could have benefitted much more from a Kyler Murray or a Blake Barnett than we ever could/will from Gibson, but that's where we focused all of our QB recruiting time. I watched Gibson and American Heritage destroy their opponent in the State Championship Game in December, and Gibson may have played his best game (and truly looked very good), but I still really hope he's been recruited this hard because of his potential and not his performance. In the end, I guess I'm just not big on experiments at the most important positions, so I think "true" dual-threats better suit us...but I'll sit back, shut up and let our staff earn their pay.

+1 HS
Gray Box's picture
+1 HS
SilverState's picture

For those of you who Torrance's social media use sometimes rubs you the wrong way (Me included), kind of good to see he may be taming it down some(1:23 mark).

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/7/8/5880537/torrance-gibson-elite-11-tennessee-quarterback-recruiting#ooid=dyZHFxbjq444c0xjP-4r1ANsg3efJUkF

305Buck's picture